Freedom wins...big government loses...Boeing Bill passes

Got anything that's not a century old?

As I said, the law that created the NLRB, which this bill is designed to emasculate, made that sort of thing illegal. As long as this bill hasn't become law, the NLRB still has the power to prevent it.
So that's the union propaganda, huh? "This bill will turn the clock back a hundred years!!"

:lol: Fear-monger much?

Man, you guys hate it that non-union workers might get a job, huh?
And are you really using those as justification for union violence today?

Show me where I have justified union violence, please.

EDIT: Although actually, if violence against workers were still the norm, yes, that would indeed justify union violence. It's a matter of self-defense.
So...you have no justification for the union violence that happens today.
His entire argument is losing bad......Just like the unions as of late.

Face it, unions are on their death bed, period!

As I said, the law that created the NLRB, which this bill is designed to emasculate, made that sort of thing illegal. As long as this bill hasn't become law, the NLRB still has the power to prevent it.
So that's the union propaganda, huh? "This bill will turn the clock back a hundred years!!"

EDIT: Although actually, if violence against workers were still the norm, yes, that would indeed justify union violence. It's a matter of self-defense.

Unions are undermining their own by enrolling Illegals too. They want their dues, and they want members that do what they are told, when they are told, without question.

Last edited:
It's never happened. Security guards are not going to break the law and get themselves arrested and their employer sued. Beating people up is a privilege reserved entirely for union thugs.

Oh, puh-leeze.

An Eclectic List of Events in U.S. Labor History

July 1851 - Two railroad strikers were shot dead and others injured by the state militia in Portgage, New York.

14 July 1877 - A general strike halted the movement of U.S. railroads. In the following days, strike riots spread across the United States. The next week, federal troops were called out to force an end to the nationwide strike. At the "Battle of the Viaduct" in Chicago, federal troops (recently returned from an Indian massacre) killed 30 workers and wounded over 100.

23 November 1877 - The Thibodaux Massacre. The Louisiana Militia, aided by bands of "prominent citizens," shot at least 35 unarmed black sugar workers striking to gain a dollar-per-day wage, and lynched two strike leaders.

6 July 1892 - The Homestead Strike. Pinkerton Guards, trying to pave the way for the introduction of scabs, opened fire on striking Carnegie mill steel- workers in Homestead, Pennsylvania. In the ensuing battle, three Pinkertons surrendered; then, unarmed, they were set upon and beaten by a mob of townspeople, most of them women. Seven guards and eleven strikers and spectators were shot to death.

1894 - Federal troops killed 34 American Railway Union members in the Chicago area attempting to break a strike, led by Eugene Debs, against the Pullman Company. Debs and several others were imprisoned for violating injunctions, causing disintegration of the union.

10 Sep 1897 - 19 unarmed striking coal miners and mine workers were killed and 36 wounded by a posse organized by the Luzerne County sherif for refusing to disperse near Lattimer, Pennsylvania. The strikers, most of whom were shot in the back, were originally brought in as strike-breakers, but later organized themselves.

12 Oct 1902 - Fourteen miners were killed and 22 wounded by scabherders at Pana, Illinois.

8 June 1904 - A battle between the Colorado Militia and striking miners at Dunnville ended with six union members dead and 15 taken prisoner. Seventy-nine of the strikers were deported to Kansas two days later.

24 Feb 1912 - Women and children were beaten by police during a textile strike in Lawrence, Massachusetts.

20 Apr 1914 - The "Ludlow Massacre." In an attempt to persuade strikers at Colorado's Ludlow Mine Field to return to work, company "guards," engaged by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and other mine operators and sworn into the State Militia just for the occasion, attacked a union tent camp with machine guns, then set it afire. Five men, two women and 12 children died as a result.

13 Nov 1914 - A Western Federation of Miners strike is crushed by the militia in Butte, Montana.

19 Aug 1916 - Strikebreakers hired by the Everett Mills owner Neil Jamison attacked and beat picketing strikers in Everett, Washington. Local police watched and refused to intervene, claiming that the waterfront where the incident took place was Federal land and therefore outside their jurisdiction.

