Friedman On Curing Healthcare: No Licensure Of Physicians?

yeah actually I am.
To spell it out, the existence of an exam like that serves in the first place to discourage possibly qualiifed people from taking it. Second people who might be qualified could fail.

How is it determined who is "qualified" to practice as a physician? Who determines who's qualified?

Exactly. Why should there be a license testifying to that fact? Everyone make his own inquiries and go from there.

It is irrelevant because that isnt the argument.
The argument is that licensing of physicians reduces competition and thus increases costs. The AMA controls the supply by controlling the number of places in med schools. But that is still not central to the argument.

Another fail.

The problem isn't the lack of slots for med students. It's the lack of residency slots.

The AMA has nothing to do with that either.

Well, do you think that some arbitrary exam has people who fail as well as people who pass?

Do you think the people who failed then go on to practice medicine?

Do you think the very existence of a difficult exam serves to discourage some people from even taking it?

If you start med school, you are under no illusions that you won't take the USMLE or COMLEX board exams.

The pass rate for the USMLE is 99% for allopathic (M.D.) non-foreign medical students.

Friedman On Curing Healthcare: No Licensure Of Physicians?

Milton Friedman discusses the American Medical Association. According to him, the AMA’s monopoly on the licensure of physicians in the United States has put a damper on competition within the industry, leading to lower quality services as well as limited availability to the American public. Although I don’t yet fully accept Friedman’s suggestion, I still find it an interesting proposition that is worth spreading, check it out.

Oh no! :eek: We can't possibly expect people to start checking on their own doctor's creds ... no way, se need a babysitter to keep telling us what's "safe" (even though it always seems to kill us anyway) and "good" ('nuff said there).

The OP is arguing for a complete lack of credentialing. What's your deal? Do you just like to bitch about the medical establishment? You are inconsistent as all hell on this subject.

Which doesn't have anything to do with the argument.
Fail.

You don't even understand what you are arguing for. You've made a number of erroneous statements on this thread.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't expect anybody who is outside of medicine or medical school to really be in the know about how it works.

That being said, patients are currently free to go to unlicensed physicians.

Most just don't because, well, they suck ass.

No, because insurance won't pay for it.

And I think you're the one who doesn't understand the argument here.

No, because insurance won't pay for it.

And I think you're the one who doesn't understand the argument here.

Really? Feel free to enlighten me.

BTW, you might want to get the appropriate regulatory bodies correct before you proceed.

The AAMC regulates Medical Schools, numbers, and admissions.

The Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and National Board of Medical Examiners® (NBME) administer the licensure boards.

And the The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) controls residencies.

The Rab is an idiot, of course, living in a fantasy world. Go to an unliscensed health care provider, Rab, if you wish, but don't think any of us are buying into your pretend world that does not exist.

The Rab is an idiot, of course, living in a fantasy world. Go to an unliscensed health care provider, Rab, if you wish, but don't think any of us are buying into your pretend world that does not exist.

And be mad that his insurance provider wisely won't pay for substandard medical care that is going to cost them a lot of money to fix once he realizes that regulating medical competency is a good idea.

Rabi, we've been down this road before.

Educate yourself.

Flexner Report - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well at least you won't erroneously claim that the AMA has anything to do with any of this.

Not that it would be relevant to the argument if I did.

You do realize that people have the capability to scroll back and read what you posted, right?
No way!!!

The argument is that licensing of physicians reduces competition and thus increases costs. The AMA controls the supply by controlling the number of places in med schools. But that is still not central to the argument.

Not that it would be relevant to the argument if I did.

You do realize that people have the capability to scroll back and read what you posted, right?
No way!!!

Healthcare is too important to be left up to the capitalists.

I mean, look at how many idiots bought Kevin Trudeau's bullshit.

No way!!!

Well that, and The Rabbi doesn't know what he's talking about.

No way!!!

Because people are idiots, right?
Typical elitist bullshit. I think we can stop here.

Forum List

Back