Friday: Occupy Wall Street Zuccotti Park Showdown

Whatever... I'm still trying to figure out where one is granted the right to stay on public property 24/7, shitting and urinating in public, banging drums and making noise thus keeping people up all night.

When did this happen?

I don't think they'll be allowed to camp overnight again--Denver is shutting the OWS group campers down tonight at 11 p.m. If they're not gone--police will move in.

Whatever... I'm still trying to figure out where one is granted the right to stay on public property 24/7, shitting and urinating in public, banging drums and making noise thus keeping people up all night.

When did this happen?

Even if they did, the park in question is private property.

I sure as heck wouldn't want a bunch of people squatting on my property and would want the police to remove them if necessary.

The stench must be unbearable plus possible listeria and other assorted bacteria outbreaks.

I was amazed that this park is only 1/2 acre!!!! That many people on 1/2 acre--crowded together like that is a definite health hazard.

1/2 acre is 1/8 of the size of a block.

In our parks--there are sprinkler systems--someone mows the grass etc.--how has the city been able to do that for the last 3-1/2 weeks.

You don't water--the grass dies. Or does this park even have grass? Anyone know?

Last edited:

When did this happen?

It's not-legal. Most public city parks are not for "overnight campers"--they open at a certain time during the day and CLOSE at a certain time at night.

OWS protesters have been breaking the law for 3-1/2 weeks now. Heck if I tried to park a tent in front of the capital building I would be run off so fast it would have been funny. They've tolerated this group now for 3-1/2 weeks and they're losing patience with them--and here's the BOOT--Finally!

And I don't think any of them had permits to protest either.

Last edited:
The stench must be unbearable plus possible listeria and other assorted bacteria outbreaks.

I was amazed that this park is only 1/2 acre!!!! That many people on 1/2 acre--crowded together like that is a definite health hazard.

1/2 acre is 1/8 of the size of a block.

In our parks--there are sprinkler systems--someone mows the grass etc.--how has the city been able to do that for the last 3-1/2 weeks.

You don't water--the grass dies. Or does this park even have grass? Anyone know?

Perhaps they have just overexagerated how many people are there.

"Occupy Wall Street" protestors cleaned Manhattan's Zuccotti Park on Thursday, ahead of Friday's scheduled clean-up by the private space's owners, and the AFL-CIO called on its members to stand guard by the space overnight to prevent eviction of the demonstrators.

The AFL-CIO sent out a mass email to its members Thursday night, capping an uncertain day that began with the park's owners, Brookfield Properties, giving out notices to protesters Thursday morning telling them to clear out by Friday morning.

The cleaning is set to begin at 7 a.m. Friday and will take place in stages, with each part estimated to take around four hours to complete.

Protestors who are objecting to corporate greed and the economic gap between rich and poor have camped in the privately owned park for more than four weeks. They have brought tents, tarps, sleeping bags, couches and even a communal kitchen, all of which are banned by the company's park rules.

During a surprise visit to Zuccotti Park on Wednesday night, Mayor Michael Bloomberg assured protestors that they could return after the park is cleaned. However, the notices include new rules for protestors once they return.

The statement says demonstrators are no longer allowed to use tarps, lay on the ground or on benches, or use sleeping bags. The protesters will also be screened to make sure they are not carrying those forbidden items.

The mayor's office issued a statement Thursday saying in part, "We will continue to defend and guarantee their free speech rights, but those rights do not include the ability to infringe on the rights of others, which is why the rules governing the park will be enforced.”

Throughout Thursday, protesters said they feared the scheduled cleaning will be the first step in trying to get rid of their movement, so they spent the day emptying the park of trash. Protesters and sympathizers were asked on Facebook to use their own cleaning supplies on the plaza.

"I feel an energy and I feel a worry in me that something bad is going to happen," said a protester late Thursday.

A protest against the cleaning efforts is set to start at 6 a.m. Friday, and some demonstrators said if officials try to remove them from the park, they would form a human chain surrounding their camp.

Wall Street Protesters Prepare To Stay Beyond Friday Cleanup - NY1.com

This is a good local News Source on the Protest.

New Topics

Forum List

Back