Gardening Help Thread.

plant-nursery-with-shade-protection-to-protect-from-the-sunlight-commercial-ct7gyx.jpg

Perfect solution but how much would that cost? I bet over twenty thousand.
If you buy it as a kit..........that would be expensive as hell..............I could bend the arches with 2 inch conduit though................

Segment Bends

But that would still cost a pretty penny 4 sticks of conduit per arch..............I'd actually though about doing so in the backyard but that is a major undertaking....................

The building of it...........would take some effort but is doable...........

What about this stuff..............

willowgarden2.jpg
That willow screen might work if you had some support behind it. It would look a lot better imo too.
I was thinking about this stuff.................

Shop Backyard X-Scapes 0.203-in Dia x 6-ft H x 16-ft L Natural Rolled Peeled Reed Fencing at Lowes.com

Just not sure..............I agree it would look better than the metal fencing...........

They have bamboo fencing as well.........but it's a lot more...............got to do something soon or I'm in the dog house.........

That looks like it would work. It has wire woven into it as well. Kind of expensive considering it is only 16 feet. But then again it does look a lot better than just wire and is probably A LOT easier to work with. You wont need much if it's a small area anyway.

Deer can jump that easily. The narrower width of raised beds might discourage them though. I always put my raised beds inside the tilled garden to keep critters away. I'm using 6ft welded wire and with wood posts and bracing for the corners and t posts for the middle. I could use t posts for the whole thing but I like the wood look and the ability to hammer crap into them.

In Georgia they have to put chicken wire (fence) around the chicken yard and cover the top with chicken wire to keep the hawks from killing chickens amongst other critters.

I think that is a problem anywhere you have chickens and hawks. Neighbor just lost one a couple days ago to a hawk.
It will take about 4 rolls for the the raised bed I built already........it's 4 by 16 and I'd have to give her about 4 foot around it to be able to walk around it............or I could go a little bigger and go 16 wide and 20 long to put a narrow planting section along the fence inside the fenced in area.....................gonna be looking today more than likely.
Keep in mind that will also shade your plants.

What about this stuff..............

willowgarden2.jpg
That willow screen might work if you had some support behind it. It would look a lot better imo too.
I was thinking about this stuff.................

Shop Backyard X-Scapes 0.203-in Dia x 6-ft H x 16-ft L Natural Rolled Peeled Reed Fencing at Lowes.com

Just not sure..............I agree it would look better than the metal fencing...........

They have bamboo fencing as well.........but it's a lot more...............got to do something soon or I'm in the dog house.........

That looks like it would work. It has wire woven into it as well. Kind of expensive considering it is only 16 feet. But then again it does look a lot better than just wire and is probably A LOT easier to work with. You wont need much if it's a small area anyway.

Deer can jump that easily. The narrower width of raised beds might discourage them though. I always put my raised beds inside the tilled garden to keep critters away. I'm using 6ft welded wire and with wood posts and bracing for the corners and t posts for the middle. I could use t posts for the whole thing but I like the wood look and the ability to hammer crap into them.

In Georgia they have to put chicken wire (fence) around the chicken yard and cover the top with chicken wire to keep the hawks from killing chickens amongst other critters.

I think that is a problem anywhere you have chickens and hawks. Neighbor just lost one a couple days ago to a hawk.
It will take about 4 rolls for the the raised bed I built already........it's 4 by 16 and I'd have to give her about 4 foot around it to be able to walk around it............or I could go a little bigger and go 16 wide and 20 long to put a narrow planting section along the fence inside the fenced in area.....................gonna be looking today more than likely.
Keep in mind that will also shade your plants.
Oops.........the perimeter plants wouldn't like that then............

If you buy it as a kit..........that would be expensive as hell..............I could bend the arches with 2 inch conduit though................

Segment Bends

But that would still cost a pretty penny 4 sticks of conduit per arch..............I'd actually though about doing so in the backyard but that is a major undertaking....................

What you propose is legal under the National Electric Code since the maximum degrees for a length of electrical conduit is one hundred and eighty degrees.

Segment Bends

What you propose is legal under the National Electric Code since the maximum degrees for a length of electrical conduit is one hundred and eighty degrees.

edit: two hundred and seventy degrees and the electrical conduit structure you propose is legal under the NEC if you have at least one wire running though the conduit.

Segment Bends

edit: two hundred and seventy degrees and the electrical conduit structure you propose is legal under the NEC if you have at least one wire running though the conduit.
LOL

Okay............25 foot diameter..................3 degree shots...............spacing between bends...........NO DOGS PLEASE........

