Galapagos study finds that new species can develop in as little as two generations

But we don't need to know how life started on earth- to see that Evolution(in the most overreaching and basic sense of the term) is the reason for the variety of life here on Earth- and for much of the reason of the distribution of life on earth.
Does evolution not claim there is a common ancestor? In order for the theory to be given credibility you first have to address the origin of life. .

Nope- actually the theory has amazing credibility and never once describes how life began.

Whether life somehow came into being on Earth, whether microbes from other planets 'seeded' earth, or whether some sky fairie planted microbes on earth- all immaterial to the theory of evolution.

As I said before- I don't need to know where the water came from, when I look at a river, to know that the river is flowing past me.

As always- this is your straw man to divert attention away from the topic of evolution.

So now- as asked before- what is the theory that you believe accounts for life on earth as we know it?
You ducked my question. Does the theory of evolution make the claim that we all evolved from a common ancestor? Yes or No.

But we don't need to know how life started on earth- to see that Evolution(in the most overreaching and basic sense of the term) is the reason for the variety of life here on Earth- and for much of the reason of the distribution of life on earth.
Does evolution not claim there is a common ancestor? In order for the theory to be given credibility you first have to address the origin of life. .

Nope- actually the theory has amazing credibility and never once describes how life began.

Whether life somehow came into being on Earth, whether microbes from other planets 'seeded' earth, or whether some sky fairie planted microbes on earth- all immaterial to the theory of evolution.

As I said before- I don't need to know where the water came from, when I look at a river, to know that the river is flowing past me.

As always- this is your straw man to divert attention away from the topic of evolution.

So now- as asked before- what is the theory that you believe accounts for life on earth as we know it?
You ducked my question. Does the theory of evolution make the claim that we all evolved from a common ancestor? Yes or No.

All life on Earth shares a common ancestor known as the last universal common ancestor (LUCA),[16][17][18] which lived approximately 3.5–3.8 billion years ago.[19] This should not be assumed to be the first living organism on Earth; a study in 2015 found "remains of biotic life" from 4.1 billion years ago in ancient rocks in Western Australia.[20][21] In July 2016, scientists reported identifying a set of 355 genes from the LUCA of all organisms living on Earth.[22] More than 99 percent of all species that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct.[23][24] Estimates of Earth's current species range from 10 to 14 million,[25][26] of which about 1.9 million are estimated to have been named[27] and 1.6 million documented in a central database to date.[28] More recently, in May 2016, scientists reported that 1 trillion species are estimated to be on Earth currently with only one-thousandth of one percent described.[2

Now you ducked my question- as you always do

All life on Earth shares a common ancestor known as the last universal common ancestor (LUCA),[16][17][18] which lived approximately 3.5–3.8 billion years ago.[19] This should not be assumed to be the first living organism on Earth; a study in 2015 found "remains of biotic life" from 4.1 billion years ago in ancient rocks in Western Australia.[20][21] In July 2016, scientists reported identifying a set of 355 genes from the LUCA of all organisms living on Earth.[22] More than 99 percent of all species that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct.[23][24] Estimates of Earth's current species range from 10 to 14 million,[25][26] of which about 1.9 million are estimated to have been named[27] and 1.6 million documented in a central database to date.[28] More recently, in May 2016, scientists reported that 1 trillion species are estimated to be on Earth currently with only one-thousandth of one percent described.[2

So, is that a yes or a no? Is there one common ancestor in your theory?

I answered your question-

Doolittle_Web_of_Life.jpg

Evolution of Evolutionary Theory | EpicOfEvolution

Does evolution not claim there is a common ancestor? In order for the theory to be given credibility you first have to address the origin of life. You have to be able to credibly trace man back to the very beginning of life on earth if you expect us to believe we evolved from that first living thing. Until you can put it together you cannot credibly call evolution fact. It's still, and will always be a theory, nothing more. Someone's imagination. It's simply what you want to believe, and even flawed science will be enough proof for you.

"Does evolution not claim there is a common ancestor? In order for the theory to be given credibility you first have to address the origin of life"

Not true at all. The first common ancestor of all species (which existed and is a mathematical certainty) existed long after the "first life". The theory of evolution does not have to address this at all.

And evolution is a fact.

The evidence appears to show that almost all current life on Earth descended from a common ancestor. That does not necessarily imply that there was only one original single cell life. That parent cell line was the one that was most successful.

No you did not answer my question and you know it. And this thread is not about what I believe. I'm not the one who is insisting that a theory is fact. YOU are the one doing that, and attempting to turn the conversation around by asking me what I believe is just another way for you to duck questions you can't answer.