12 Jul 1917 - After seizing the local Western Union telegraph office in order to cut off outside communication, several thousand armed vigilantes forced 1,185 men in Bisbee, Arizona into manure-laden boxcars and "deported" them to the New Mexico desert. The action was precipitated by a strike when workers' demands (including improvements to safety and working conditions at the local copper mines, an end to discrimination against labor organizations and unequal treatment of foreign and minority workers, and the institution of a fair wage system) went unmet. The "deportation" was organized by Sheriff Harry Wheeler. The incident was investigated months later by a Federal Mediation Commission set up by President Woodrow Wilson; the Commission found that no federal law applied, and referred the case to the State of Arizona, which failed to take any action, citing patriotism and support for the war as justification for the vigilantes' action.

1 Aug 1917 - IWW organizer Frank Little was lynched in Butte, Montana.

27 Jul 1918 - United Mine Workers organizer Ginger Goodwin was shot by a hired private policeman outside Cumberland, British Columbia.

26 Aug 1919 - United Mine Worker organizer Fannie Sellins was gunned down by company guards in Brackenridge, Pennsylvania.

19 May 1920 - The Battle of Matewan. Despite efforts by police chief (and former miner) Sid Hatfield and Mayor C. Testerman to protect miners from interference in their union drive in Matewan, West Virginia, Baldwin-Felts detectives hired by the local mining company and thirteen of the company's managers arrived to evict miners and their families from the Stone Mountain Mine camp. A gun battle ensued, resulting in the deaths of 7 detectives, Mayor Testerman, and 2 miners.

21 Nov 1927 - Picketing miners were massacred in Columbine, Colorado.

4 May 1931 - Gun-toting vigilantes attack striking miners in Harlan County, Kentucky.

10 Oct 1933 - 18,000 cotton workers went on strikein Pixley, California. Four were killed before a pay-hike was finally won.

This kind of thing used to happen ALL THE TIME. The only thing that prevents it now is that it has been made illegal by the very law founding the government agency that this bill, being discussed in this thread, would make toothless.

Really, before you proclaim something like that so loudly, I would recommend you learn something about what you're talking about. You risk embarrassing yourself badly, as you just did.
Look, jackass. I have to assume you're a union member. I also assume you wouldn't last 'til lunch in a nonunion shop. You're getting your ass kicked here by a group of people with real world experience and a lot of knowledge and current facts to back their claims. Polk had the sense to slink away with his tail between his legs. I suggest you do the same.
If your spelling and google skills weren't as good as theyappear to be, I'd swear you were TDNM's sock puppet.
The last example of strike breaking you bring up is, what 78 years old?
Union members are beating non union and replacement workers on the docks in Washington NOW.

Good. Labor laws have superseded the need for unions. Labor laws that protect ALL workers, and aren't hotbeds of corruption.

It's never happened. Security guards are not going to break the law and get themselves arrested and their employer sued. Beating people up is a privilege reserved entirely for union thugs.

Oh, puh-leeze.

An Eclectic List of Events in U.S. Labor History

July 1851 - Two railroad strikers were shot dead and others injured by the state militia in Portgage, New York.

14 July 1877 - A general strike halted the movement of U.S. railroads. In the following days, strike riots spread across the United States. The next week, federal troops were called out to force an end to the nationwide strike. At the "Battle of the Viaduct" in Chicago, federal troops (recently returned from an Indian massacre) killed 30 workers and wounded over 100.

23 November 1877 - The Thibodaux Massacre. The Louisiana Militia, aided by bands of "prominent citizens," shot at least 35 unarmed black sugar workers striking to gain a dollar-per-day wage, and lynched two strike leaders.

6 July 1892 - The Homestead Strike. Pinkerton Guards, trying to pave the way for the introduction of scabs, opened fire on striking Carnegie mill steel- workers in Homestead, Pennsylvania. In the ensuing battle, three Pinkertons surrendered; then, unarmed, they were set upon and beaten by a mob of townspeople, most of them women. Seven guards and eleven strikers and spectators were shot to death.

1894 - Federal troops killed 34 American Railway Union members in the Chicago area attempting to break a strike, led by Eugene Debs, against the Pullman Company. Debs and several others were imprisoned for violating injunctions, causing disintegration of the union.

