Fun with Ramen ... or other cheeep food

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Last night I sliced up a strawberry and added it after I stirred up my ramen. Liked it so well I tried it again today with more strawberries.

What fun/weird stuff do you do with your cheap food?

Years ago I also lived on a Ramen Noodle Budget...Ramen noodles and Peanut Butter sandwiches...now I've upgraded to Garlic shells and Ham and Cheese sandwiches.

I like potato chip sandwiches...bread, mayo, a little ketchup and potato chips.

Or potato chip and bolgna, same thing.

Last night I sliced up a strawberry and added it after I stirred up my ramen. Liked it so well I tried it again today with more strawberries.

Having been to Japan and China multiple times..Noodles are a big deal there.

Best way to do it..is cook the ingredients separately..and put them together when done.

I like pork noodles, made with real pork broth.

The best I ever had probably was like 3000 year old soup, you know, the kind they just keep going all the time and add to regularly. And probably had things other than pork in it. It was almost black, and it was yummy. That was the restaurant that got fined for using road kill. I don't care, they had the best *pork* noodles I've ever had.

I like boiled eggs and green onions in my ramen, thrown in at the end. A lot of green onion.

umm...a pot of vegetable soup is cheap and will feed you for a week. Can be frozen for later also. 1000 times better for you than softened cardboard..err...ramen noodles.

when I started out here in cali.. I lived on the shit.

Top Ramen was 65 cents a pack, add half a bag of Pastables, lunch and dinner for 2 bucks.

Top Ramen was 65 cents a pack, add half a bag of Pastables, lunch and dinner for 2 bucks.

If I could only figure out what Pastables are, I may agree with you :eusa_angel:

umm...a pot of vegetable soup is cheap and will feed you for a week. Can be frozen for later also. 1000 times better for you than softened cardboard..err...ramen noodles.

But you need your carbs! :eek:

Vegies are not all that inexpensive these days, unless you grow your own, or swipe them from the neighbors garden. :lol:

Yes veggie soup is great for you.

A straight week of it will turn you into a ravening serial killer.

Stew, beans or chili aren't any better..the only difference being you won't actually eat your victims after killing them when you're forced to subsist on those things for long periods of time.

Yes veggie soup is great for you.

A straight week of it will turn you into a ravening serial killer.

Stew, beans or chili aren't any better..the only difference being you won't actually eat your victims after killing them when you're forced to subsist on those things for long periods of time.

Beans are ok though, you just have to get the right stuff to go with them. In the days when food shopping was 2/3 beer 1/3 everything else a few bounds of pinto's went a long way. That and onion, minced garlic, pound or two of jalapeno, chili powder and some ground beef, chicken or ham and you are ready to go. Some tomes I would snare squirrels for the beans, but the wife put a stop to that when she moved in. Add scratch biscuits, tortilla, or corn bread and you got good eats. WAY better then a sodium flavored ramen .

Oh I can't handle ramen every day, either.

I was raised on beans and stew. We always had a pot of something on the wood stove. Yes it's absolutely good food.

But after 2 days of it, I still wanted to kill someone.

If I could only figure out what Pastables are, I may agree with you :eusa_angel:

they don't seem to make them anymore, but I think it was Birdseye, they packed veggies like broccoli carrots corn and elbow macaroni together in a frozen 2 lb bag.

you mix them in with the top ramen to give it some substance. they were like $2 a bag....one bag 3 top ramens and you have like 5 meals....oh and 2 pieces of white bread on the side;)

a hold over 'snack' when I was growing up was mayonnaise slathered on a piece of bread:doubt:

They have 20 piece packs of chicken drums or thighs at my store for 3.99. When I was poor starting out, I used to buy that kind of stuff along with veggies and potatoes. You can get quite a few meals out of that. One drumstick and a boiled potato is a lot better than a styrofoam cup of noodles.

I still buy a big 24 piece sausage link, bigger packs of ground beef, etc, divide it up into smaller bundles and freeze it.

Of course I never bought beer in place of food. I never even heard of Ramen noodles until later in life. We all have our priorities but shopping well should be part of the curriculumat school. Real life stuff.

Last edited:
Ramen is okay once in a while...it's bouillon and noodles, and you can add anything to it. Peas, shrimp, pork, eggs, corn, green onions.

I get the packages of thighs..thighs work well for making soups/dumplings. I throw a couple or three thighs in a pot, fill it with water, salt it...if I have it on hand and want to speed up the process I might use chicken broth instead of or in place of some of the water. Cut up half an onion, salt, pepper, boil until the meat comes off the bone. Then add dumplings or noodles...

You are a freak.

:eusa_eh:

I was watching that TV show with the Sheldon character (As I'm not a fan, I cannot recall the title). The slaves enjoy it.

Anyway, during the episode Sheldon mentioned his favorite dinner: Spagetti with cut up hot dogs.

Disgusting.

But I made it anyway, because it was cheap and easy.

Amazingly, the slaves loved it.

Ramen is okay once in a while...it's bouillon and noodles, and you can add anything to it. Peas, shrimp, pork, eggs, corn, green onions.

I get the packages of thighs..thighs work well for making soups/dumplings. I throw a couple or three thighs in a pot, fill it with water, salt it...if I have it on hand and want to speed up the process I might use chicken broth instead of or in place of some of the water. Cut up half an onion, salt, pepper, boil until the meat comes off the bone. Then add dumplings or noodles...

I cook those thighs and pull the meat off with a fork, put a little mayo, grapes, nuts, celery and it makes a good summer meal. Put it on bread or just lettuce. A glass of lemonade along with it.

Paula Deen used to run a business called The Bag Lady where she sold chicken salad sandwiches to construction workers. Her recipe called for a couple of tablespoons of chicken stock added to the chicken salad. It really makes it, imo.

Last edited:

they don't seem to make them anymore, but I think it was Birdseye, they packed veggies like broccoli carrots corn and elbow macaroni together in a frozen 2 lb bag.

you mix them in with the top ramen to give it some substance. they were like $2 a bag....one bag 3 top ramens and you have like 5 meals....oh and 2 pieces of white bread on the side;)

a hold over 'snack' when I was growing up was mayonnaise slathered on a piece of bread:doubt:

We get something like that. Good stuff for microwave food. I like to take it for lunch.

One weird tip for those who make tuna salad - try substituting either plain lowfat yoghurt or nonfat sour cream for half of the mayo..... Less calories, more protein, and better taste. (The yoghurt will separate if there are leftovers)

Forum List

Back