Free Market Failures

Can you name any failure of a federal bureaucracy that has been done away with?

Nope.

More often than not, the failure of bureaucracy is pointed to as evidence that even more of it is called for.

You could never get away with that in the free market.

You mean like the toppling of governments or destruction of governments via the free market spread by the IMF and the World Bank? Or the purpose of International Republican Institute, the National Democratic Institute and Freedom House and currently USAID?

Shall we delve into the privatization failures in the US?

The IMF spreads free markets? Have you told them?

technical assistance and training to help countries improve the management of their economies.
https://www.imf.org/external/about/whatwedo.htm

Does teaching countries how to manage their economies sound like the free market to you?

Nope.

More often than not, the failure of bureaucracy is pointed to as evidence that even more of it is called for.

You mean like the toppling of governments or destruction of governments via the free market spread by the IMF and the World Bank? Or the purpose of International Republican Institute, the National Democratic Institute and Freedom House and currently USAID?

technical assistance and training to help countries improve the management of their economies.

Does teaching countries how to manage their economies sound like the free market to you?

After six decades of zealously promoting free market economic policies, the International Monetary Fund has traded its dogmatism for pragmatism.

For years, governments that dared to challenge the IMF model found themselves out of favor in Washington and other Western capitals.

But the financial crisis that swept the planet in 2008 prompted a new debate over free market policies and IMF ideology.

Now, in a notable turnaround, the IMF has acknowledged that in some instances, developing countries might benefit from controlling how much foreign capital enters their economies — and how it's used.

The issue goes to the heart of the capitalist system. Free market advocates have long insisted that capital should be allowed to move around the world unimpeded by government regulation, responding to the same supply and demand forces that drive global trade in manufactured goods.

Investors who see opportunities in the labor-rich but capital-poor countries of the developing world, free marketeers argue, should be free to move into those economies whenever they sense a profit to be made — and free to withdraw their money as soon as they lose interest.

They say it's a sure way to economic growth.

That proposition is now being questioned, however, by the very IMF economists who once championed it. Turns out there is such a thing as too much capital flowing into an economy.
Global Reality Challenges IMF's Free Market Gospel : NPR

I have been pushing for all of those things for years, no one has ever called me a neoliberal. In fact, they usually call me a crazy right wing conservative.

Want to try again?

No. I want you to say what you wrote out loud and try again.

Will it change if I say it out loud?

I oppose government regulations of markets, support free trade, think government services should be privatized, and not a single person has ever called me a neoliberal.

Here. You're a neoliberal.

Now you have been. You're not having been called one does not mean that the term is not now or has been used. That isn't an argument.

Nope.

No, I am talking about failed bureaucracies like the Department of Education, getting away with claiming that their failure to raise standards is for the lack of funding and central authority. They are not alone.

BTW, IMF, World Bank, so on and so forth, are not free marketeers. That you would point to them as such is laughable. That you would invoke them as models of free markets run amok makes me double facepalm.

Wow. :lol:

After six decades of zealously promoting free market economic policies, the International Monetary Fund has traded its dogmatism for pragmatism.

For years, governments that dared to challenge the IMF model found themselves out of favor in Washington and other Western capitals.

But the financial crisis that swept the planet in 2008 prompted a new debate over free market policies and IMF ideology.

Now, in a notable turnaround, the IMF has acknowledged that in some instances, developing countries might benefit from controlling how much foreign capital enters their economies — and how it's used.
Central banks, like the IMF, are the very antithesis of a free market in action.

This is amazing. :eusa_doh: :lol:

Nope.

No, I am talking about failed bureaucracies like the Department of Education, getting away with claiming that their failure to raise standards is for the lack of funding and central authority. They are not alone.

BTW, IMF, World Bank, so on and so forth, are not free marketeers. That you would point to them as such is laughable. That you would invoke them as models of free markets run amok makes me double facepalm.

Oh, dear god. You are one of those get rid of the Department of Education folks. :eusa_hand:

Yes, I hate to break it to you but the IMF and the World Bank have spent many, many years promoting the free market. How unfortunate that you were not aware. All of that I posted earlier? It happened. Hence the topic.

Last edited:

Oh, dear god. You are one of those get rid of the Department of Education folks. :eusa_hand:

Yes, I hate to break it to you but the IMF and the World Bank have spent many, many years promoting the free market. How unfortunate that you were not aware.
DoE is an example. Noted that you didn't refute it, but went to the personal aside.

