France and Germany shut out!

nobody said the USof A is perfect. but god bless her anyway!!! and as for Canada heading up afganastan, tip of the hat my northern friends:beer: lets hope there isnt to much of a fall out over the contracts in iraq thing. pluses and minises both ways:)

Originally posted by Aquarian
Shutting the 4 countries out from reconstruction projects (especially when those same 4 countries are contributing money to fund the reconstruction) because they did not jump on the war bandwagon is wrong if only on issues of appearance.

No disrespect to all, but ya'll need to read the articles a little more closely. They aren't being shut out entirely, just out of the most lucrative contracts. They are free to bid on the rest. At least this was in the articles I read.

I think this explains a lot though, especially why those countries didn't want to go to war to begin with - MONEY. They didn't want to lose out on the money and contracts they already had with Saddam. Now they are seething at the prospect of not getting money on rebuilding contracts.

I say sign those countries to contracts TODAY and make it a requirement that they enter Iraq by the end of next week. Will they send in people to help rebuild so they can make money and risk their lives? That would be odd when they refused to do so to help the Iraqi people before. Greed works in mysterious ways.

Originally posted by jimnyc
just out of the most lucrative contracts.

Those went to Haliburton before the war started.
They are free to bid on the rest. At least this was in the articles I read.

The $187 B is the construction money authorized by Congress. Other than the 3 Billion or so from the donors conference (which the four countries that are now locked out of the process were asked to attend.) what other moneys have been slotted for Iraq. I think your reffering to their option to sub the work from the primary contractors, the opportunity for which may or may not materialize.
I think this explains a lot though, especially why those countries didn't want to go to war to begin with - MONEY.

That statement seems odd, does being locked out of a these contracts now mean that you were making a profit dealing with Hussein? Is that your argument? What did Canada have to do with Hussein? As for Germany and Russia, Iraq owed them money, that was their primary interest in the country. Guess what, Iraq still owes them the money.
They didn't want to lose out on the money and contracts they already had with Saddam.

Got a link detailing this financial connection? I've heard a lot of loose talk on the right but seen very little in the way of data.
Greed works in mysterious ways.
You're teling me!!! Two years ago we were in a war on Terror searching for Osama Bin Laden, now we've managed to expropriate all the oil under Iraq and have 24 million Iraqis under military occupation. What happened? Greed did.

Those went to Haliburton before the war started.

Oh, so there are no lucrative contracts left? Then why are these babies whining about unfair treatment?

The $187 B is the construction money authorized by Congress. Other than the 3 Billion or so from the donors conference (which the four countries that are now locked out of the process were asked to attend.) what other moneys have been slotted for Iraq. I think your reffering to their option to sub the work from the primary contractors, the opportunity for which may or may not materialize.

There is 187 billion set aside for reconstruction, they have been locked out of the upcoming 24 contracts to be awarded totalling 17 billion. Do tha math, that's a whole lotta money left to spend on rebuilding.

That statement seems odd, does being locked out of a these contracts now mean that you were making a profit dealing with Hussein? Is that your argument? What did Canada have to do with Hussein? As for Germany and Russia, Iraq owed them money, that was their primary interest in the country. Guess what, Iraq still owes them the money.

Do you understand the concept of a contract? Do these contracts still exist and will they be renewed? I DON'T THINK SO!

Got a link detailing this financial connection? I've heard a lot of loose talk on the right but seen very little in the way of data.

Here's one for you:
http://www.usainreview.com/2_11_Chirac_Connection.htm

You're teling me!!! Two years ago we were in a war on Terror searching for Osama Bin Laden, now we've managed to expropriate all the oil under Iraq and have 24 million Iraqis under military occupation. What happened? Greed did.

Sure, I guess it was all about stealing oil and oppressing the Iraqi people. The government votes to spend 187 billion dollars because we are so greedy. :rolleyes:

Oh, so there are no lucrative contracts left? Then why are these babies whining about unfair treatment?

'Cause it is unfair treatment.
There is 187 billion set aside for reconstruction, they have been locked out of the upcoming 24 contracts to be awarded totalling 17 billion. Do tha math, that's a whole lotta money left to spend on rebuilding.

The 17 Billion was all the contracts set to be bid on this week. According to the US Government more contracts are going to be available in the future, but the rules governing who can bid on them would have to change now, or these four countries will remain locked out of the full $187 B.
Do you understand the concept of a contract? Do these contracts still exist and will they be renewed? I DON'T THINK SO!

I understand contracts and government contracting, do you understand the concept of Iraqi national debt, cause that is what is owed to Germany, Russia and France, among others..
Baker is going on what the White House called an initial fact-finding mission to France, Germany and Russia as well as war backers Italy and Britain to seek a restructuring of Iraq's $120 billion foreign debt.