No you did not answer my question and you know it. And this thread is not about what I believe. I'm not the one who is insisting that a theory is fact. YOU are the one doing that, and attempting to turn the conversation around by asking me what I believe is just another way for you to duck questions you can't answer.

At this point, you have been corrected many times on your incorrect use of the word "theory". But you insist on repeating your error. Why should anyone spend one ounce of energy trying to have an honest discussion with you?

At this point, you have been corrected many times on your incorrect use of the word "theory". But you insist on repeating your error. Why should anyone spend one ounce of energy trying to have an honest discussion with you?
I think you SHOULD stop spending energy because frankly, discussing this topic with you is a waste of time. Whenever you are asked a logical question you immediately challenge the premise of it or the meaning of the words instead of addressing it. At least Mark is making an attempt to be honest and address the questions. I respect that but I don't respect what you're doing. I trust we're done now?

The evidence appears to show that almost all current life on Earth descended from a common ancestor. That does not necessarily imply that there was only one original single cell life. That parent cell line was the one that was most successful.
Now that we've eliminated the demagogue, you've acknowledged you believe in the common ancestor, can you explain how one species transitioned into another?

I think you SHOULD stop spending energy because frankly, discussing this topic with you is a waste of time. Whenever you are asked a logical question you immediately challenge the premise of it or the meaning of the words instead of addressing it. At least Mark is making an attempt to be honest and address the questions. I respect that but I don't respect what you're doing. I trust we're done now?

You know less than nothing about this topic, and you clearly don't want to learn anything about it. Your questions thus far have not been an effort to learn or u derstand anything, but rather have been an effort to try to poke holes in a theory you dont even understand. All of these efforts by you have failed. And, instead of correcting yourself after being shown the things you are saying are stupid and wrong, you throw a little fit and blame the world for your own ignorance and stupidity.

Have a nice day.

Now that we've eliminated the demagogue, you've acknowledged you believe in the common ancestor, can you explain how one species transitioned into another?

"can you explain how one species transitioned into another?"

Of course he can, as can anyone who knows anything at all about evolution. It's literally the day one topic in any study of evolution. The fact that you DON'T know the answer is more notable than anyone knowing the answer, and you should be ashamed of yourself for your laziness and ignorance in not having looked this up yourself.

Now you ducked my question- as you always doReply

I answered your question by quoting an article that specifically addresses your question- you just don't like the answer

My position- as always is that evolution has been proven to be a fact- we can effect evolution ourselves. However evolution of the species- the theory which describes the diversity of life on our planet- is the theory that to me- and to the vast majority of scientists- that best fits the facts that we do know

So now- as asked before- what is the theory that you believe that better accounts for life on earth as we know it?

Or you can tuck your cojones back up where they came from and run away again.

Why should anyone respond to any of your questions- when you refuse to answer any questions yourself?

Like virtually all Evolution deniers- you just refuse to accept the information we do have.

Of course he can, as can anyone who knows anything at all about evolution. It's literally the day one topic in any study of evolution. The fact that you DON'T know the answer is more notable than anyone knowing the answer, and you should be ashamed of yourself for your laziness and ignorance in not having looked this up yourself.

Yeah- until he responds to questions as to what alternate theory he believes in, he is not interested in a dialogue- he is just spewing the usual Evolution deniers talking points.

There's one pattern that keeps repeating itself when discussing the theory of evolution. Those who push the theory are unable to provide anything more than speculation. They often don't agree with each other on many aspects of it, yet they all claim to be experts and they all claim it is fact, but when challenged to prove any of their points, it always ends the same way. They get frustrated, duck and dodge the questions, and finish the conversation with insults and personal attacks. This thread is no different.

Yeah- until he responds to questions as to what alternate theory he believes in, he is not interested in a dialogue- he is just spewing the usual Evolution deniers talking points.
It's not incumbent upon me to provide an alternate theory. The absence of one does not automatically make you right. You have come far from providing any convincing evidence that one species became another - ever. Until you can prove that happens, your theory is nothing but a fantasy, no matter HOW many times you scream "It's a fact".

I said one ancestor has lead to current life on earth (more or less), yes. In Precambrian times, I believe there were lots of pre-life experiments going on and ours was more successful. All the others were less successful or quickly failed. This is a conclusion from the data that almost all current life is biochemically similar.

You already know the answer to this cuz it is very general biology 101. Once a population separates into two non-interacting populations for whatever reason, their population gene frequencies become different. While still interacting, they evolve together. When separated, they do not. Eventually their genotypes become so different, they will be given different names, speciation has occurred.

Forum List

Back