Free Market healthcare won't work!

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
Some of the very best doctors make $200,000 or more per year but CEOs of health insurance agencies take in tens of millions. What is wrong with that picture? From my perspective, the doctor is getting shortchanged. He has spent years studying to gain the skills necessary to be a doctor of medicine; but ,doctors aren't at the top of the food chain in the healthcare system as far as earning power is concerned.

CEOs, some with an associate or bachelor's degree, sit at the top of the pyramid
enjoying the lion's share for being good at gaming the system. These thieves do nothing to improve healthcare delivery and have no incentive to do anything but get as many healthy people to pay into the system and to discourage as many sick applicants as they can,, Despite the colorful and flowery message seen in their brochures to bait you, they really don't care about you.

In a totally free market healthcare system there would be no government subsidies to keep such a system afloat nor a middle man known as an insurer. Consider that carefully. If everyone had to pay for healthcare out of their pockets, 80 % of the population would face financial ruin from one catastrophic illness or injury. In effect, the "Law of the Jungle" would dominate healthcare where only the economically fit would survive.

Free market works everywhere. Competition, supply and demand, health incidents and costs will determine the rates and success and failure of businesses. How else can any exchange of goods and services be better provided?

Ontario has $315B in debt for a province with a third the population of California. It's the closest thing to a communist jurisdiction you will find ANYWHERE. It's primary costs are healthcare and the OPP (plus alot of theft and looking the other way by the OPP as an 8.5% raise to the union buys alot of favor, but I disgress).

Bottom line: Ontario WILL be insolvent. Not if or maybe, but when. Healthcare expenses paid for by the government is the primary reason for this. That's the single-payer method. I prefer a two tier system, have said so for years, now we will be bankrupt because we refused to face the facts. Hey, what the hell do I know.

Free market works everywhere. Competition, supply and demand, health incidents and costs will determine the rates and success and failure of businesses. How else can any exchange of goods and services be better provided?

Ontario has $315B in debt for a province with a third the population of California. It's the closest thing to a communist jurisdiction you will find ANYWHERE. It's primary costs are healthcare and the OPP (plus alot of theft and looking the other way by the OPP as an 8.5% raise to the union buys alot of favor, but I disgress).

Bottom line: Ontario WILL be insolvent. Not if or maybe, but when. Healthcare expenses paid for by the government is the primary reason for this. That's the single-payer method. I prefer a two tier system, have said so for years, now we will be bankrupt because we refused to face the facts. Hey, what the hell do I know.

Yep, an additional $9,000/year per person in taxes is what it would take to cover healthcare costs.

Under the current Obamacare structure, I am able to choose between MVP, Fidelity, and Excellus BC/BS... My doctor doesn't even take Fidelity, so now I only have two choices for health insurance. Under TrumpCare (phase II), I will be able to choose between those three providers and many others, including USAA, who does not currently provide health insurance in my state.

To say competition doesn't provide benefits to the consumer is idiotic. If you look at the cell phone industry, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Free Market may work in the business sector as long as people can afford to buy the goods and services. Supply and demand does factor there. But Free market healthcare and insurance is something totally different. Perhaps the reason there is no Free Market healthcare anywhere on the planet is because demand is often framed in terms of life and death or quality of life situations, and most of us couldn't afford it. Is unfettered Private healthcare insurance the answer? How did that work out over the last 50 years? It got so bad that Reagan had to sign a bill that required hospitals to treat people regardless of their ability to pay, including immigrants, illegal or other wise.

There's no other nation that is developed on earth that doesn't use single payer. WTF are you talking about? The private sector is what failed us before we did the ACA.

Free Market may work in the business sector as long as people can afford to buy the goods and services. Supply and demand does factor there. But Free market healthcare and insurance is something totally different. Perhaps the reason there is no Free Market healthcare anywhere on the planet is because demand is often framed in terms of life and death or quality of life situations, and most of us couldn't afford it. Is unfettered Private healthcare insurance the answer? How did that work out over the last 50 years? It got so bad that Reagan had to sign a bill that required hospitals to treat people regardless of their ability to pay, including immigrants, illegal or other wise.

You are erroneous in your assumption that health care prices today are at all representative of what those in a free market would be.

Forum List

Back