10 Sep 1897 - 19 unarmed striking coal miners and mine workers were killed and 36 wounded by a posse organized by the Luzerne County sherif for refusing to disperse near Lattimer, Pennsylvania. The strikers, most of whom were shot in the back, were originally brought in as strike-breakers, but later organized themselves.

12 Oct 1902 - Fourteen miners were killed and 22 wounded by scabherders at Pana, Illinois.

8 June 1904 - A battle between the Colorado Militia and striking miners at Dunnville ended with six union members dead and 15 taken prisoner. Seventy-nine of the strikers were deported to Kansas two days later.

24 Feb 1912 - Women and children were beaten by police during a textile strike in Lawrence, Massachusetts.

20 Apr 1914 - The "Ludlow Massacre." In an attempt to persuade strikers at Colorado's Ludlow Mine Field to return to work, company "guards," engaged by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and other mine operators and sworn into the State Militia just for the occasion, attacked a union tent camp with machine guns, then set it afire. Five men, two women and 12 children died as a result.

13 Nov 1914 - A Western Federation of Miners strike is crushed by the militia in Butte, Montana.

19 Aug 1916 - Strikebreakers hired by the Everett Mills owner Neil Jamison attacked and beat picketing strikers in Everett, Washington. Local police watched and refused to intervene, claiming that the waterfront where the incident took place was Federal land and therefore outside their jurisdiction.

12 Jul 1917 - After seizing the local Western Union telegraph office in order to cut off outside communication, several thousand armed vigilantes forced 1,185 men in Bisbee, Arizona into manure-laden boxcars and "deported" them to the New Mexico desert. The action was precipitated by a strike when workers' demands (including improvements to safety and working conditions at the local copper mines, an end to discrimination against labor organizations and unequal treatment of foreign and minority workers, and the institution of a fair wage system) went unmet. The "deportation" was organized by Sheriff Harry Wheeler. The incident was investigated months later by a Federal Mediation Commission set up by President Woodrow Wilson; the Commission found that no federal law applied, and referred the case to the State of Arizona, which failed to take any action, citing patriotism and support for the war as justification for the vigilantes' action.

1 Aug 1917 - IWW organizer Frank Little was lynched in Butte, Montana.

27 Jul 1918 - United Mine Workers organizer Ginger Goodwin was shot by a hired private policeman outside Cumberland, British Columbia.

26 Aug 1919 - United Mine Worker organizer Fannie Sellins was gunned down by company guards in Brackenridge, Pennsylvania.

19 May 1920 - The Battle of Matewan. Despite efforts by police chief (and former miner) Sid Hatfield and Mayor C. Testerman to protect miners from interference in their union drive in Matewan, West Virginia, Baldwin-Felts detectives hired by the local mining company and thirteen of the company's managers arrived to evict miners and their families from the Stone Mountain Mine camp. A gun battle ensued, resulting in the deaths of 7 detectives, Mayor Testerman, and 2 miners.

21 Nov 1927 - Picketing miners were massacred in Columbine, Colorado.

4 May 1931 - Gun-toting vigilantes attack striking miners in Harlan County, Kentucky.

10 Oct 1933 - 18,000 cotton workers went on strikein Pixley, California. Four were killed before a pay-hike was finally won.

This kind of thing used to happen ALL THE TIME. The only thing that prevents it now is that it has been made illegal by the very law founding the government agency that this bill, being discussed in this thread, would make toothless.

Really, before you proclaim something like that so loudly, I would recommend you learn something about what you're talking about. You risk embarrassing yourself badly, as you just did.
You should be embarrassed that you posted this. Anecdotal violence from the last century has absolutely nothing to do with a company's right to set up shop in a right-to-work state.

Unions dues are little more than extortion to allow the union leaders to have high paying jobs, endless perks and control of huge campaign donations to crooked politicians...all at the expense of the workers.

The tremendous loss of jobs in the auto industry and supporting businesses related to once profitable factories in Detroit is DIRECTLY attributable to unions and their ridiculous demands on the owners. The jobs moved. Thanks to your glorious unions.

Got anything that's not a century old?

And are you really using those as justification for union violence today?

There is no justification for violence against union members or non-union members. Likewise, there is no justification for union fat cats, big salaries for union leaders, big campaign contributions to crooked politicians, union interference in right-to-work states.

Union dues are nothing more that extortion...by the union mafia.

