From the dept. of 1st world problems....Increasing demand blamed for laxative shortage

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Increasing demand for laxatives such as Miralax and Glycolax is being blamed for a shortage of stool softeners across America.

Gastroenterologists and suppliers say they are seeing a surge in demand for polyethylene glycol 3350, which is the generic name for Miralax and Glycolax. According to the Wall Street Journal, customers are seeing emptier shelves for laxatives across the country.

Both gastrological and behavioral experts are blaming an aging population and say that Americans' fiber consumption is down, which sometimes leads to constipation.

Experts also cite the pandemic as a reason for the shortages, stating that psychological and physical results of the Coronavirus restrictions meant that people generally took less care of themselves, such as eating worse and exercising less.

Americans also experienced more anxiety, which doctors say are causes of bowel dysfunction.

Massive overuse of opioids and anti-anxiety/antidepressants and the resulting chronic constipation has nothing to do with it, nah, nothing at all.

Sigh, the doctors should just admit it that people are just more full of shit than ever before.

Or.....Do like the constipated mathematician did......Work it out with a slide rule and a pencil. ;)

How much is the ever burgeoning colonoscopy machine eating? Didnt they just lower the limit to 45

Increasing demand for laxatives such as Miralax and Glycolax is being blamed for a shortage of stool softeners across America.

Gastroenterologists and suppliers say they are seeing a surge in demand for polyethylene glycol 3350, which is the generic name for Miralax and Glycolax. According to the Wall Street Journal, customers are seeing emptier shelves for laxatives across the country.

Both gastrological and behavioral experts are blaming an aging population and say that Americans' fiber consumption is down, which sometimes leads to constipation.

Experts also cite the pandemic as a reason for the shortages, stating that psychological and physical results of the Coronavirus restrictions meant that people generally took less care of themselves, such as eating worse and exercising less.

Americans also experienced more anxiety, which doctors say are causes of bowel dysfunction.

Massive overuse of opioids and anti-anxiety/antidepressants and the resulting chronic constipation has nothing to do with it, nah, nothing at all.

Sigh, the doctors should just admit it that people are just more full of shit than ever before.

Or.....Do like the constipated mathematician did......Work it out with a slide rule and a pencil. ;)
You are totally on point.

The main reason - which Fox News does not include - is the wide use of opioids like OxyContin. One of the side effects of OxyContin abuse is chronic constipation.

And guess what was the product that Perdu Pharma, the company that was owned by the Sackler family, produced before OxyContin? Yup, a stool softener! You can't make this shit up. Pun included!

Not a coincidence that as the OxyContin abuse increased, so did chronic constipation.

I didn't know this was a thing, Since I have a handicapped child that needs that on a regular basis I just went and ordered a few months supply.

All you need to do is eat some spicy food and problem solved.

Best way I know to keep from being constipated is hot sauce and raw vegetables.

You are totally on point.

The main reason - which Fox News does not include - is the wide use of opioids like OxyContin. One of the side effects of OxyContin abuse is chronic constipation.

And guess what was the product that Perdu Pharma, the company that was owned by the Sackler family, produced before OxyContin? Yup, a stool softener! You can't make this shit up. Pun included!

Not a coincidence that as the OxyContin abuse increased, so did chronic constipation.
Damn straight, they gave that once (kidney stone passing process) and I did not shit right for a week and I only took it once before I passed the stone. I can't even fathom how bound-up someone would be that's addicted to that stuff.

It's not that simple. Talk to a doctor.
I don't need to talk to a doctor.

If you eat roughage you're not going to have constipation.

The reason most people are constipated is their diet and they tend to put off elimination on a regular schedule.

If you're always eating starches and processed foods you're going to get pent up.

Forum List

Back