Freddie Gray: May his memory be a blessing

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
Last April, Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old African-American man, was arrested, handcuffed, and shackled — then tossed in the back of a police van and allegedly given a “rough ride,” with deliberate violent turns and rapid stops to slam his body against the van’s walls.

When he emerged, his neck was broken and he was in a coma. He died a week later of spinal cord injuries, inspiring Black Lives Matter protests nationwide. 1

The medical examiner ruled Gray’s death a homicide, and six police officers were charged. The case against the first officer ended in a mistrial in December. This week, a judge dismissed all charges against a second officer.

In response, our friends at ColorOfChange.org declared: “This injustice sends a clear message: Black communities cannot rely on law enforcement to protect their lives or the justice system to protect them from police violence. President Barack Obama must intervene.”

As Jews, we couldn’t agree more, so we’re joining in this demand.

The letter calls on the President to:

1. enforce and expand federal bans on police discrimination and violence
  2. strengthen current disciplinary mechanisms for law enforcement nationwide
  3. direct the Department of Justice and the FBI to investigate and prosecute police misconduct more aggressively
Black Lives Matter protests are leading to the indictment of more police officers, but it’s not yet leading to accountability or less violence against communities of color.

Silence is not an option. It’s time to raise our voices more loudly in the fight against racial injustice. American Jews — Jews of Color and White Jews — have participated in this fight before, and it’s time to do it again.

President Obama can and should act immediately. Sign the letter to President Obama now.

Together, we can ensure that Freddie Gray’s memory will be a blessing.

May Freddie Gray's Memory Be A Blessing

Taking out the problems with black America, one piece of shit at a time. His death amuses me.

sad to say at this point i cannot keep up with which black was killed by whom? martin, grey, rice it all just runs together at this point....i am amazed that people rioted over the rough ride but said very little about the 12 yr old shot who had the play gun....which one was that? rice?

His passing was a blessing to society
More than you know. Woke up a lot of African americans to the systemic racism rampant in the US.

Indeed. And what's really interesting is how Gray has been labeled a "thug" when he was much less thuggish than George Zimmerman, who has been connected with abusing women, having a physical altercation with a police officer, and multIple instances of breaking traffic laws.

But he has been elevated to the status of a folk hero, for shooting a 17 year old who alledgedly was kicking his cowardly, gun toting ass.

More than you know. Woke up a lot of African americans to the systemic racism rampant in the US.

What's really interesting is how Gray has been labeled a "thug" when he was much less thuggish than George Zimmerman, who has been connected with abusing women, having a physical altercation with a police officer, and multIple instances of breaking traffic laws.

But he has been elevated to the status of a folk hero, for shooting a 17 year old who alledgedly was kicking his cowardly, gun toting ass.

I think Zimmerman is a nut....run along now

What's really interesting is how Gray has been labeled a "thug" when he was much less thuggish than George Zimmerman, who has been connected with abusing women, having a physical altercation with a police officer, and multIple instances of breaking traffic laws.

I was not addressing you, however it looks like you're correct.....one time in a row. Things are looking up for you.

I was not addressing you, however it looks like you're correct.....one time in a row. Things are looking up for you.

Soon you might catch me.

Soon you might catch me.

I would have to regress. No thank you.

Was this one the heroin dealer who ran from Police? Long record, known by sight, first name basis? He who probably ate his stuff passed out, hit his head? We supposed to worry about every accident? Aint nobody got time fo dat! We got real issues.

sad to say at this point i cannot keep up with which black was killed by whom? martin, grey, rice it all just runs together at this point....i am amazed that people rioted over the rough ride but said very little about the 12 yr old shot who had the play gun....which one was that? rice?
Another lie they cant prove as far as the rough ride..... this is nothing more than a systemic attack on law and order.........idiots wont like what comes next either but they are to stupid to think past their next welfare check

Indeed. And what's really interesting is how Gray has been labeled a "thug" when he was much less thuggish than George Zimmerman, who has been connected with abusing women, having a physical altercation with a police officer, and multIple instances of breaking traffic laws.

This dynamic really validates the existence of BLM. There is a different standard created when a Black person is killed.

Forum List

Back