I love all the frightened Dem strategists saying the NLRB issue won't matter. It's a very well-known issue here in right-to-work Virginia, and nothing Obama has done has pissed me off more than this.

And don't tell me the NLRB is independent. He staffed it with insanely pro-union people in order to appease his big labor contributors.

Pathetic.

The tremendous loss of jobs in the auto industry and supporting businesses related to once profitable factories in Detroit is DIRECTLY attributable to unions and their ridiculous demands on the owners. The jobs moved. Thanks to your glorious unions.

Not really. It is directly attributable to the arrogance of corporate executives inability to fail to recognize that innovation is necessary for long-term profitability, though.

How does it serve their best interests if the business goes out because of their greed any more than it would serve their best interests if the business went under because of the greed of their managers?

So you're saying we should assume the business owner is so irrational that he'll agree to a deal that puts himself out a business? That's a bizarre belief.

No. That's the problem. The business owners can't agree to the deals that put them out of business regardless how much the Unions demand it. Thus they stop worker and they are de facto out of business regardless.

The businesses are put in an out of business if you agree and out of business if you don't position unless they make efforts to move the company or get new workers somehow.

I know you guys like to pretend these laws actually protect workers, but in reality they screw them over.

Actually we can blame our damn selves. For example, I would rather buy one quality 'made in America' shirt anywhere than purchasing 5 made in China pieces of garbage from Walmart for the same price. But that's just me.

Well at least on this issue we can remain a free republic.

The House of Representatives has passed a bill that would undermine the government's case accusing Boeing Co. of retaliating against union workers.

The measure, approved on a 238-186 vote, would limit the National Labor Relations Board's enforcement power by prohibiting the agency from ordering any employer to shut down plants or relocate work, even after a company had violated labor laws.

Republicans and their allies in the business community have criticized the National Labor Relations Board for more than a year as the agency issued a spate of union-friendly decisions and rules.

Read more: House Passes Bill To Limit Labor Relations Board Authority | Fox News

and that is expected to pass the Senate and get the President's signature? Boehner and company were just creating a temporary diversion so they would not have to gut up and work on real issues.

Not really. It is directly attributable to the arrogance of corporate executives inability to fail to recognize that innovation is necessary for long-term profitability, though.

Lack of innovation didn't kill the auto industry. Union pensions did it. How are you supposed to make a profit when you have to pay some fat union thug a huge pension for 35-40 years to not do a thing?

Actually we can blame our damn selves. For example, I would rather buy one quality 'made in America' shirt anywhere than purchasing 5 made in China pieces of garbage from Walmart for the same price. But that's just me.

I have bought perfectly good Nautica dress shirts at Sams Club for $12. for that price, if they fall apart in 3 months, it's still worth it. However, it's been 3 years and they are still perfectly wearable.

Your understanding of reality is obviously a delusion.

So you're saying we should assume the business owner is so irrational that he'll agree to a deal that puts himself out a business? That's a bizarre belief.

No. That's the problem. The business owners can't agree to the deals that put them out of business regardless how much the Unions demand it. Thus they stop worker and they are de facto out of business regardless.

The businesses are put in an out of business if you agree and out of business if you don't position unless they make efforts to move the company or get new workers somehow.

I know you guys like to pretend these laws actually protect workers, but in reality they screw them over.

We need a national boycott of items from foreign countruies. We should be posting what products are solely made in America and stick with those until the other manufacturers decide it's best to bring their manufacturing jobs back to the US.

The House of Representatives has passed a bill that would undermine the government's case accusing Boeing Co. of retaliating against union workers.

The measure, approved on a 238-186 vote, would limit the National Labor Relations Board's enforcement power by prohibiting the agency from ordering any employer to shut down plants or relocate work, even after a company had violated labor laws.

Republicans and their allies in the business community have criticized the National Labor Relations Board for more than a year as the agency issued a spate of union-friendly decisions and rules.

Read more: House Passes Bill To Limit Labor Relations Board Authority | Fox News
Maybe, let's see what the Democratic controlled senate does with it.

A better set of terms might perhaps be borrowed from the military. You know, arming ourselves so that we can fight with business as equals instead of being slaughtered without any ability to fight back, that sort of thing. Because that's really what it is.