You really have NFI what you are blabbering about. Best to head for the lifeboats now. :lol:

Yes, I hate to break it to you but the IMF and the World Bank have spent many, many years promoting the free market. How unfortunate that you were not aware.
DoE is an example.

Noted that you didn't refute it, but went to the personal attack.

You really have NFI what you are blabbering about. Best to head for the lifeboats now. :lol:
DOE is the Department of Energy.

The smartest thing that you can do is keep playing with your bumper stickers.

No, you don't win a blame everything on the Department of Education. And yes, the IMF and the World Bank promote free market policies.

Last edited:

DoE is an example.

No, you don't win a blame everything on the Department of Education.
You are clueless. Seriously clueless.

Central banks are the bane of truly free markets, yet you point to them as the leading indicator of what free markets do.

Lifeboats are loading now. Best get a seat while they are to be had. :lol:

Last edited:
DoE is an example.

Central banking is the bane of truly free markets, yet you point to them as the leading indicator of what they do.

No, you are simply uneducated.

Central banking is the bane of truly free markets, yet you point to them as the leading indicator of what they do.

Please, educate us all about how central banks are the linchpin of free markets.

The floor is yours.......

Well, here is the thing. HH is a con tool. Con tools hate education. And science. And studies. And facts.
If you are a con tool like HH, you simply cut and paste from the bat shit crazy con web sites and ignore the easily proven fact that every really good education system in the world is public. The private systems are just for the small part of the various countries populaces that can afford it. Which is, of course, a con wet dream.

Well, here is the thing. HH is a con tool. Con tools hate education. And science. And studies. And facts.
If you are a con tool like HH, you simply cut and paste from the bat shit crazy con web sites and ignore the easily proven fact that every really good education system in the world is public. The private systems are just for the small part of the various countries populaces that can afford it. Which is, of course, a con wet dream.
Worthless personal attack. Grow up.

The question to Disir stands. Feel free to join in and explain how a central bank (a monopoly) is key to a free market.

I am really interested in hearing this one out.

Last edited:
Worthless personal attack. Grow up.

The question to Disir stands. Feel free to join in and explain how a central bank (a monopoly) is key to a free market.

I am really interested in hearing this one out.
Yes, yes, yes, you just hate it when I point out what you have said. Like the Dept of Education is a bad idea. Which would be you (a proven con tool) stating that public education is a bad idea. And since you are incapable of defending your position, you suggest you are being unfairly attacked. Which, of course, is simply a con tool saying that they are ignorant. Which is, me girl, not news.
You see, me girl, if private education is better, point out the nations that have primarily private education. Or just go on bitching.

Relative to the central bank question, it has been explained perhaps a thousand times. Cons never understand. Send money, and I will provide you with an education on the subject, which you will not understand. Do you want to try to explain again how much you believe in the gold standard??? You know, the gold standard finally eliminated in it's entirety by Nixon. The concept that exists only in the minds of Libertarians, and does not exist in any economy in the world??? I need not explain anything, me poor ignorant con tool. The FED exists. The gold standard does not, except in the vacuum which acts as a mind among libertarians.

Last edited:
So, you have nothing.

The DoE was an example of how bureaucracy gets to fail and survive, while no free market operation would ever get to do so. Claiming I said that education is a bad thing by using that example is the purest of straw man arguments.

You keep trying to change the subject here. I have no position to defend.

Which federal bureaucracy has been abolished because it was ineffective and worthless?

???

Please, educate us all about how central banks are the linchpin of free markets.

The floor is yours.......

I did at the beginning of the thread. Are you familiar with Friedman?

So, you have nothing.

The DoE was an example of how bureaucracy gets to fail and survive, while no free market operation would ever get to do so. Claiming I said that education is a bad thing by using that example is the purest of straw man arguments.

Which federal bureaucracy has been abolished because it was ineffective and worthless?

???

You haven't shown me one that has failed.

So, you have nothing.

???

ZOMGSTFUNOWAY! :rofl:

Monopolies never fail. Just ask them, they will tell you!

I'm starting to see a pattern here. She is not very familiar with the economic history, foreign policy or any of the major players. Thus it must get twisted into something obscure that resembles a bumper sticker.

So, you have nothing.

???

ZOMGSTFUNOWAY! :rofl:

Monopolies never fail. Just ask them, they will tell you!

You still haven't shown me one that has failed. You planning on doing that soon or do you want to get back to me on that?

Forum List

Back