Francis Ford Coppola: Scorsese was being kind – Marvel movies are despicable

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

The director of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now has joined Martin Scorsese in dismissing the dominant series of superhero films.

Speaking to journalists in Lyon following his acceptance of the Prix Lumière for his contribution to cinema, Francis Ford Coppola, 80, said: “When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.”

Coppola continued: “I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again. Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.”

I do find these films to be tedious and avoid them where possible. But they are a fact of life and people do enjoy them. Fashions change and pretty soon something else will take over.

The director of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now has joined Martin Scorsese in dismissing the dominant series of superhero films.

Speaking to journalists in Lyon following his acceptance of the Prix Lumière for his contribution to cinema, Francis Ford Coppola, 80, said: “When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.”

Coppola continued: “I don’t know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again. Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it’s despicable, which I just say it is.”

I do find these films to be tedious and avoid them where possible. But they are a fact of life and people do enjoy them. Fashions change and pretty soon something else will take over.

Gee Tommy, by random chance you seem to have made a halfway intelligent point! I don't think I've seen any Marvel pictures and if I have, it was very forgettable. I've generally lost interest in the whole of Hollywood these days and have been super unimpressed by about five "superhero" pictures I've seen over the last ten years, there is even one or two "Star Wars" movies I haven't bothered to see, and that would have been unthinkable at one time. I can't remember the last time I saw a new Hollywood film that really left me impressed. I never even saw the last "Star Trek" movie. Yawn. About the only thing in years that even halfway has me thinking to maybe (maybe) go see it is an apparently new remake of the Terminator series before Linda and Arnold are dead.

This new "Transformers" and other superhero glop they are putting out now that is all CGI (especially the 3-D crap) is unrealistic looking in its movement and action, badly written, uninvolving, with cardboard characters, bad acting, no name stars and really, stuff more suitable for children. I honestly cannot think of one new upcoming star in Hollywood that I'd give you 2¢ for, and that is fine by me.

Gee Tommy, by random chance you seem to have made a halfway intelligent point! I don't think I've seen any Marvel pictures and if I have, it was very forgettable. I've generally lost interest in the whole of Hollywood these days and have been super unimpressed by about five "superhero" pictures I've seen over the last ten years, there is even one or two "Star Wars" movies I haven't bothered to see, and that would have been unthinkable at one time. I can't remember the last time I saw a new Hollywood film that really left me impressed. I never even saw the last "Star Trek" movie. Yawn. About the only thing in years that even halfway has me thinking to maybe (maybe) go see it is an apparently new remake of the Terminator series before Linda and Arnold are dead.

This new "Transformers" and other superhero glop they are putting out now that is all CGI (especially the 3-D crap) is unrealistic looking in its movement and action, badly written, uninvolving, with cardboard characters, bad acting, no name stars and really, stuff more suitable for children. I honestly cannot think of one new upcoming star in Hollywood that I'd give you 2¢ for, and that is fine by me.

from your detailed description its obvious you did see them,,, cause a guy like you wouldnt lie about it,,would you??

from your detailed description its obvious you did see them,,, cause a guy like you wouldn't lie about it,,would you??
I've checked a few out on TV and maybe one or two in theaters. Not sure which if any were Marvel films. I just don't keep track of that stuff. I do know this though, I've watched 2-3 of the Spiderman movies, 1-2 of the Hulk movies and I think 2 of the Iron Man movies and they all sucked. Bored me to tears. I end up fast forwarding through them.

There is no "cinema" to them, no substance. Without the gee whiz action scenes and computer special effects, they got nothing, and even that is not enough.

from your detailed description its obvious you did see them,,, cause a guy like you wouldn't lie about it,,would you??
I've checked a few out on TV and maybe one or two in theaters. Not sure which if any were Marvel films. I just don't keep track of that stuff. I do know this though, I've watched 2-3 of the Spiderman movies, 1-2 of the Hulk movies and I think 2 of the Iron Man movies and they all sucked. Bored me to tears. I end up fast forwarding through them.
based on that I would recommend a CAT scan because your memory is failing,,,

first you said you didnt see any of them then described them in detail and now say youve seen several of them,,,

first you said you didnt see any of them then described them in detail and now say youve seen several of them,,,

Speaking of CAT scans, maybe you should try? I never said what you claim, shithead, my exact words were: "I don't think I've seen any Marvel pictures and if I have, it was very forgettable." Which is exactly what I reiterated in my last post. Maybe you should try to stick to the actual topic of the OP, the quality of the movies, and get your Aspergers under control with medication and worry less about the minutiae of someone's wording.

Speaking of CAT scans, maybe you should try? I never said what you claim, shithead, my exact words were: "I don't think I've seen any Marvel pictures and if I have, it was very forgettable." Which is exactly what I reiterated in my last post. Maybe you should try to stick to the actual topic of the OP, the quality of the movies, and get your Aspergers under control with medication and worry less about the minutiae of someone's wording.

you said they were forgettable but then went on to describe them in detail,,,

so were they forgettable or you remembered them in detail???

you said they were forgettable but then went on to describe them in detail,,,

so were they forgettable or you remembered them in detail???

Hey jackass idiot, don't you know what forgettable means? Must people waste their time arguing every stupid grade school point with idiots like you? You don't know the difference between a forgettable film and a memorable one? Forgettable films are ones you'd like to forget you'd ever seen and would never watch again. Memorable ones, are ones like what the directors were talking about, that left you with a great impression, a real experience that you treasured, added to the amalgam of your life experience and would probably want to see again. Get it now?

I think they just have one plot. Its written on a fag packet and plumped up with lots of tedious explosions.

Hollywood elitists are laughable. You gotta go where the money is. Millennials don't want inspiration, they want video games. What did Scorsese inspire in the movie Taxi Driver besides violence and assassination?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back