I never realized that weapons and lethal force were used in business negotiations. On the other hand, when we are discussing unions, we are talking about an organized gang of thugs.

The unions cant claim harm if employment rose. And it did.

don't' go confusing them with facts.. they'll just get all... confused

The difference here is that I actually offered evidence to support my claim of where the public stands, where you offered none whatsoever but merely exclaimed angrily. So who's in denial here? Not I.

If you want to know where the workers of this country stand, look at the membership in unions.

ABC - Union Membership Declines Nationwide
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released their annual report on union membership across all industries on January 25th.

From 2009 to 2010, union membership fell from 14.5 percent to 13.1 percent of the U.S. private construction workforce, with construction unions losing 157,000 members.

In 2010, just 801,000 workers in the private construction industry belonged to a union, the lowest recorded number of construction union members since BLS started tracking this information in 1973.

Overall, union members accounted for 11.9 percent of employed wage and salary workers (public and private), a decrease from 12.3 percent in 2009.

The union membership rate for public sector workers (36.2 percent) was substantially higher than the rate for private sector workers (6.9 percent).

Wrong. He states the simple fact that union strikes cost Boeing billions of dollars and threaten it's ability to stay in business. That isn't "retaliation." That is stating the business reason for the move.

It's also retaliation. The law says that a business cannot end the jobs of union members in retaliation for any lawful union action, including a strike. As this relocation would end the jobs of union members and is being done in retaliation for the strike, it is unlawful.

When the company adds that the strike cost the company a lot of money, that's not adding anything pertinent. It's just whining. A strike is supposed to cost the company money, otherwise there's no point to striking at all. In any case, a company can no more relocate so as to break a union than it can fire people for trying to form one.
bull fucking shit.

NO union jobs were lost. They INCREASED the number of union jobs at the first plant. The unions are pissed that Boeing built the second plant in a non-union area... costing them dues.

Jobs that did not yet exist, are not jobs lost by union members.

It is not ending union jobs, there numbers just increased.

The number of union jobs increased with this move? Document that, please.

Federal labor board seeks to ground Boeing | Examiner Editorial | Opinion | Washington Examiner
And back in Washington, Boeing has actually increased employment at its Puget Sound plant by 2,000 workers.

Opinion: NLRB costing South Carolina jobs - Rep. Kevin McCarthy and Rep. Tim Scott - POLITICO.com
Boeing’s expansion to the Palmetto State did not cost a single union job back in Washington state. In fact, Boeing has added 2,000 jobs in Washington since opening its North Charleston facility.

shall I continue?

Maybe next time you should research the topics you post about... might make you looks slight less stupid.

Also, for those claiming Boeing didn't break the law, that argument would be a lot easier to make if their CEO hadn't admitted it publicly.

He said Boeing didn't pick South Carolina for expansion last year because of Washington's tax rates or regulatory system. Nor was it a question of chasing low wages.

"The overriding factor was not the business climate. And it was not the wages we are paying today," Albaugh said. "It was that we can't afford to have a work stoppage every three years. And we can't afford to continue the rate of escalation of wages."

Business & Technology | Albaugh: Boeing's 'first preference' is to build planes in Puget Sound region | Seattle Times Newspaper

So I can either listen to you guys and believe it wasn't retaliation, or listen to Boeing's CEO went he said it was.

you, are a complete and total moron if you think that is the same as saying 'we broke a law'.

Also, for those claiming Boeing didn't break the law, that argument would be a lot easier to make if their CEO hadn't admitted it publicly.

So I can either listen to you guys and believe it wasn't retaliation, or listen to Boeing's CEO went he said it was.

Nope, I don't see any admission the move was based on retaliation. However, it was based on the knowledge that union thugs would make it difficult for Boeing to make a profit.

That being said, the law is an outrage. Why should any business be forced to deal with any union it doesn't want to deal with?

He clearly states it's retaliation for strikes.

you are clearly a moron. Show me where he said 'retaliation'.

The strikes cause him to make a business decision not to expand in a union location, because the costs associated with work stoppages would be too high.

Perfectly legal, Show me where it is illegal.

Ho Hum. Just a part of the Republican continuing effort to abolish unions, minimum wage, and laws that protect workers.

Forum List

Back