:party:

you dont have to yell......ahh people who dont like dogs....well that just puts them on the list of people i will never trust and if my dogs dont like you....it an automatic veto that cant be over riden....

okay i got an electrical question.....my outdoor flood light on the house corner.....will not always come on when you flip the switch....it delays or doesnt come on till you flip the switch a couple of times....i have replaced the flood lamp and the switch...what next....the electric line from the switch to the light?

you dont have to yell......ahh people who dont like dogs....well that just puts them on the list of people i will never trust and if my dogs dont like you....it an automatic veto that cant be over riden....
Huh.........dog legging has nothing to do with animals..............It's about bending conduit............

When you bend conduit and you don't square up the next bend it's called a dog leg.........and makes your conduit run look like well.........bad..................not using the construction words there............

This all started with the green house picture..........I stated I could use 2 inch conduit to bend those arches for the green house.............

We do these type of bends a lot where I work.

okay i got an electrical question.....my outdoor flood light on the house corner.....will not always come on when you flip the switch....it delays or doesnt come on till you flip the switch a couple of times....i have replaced the flood lamp and the switch...what next....the electric line from the switch to the light?
Loose connection some where is possible................if you know someone who has a meter........open up the light cover to get to the wires...............take the wire nuts off of it.................have someone flip the switch and check for voltage there.............if it gets 120 volts ac as soon as you hit the switch then the power is not the problem.............the light is the problem..........possible loose socket or it has a photocell in it............or even motion sensor light......................

Most new outdoor floods have these sensors and they have sensitivity set screws.........adjusting these can solve the problem as well.........

Please don't touch the wires when testing........I'm sure someone in your family can check that voltage for you.

Instead of conduit........we'll use fencing top rails instead.........It's cheaper and easier.............

Found this site.........Farmers Almanac..........with some natural pest control measures.........

Bought the Blood Meal and diatomaceous earth today for the garden...........according to the almanac.......the blood meal repels deer and rabbits................without a fence..............

Gonna try it...............
22 Ways To Combat Garden Pests Naturally - Farmers' Almanac

1. Birds consume lots of insects and are a natural and attractive garden resident. Lure bug-eating birds to your garden area by placing a birdbath regularly filled with fresh water. This will also deter them from picking a tomato for the juice. Erect a bird feeder close by as well. Keep it filled with seeds in late autumn through early spring. Thus, the garden will be their existing haven and when summer rolls around they will feed on the insects at hand.

2. Guinea fowl set loose in the garden or lawn will eat ticks, hornworms, and Japanese beetles. Most won’t scratch or ruin plants or eat the vegetables as chickens may.

3. Dust green beans with garden lime to repel Japanese beetles.

4. Food-grade diatomaceous earth acts as a natural, abrasive barrier to crawling insects. Sprinkle food-grade diatomaceous earth beneath growing watermelon, cantaloupe, squash and all fruits and vegetables resting on the ground, as well as on plant leaves.

5. To deter cabbage moths (worms) from eating the leaves of cabbage, Brussels sprouts or kale, add 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper to 1 quart of water. Place in a spray bottle and apply to leaves, stems and the ground directly surrounding each plant.

6. Grasshoppers and aphids cause havoc in flowerbeds and vegetable gardens. Here’s a repelling spray you can make: Blend 2 – 4 hot peppers, 1 mild green pepper, and 1 small onion and one quart jar of water. Pour mixture into a bottle with a spray nozzle and apply as needed.

7. An all-purpose pest-control spray can easily be made by adding 2 teaspoon liquid detergent to warm water in a spray bottle.

8. Stop squirrels from digging up planted corn with a mixture of 2 tablespoons liquid fish fertilizer to a gallon of water sprayed on rows.

9. Discourage bigger pests such as a cat or dog from entering flower or garden beds by erecting lots of thin sticks or plastic forks in the ground among the seed beds, and surrounding young, tender plant starts. This leaves no room for animals to dig or disturb the plants, helping them get a good start.

10. Scatter dried blood meal (available at any home and garden center) on the ground between rows of vegetables in the garden every week to 10 days to deter deer. This works for rabbit and groundhogs, too. However, the blood meal tends to attract dogs. Sprinkle garden lime on top of the blood meal to repel the dogs.

11. Bright orange tape wrapped around stakes surrounding your garden plot has been known to keep moose away.

12. Keep raccoons, skunks and snakes out of the garden by applying a wide stripe of gardem lime around the garden perimeter. When an unwanted critter licks off the lime it will experience an unpleasant burning sensation, and hopefully leave the garden.

Forum List

Back