Funny as Hell....putting a grenade down the tank barrel....

I doubt it. The modern barrels handle a huge amount of pressure but IF they can trap the pressure inside the barrel, they might take the barrel out.

The Germans were confronted with huge amounts of Russian tanks. Here are two Wehrmacht educational films on how infantry can deal with tanks.

The Germans were confronted with huge amounts of Russian tanks. Here are two Wehrmacht educational films on how infantry can deal with tanks.

2d72b20f47f0ebb3855525ca5a014d37--badges-soldiers.jpg

Panzerknackerabzeichen (Tank Destruction Badge)

German troops were awarded a badge for taking out tanks one-on-one.

Silver for one tank, gold for five (ace). Sort of gaudy but it shows that the awardee had balls of steel.

I doubt it. The modern barrels handle a huge amount of pressure but IF they can trap the pressure inside the barrel, they might take the barrel out.

Yes, it actually will. Because the idea is that it blows up the shell itself (if it is an explosive shell), and does not ignite the propellent.

The propellent used in modern rounds is still nitrocellulose based, and is really not very "explosive". It burns however at a very fast rate which is what causes it to propel the warhead to the target. However, the warhead itself typically uses Composition B, which is in fact highly explosive.

However, I still do not think it will "take the tank out", as the very purpose of the breech block is to prevent things like that from happening. But one may get spalling and other effects inside from the high pressures the barrel is not designed to contain. But that is also considerably lessened, as most tanks in the modern era when facing other tanks do not even use explosive warheads.

Forum List

Back