Fridge sharing takes off in Vienna

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
1dd3542945d1914739c3d0790e627f8acf80b164e57e36ea5a326146780f6f3e.jpg

This is the first I've heard of this. I do know that the French government is making grocery/produce outlets have methods where food is given out to the needy instead of being thrown away at the end of each day. I bet the only reason it isn't happening here in the USA are rules and regulations. Just the same as what restaurants and other food outlets are unable to do with their leftovers.

Andrea Beltrame, one of the brains behind the ‘Fair-Teilen’ (fair-sharing) concept, says the refrigerators are already a success: "They are being used by a wide variety of people… including students, pensioners, and single mothers on low incomes. They are probably also being used by homeless people.”

Story w/list of locations @ Fridge sharing takes off in Vienna

1dd3542945d1914739c3d0790e627f8acf80b164e57e36ea5a326146780f6f3e.jpg

This is the first I've heard of this. I do know that the French government is making grocery/produce outlets have methods where food is given out to the needy instead of being thrown away at the end of each day. I bet the only reason it isn't happening here in the USA are rules and regulations. Just the same as what restaurants and other food outlets are unable to do with their leftovers.

Andrea Beltrame, one of the brains behind the ‘Fair-Teilen’ (fair-sharing) concept, says the refrigerators are already a success: "They are being used by a wide variety of people… including students, pensioners, and single mothers on low incomes. They are probably also being used by homeless people.”

Story w/list of locations @ Fridge sharing takes off in Vienna

the US does have some such programs----kinda limited but they exist

You know this is a two sided sword. Already in this community the free food bank is being abused by both citizens and food producers who are dumping excess capacity onto the program. So many people who have no business going to the food bank are using it not to augment a bare cupboard but to replace food they would buy normally. Granted much of what they receive is not first quality but the program is being gamed by the public.

Having a restaurant, I don't want a bunch of no counts pounding on my back door at the busy time wanting our food instead of the other restaurant down the street. Yes there is a lot of waste, and I would love to help,the truly needy, but let me hand it out to those that deserve it, not someone else making the decision. A noble idea that has no practical way to be implemented.

Forum List

Back