Free speech and the OWS.

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKnyiE_scL8&feature=g-u-u&context=G2b72531FUAAAAAAAAAA]VETS and Americans kick the SHIT out of OWS protestors burning flag in Oakland. - YouTube[/ame]

Burning the flag is an expression of free speech, however all idiots are allow this. Some times people need to not show how stupid they can be. The Flag for any country is supposed to represent that country and what it stands for.America use to be the beacon of hope for the world, and when idiots in the name of free speech burn the flag they are also burning the hope of the world. Now that's my free speech in action. Have a great day.

I expect this from people around the world who don't have access to the free press.
They believe things about this country because they don't have the truth.
And even if they do have the truth I can understand it.I don't like it but what can you do.
I don't accept it from these college pukes who have had a nice life in this country.

I wonder if Princess Nancy is still smitten like a little schoolgirl over these ass wipes.

I expect this from people around the world who don't have access to the free press.
They believe things about this country because they don't have the truth.
And even if they do have the truth I can understand it.I don't like it but what can you do.
I don't accept it from these college pukes who have had a nice life in this country.

I wonder if Princess Nancy is still smitten like a little schoolgirl over these ass wipes.

I agree
As far has Nancy she's more than likely the lead cheer leader.

300 arrested at Occupy protests in Oakland
After clashing with police, demonstrators break into City Hall and burn a U.S. flag. Mayor Quan calls on the movement to "stop using Oakland as its playground."

It appears Ms. Quan finally realizes what most of us recognized about the OWS i.e. just want to destroy!
I am amazed at the supposedly "smart" people that supposedly support OWS KNOWING full well it is NOT a constructive movement but DESTRUCTIVE!

300 arrested at Occupy protests in Oakland - latimes.com

I saw an interview with a top Oakland police official severely complaining that all because these spoiled stupid people doing what they did COST Oakland $$ they could ill afford and delayed life-threatening activities for other citizens while police involved with these idiots!

I really wonder how you people on this forum that defend OWS juveniles really must feel if you consider yourselves compassionate, giving people while the movement you support destroys property adds to the costs of society!

Maybe it's because some of you 50 year old defenders of OWS are still juveniles to begin with... yea stick it to the man...!

do you object to people wearing the flag as clothing? the treatment of the us flag is a disgrace in much of this country.....old tattered flags still flying....etc

i hate to see clothing made out of the us flag....i would rather seen it burned in protest...esp in a country where freedoms are less and less...

Yeah, the Tea Partiers do seem to be unwilling to put their bodies on the line for what they believe. I guess it might be because so many of them are old. Young people often have more courage, sometimes foolish courage, while older people, who have learned that they are after all mortal, and are acquainted with the increasing frailty of their own bodies, are more cautious.

Those who were burning the flag were cheered.
I'm sure those who tried to stop it are going to be prosecuted
to the fullest extent of the law...
Maybe Gloria Alred will pop up again in a news conference
seeking a multimillion dollar class action suit against those who stepped in to stop this.

Since they committed crimes of violence, that's the way it should be.

OWS believes that if there isn't a freedom to destroy property, there is no free speech at all.

The police are impotent to deal with these kinds of protests. It is up to the people themselves. Exactly as happened here.

Arson is a legitimate expression of free speech.

Too bad the whole city hall didn't go up in a blaze.

Burning the flag is an expression of free speech, however all idiots are allow this. Some times people need to not show how stupid they can be. The Flag for any country is supposed to represent that country and what it stands for.America use to be the beacon of hope for the world, and when idiots in the name of free speech burn the flag they are also burning the hope of the world. Now that's my free speech in action. Have a great day.

That Americans are free to burn the flag – or engage in any other type of unpopular free-expression without fear of government reprisal – is actually in of itself a beacon of hope for the world. Indeed, the burning flag ignites that hope.

If you have a permit, you can burn a flag or just about anything else on your own property (or sometimes public property).

You're correct that the way in which these protesters burned a flag could technically be considered arson (assuming they didn't have a permit).

However, it sounds like some of you are suggesting that violence is a valid way to protest speech you disagree with.

If you have a permit, you can burn a flag or just about anything else on your own property (or sometimes public property).

You're correct that the way in which these protesters burned a flag could technically be considered arson (assuming they didn't have a permit).

However, it sounds like some of you are suggesting that violence is a valid way to protest speech you disagree with.

Not speech, behavior. It was a huge mistake to find behavior a form of speech. Now I fully agree that people should be allowed to blaze away on their own property. Maybe the fire department shouldn't interfere to save the lives or property of someone engaged in exercising their Constitutional rights of free speech on their own property. The authorities should do everything they can to protect the lives and property of others so they are not harmed by such free speech.

Now if the violence of OWS is free speech, it is also free speech for anyone who wants to stop them. Free speech prohibits the government from silencing them. The police are impotent because of this. There is no prohibition against someone else, not in the government from stopping them. The government should butt out and let it be settled as it should be settled. By the citizens themselves.

I wasn't defending it I thought I made that clear, but yes the supreme court has rled burning the U.S. flag is a protected right under the first amendment. And furthermore what I wrote should have given you an idea of my views on burning the flag.

Supreme Court Strikes Down All Laws Banning Flag Desecration (1989):

Outside the 1984 Republican National Convention in Dallas, Gregory Lee Johnson burned a flag in protest against President Ronald Reagan's policies. He was arrested under Texas' flag desecration statute. In its 5-4 ruling in Texas v. Johnson, the Supreme Court struck down flag desecration laws in 48 states by ruling that flag desecration is a constitutionally protected form of free speech.
Flag Burning Laws - History of U.S. Laws Against Flag Burning

Maybe Gloria Alred will pop up again in a news conference
seeking a multimillion dollar class action suit against those who stepped in to stop this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgnKf6psB9U"]Nancy Pelosi Flip Flops on the Occupy Movement - YouTube[/ame]

That Americans are free to burn the flag – or engage in any other type of unpopular free-expression without fear of government reprisal – is actually in of itself a beacon of hope for the world. Indeed, the burning flag ignites that hope.

So when one beacon is being burned it cancels out the other one making us all look like a bunch of idiots.

Not speech, behavior. It was a huge mistake to find behavior a form of speech. Now I fully agree that people should be allowed to blaze away on their own property. Maybe the fire department shouldn't interfere to save the lives or property of someone engaged in exercising their Constitutional rights of free speech on their own property. The authorities should do everything they can to protect the lives and property of others so they are not harmed by such free speech.

Now if the violence of OWS is free speech, it is also free speech for anyone who wants to stop them. Free speech prohibits the government from silencing them. The police are impotent because of this. There is no prohibition against someone else, not in the government from stopping them. The government should butt out and let it be settled as it should be settled. By the citizens themselves.

Mob rule isn't the intent of the Constitution. The Founders were always wary of that.

Burning down your house is usually illegal because of related dangers. Burning a flag isn't dangerous if you exercise the appropriate caution.

If someone legally burns a flag in front of you, and it offends you, you can legally yell at them for it, but you can't attack them physically.

Again, I get the impression the flag burning in the video was probably illegal due to a lack of a permit.

Forum List

Back