Long article, no evidence. This is the closest it came...
as one U.S. intelligence expert somewhat facetiously put it, "France will jump on board with the U.S. the minute their agents in Baghdad get done shredding all evidence of their illicit arms sales to Iraq."
No witnesses, no dates, no details. No dice.
Sure, I guess it was all about stealing oil and oppressing the Iraqi people. The government votes to spend 187 billion dollars because we are so greedy. :rolleyes:
No Jimmy, the $187B is the bill for the opportunity. You don't see the oil companies offering to pay that, do you? We (the people) get to pay it. Bushs' cronies get the gold, we get the shaft.

'Cause it is unfair treatment.

How is it unfair? You claimed all the lucrative contracts have already been given out, so why would they be angry at being shut out of peanuts? Would you like to retract your statement and admit there are plenty of lucrative contracts still open for bidding?

The 17 Billion was all the contracts set to be bid on this week. According to the US Government more contracts are going to be available in the future, but the rules governing who can bid on them would have to change now, or these four countries will remain locked out of the full $187 B.

And the government has already stated that the lockout only concerns the upcoming 24 contracts, that they have not yet locked them out of the other contracts.

I understand contracts and government contracting, do you understand the concept of Iraqi national debt, cause that is what is owed to Germany, Russia and France, among others..

Yes, and what is the likelyhood that any of these contracts get renewed? Iraq has already stated they WILL NOT renew contracts with France and Germany - or any other country that didn't offer assistance to their country. I guess they stand to lose a lot of money over the war.

No witnesses, no dates, no details. No dice.

Please, here's another one:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=7454

Where there's smoke there is fire. Now the cowards stand to lose plenty more in future revenue.

No Jimmy, the $187B is the bill for the opportunity. You don't see the oil companies offering to pay that, do you? We (the people) get to pay it. Bushs' cronies get the gold, we get the shaft.

That's exactly my point, this wasn't about greed - as it affected the wallets of every American - including "Bush's cronies". Are you inferring that they don't pay taxes? Or that they don't deserve to get paid for their work? Or are you saying we destroyed stuff solely to make money on the rebuilding? Surely you have proof for all the above, cause if not it's nothing more than an opinion, and one that carries no weight whatsoever.

How is it unfair? You claimed all the lucrative contracts have already been given out, so why would they be angry at being shut out of peanuts?

No-Bid contracts are more lucrative than open bid contracts. Haliburton, Bectel, et al got the no bid contracts; these are for open bid contracts.
And the government has already stated that the lockout only concerns the upcoming 24 contracts, that they have not yet locked them out of the other contracts.

From the administration on that topic...White House spokesman Scott McClellan
Coalition of the willing? Try the bribed. The problem is that the stick is so big (the prospect of your young men and women dying in Iraq) and the carrot so small ($187 B split) that none of the major powers are likely to be interested. They will simply use the opportunity to paint us as a renegade imperial power bent on self-aggrandizement. We as a nation certainly are not but our president appears intent on portraying us as such. You are aware that they are gaining standing in the world community at our expense, aren't you?
Yes, and what is the likelihood that any of these contracts get renewed? Iraq has already stated they WILL NOT renew contracts with France and Germany - or any other country that didn't offer assistance to their country. I guess they stand to lose a lot of money over the war.

Jimmy, there is no Iraq Government. There is Bremmer, the US Government Appointed Iraqi Governing Council and the US army. All power issues from Washington so couching your speech with phrases like"Iraq has already stated" is disingenuous.
How much were the French/German contracts worth? Can you demonstrate a connection between the leadership of France and Germany to the corporations profiting?
Please, here's another one:
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=7454Where there's smoke there is fire. Now the cowards stand to lose plenty more in future revenue.

First, this guy works for Fox News as a political commentator. The only place this argument gets significant play is on Fox, precisely for the reasons I mentioned (no proof).
Further, in this instance, the Russian company has a point. If you'd read their argument, they surveyed and developed a plan for the oilfields in question, they submitted an offer and that offer was accepted. Don't you think they should be able to profit from their efforts? The US can refuse to honor the agreement, but we do so at our own peril. Expect Russia to retaliate in kind, or more likely, whip our ass some more up at the WTO. Screwing the Russians doesn’t help the Iraqi people, Jim, it helps GWBs' buddies who work for US Oil companies.
I don't do the "smoke/fire" arguments. I have to see fire before I call it fire.
That's exactly my point, this wasn't about greed - as it affected the wallets of every American - including "Bush's cronies". Are you inferring that they don't pay taxes?

Of course they pay taxes. We all pay taxes. We all don't get no-bid contracts from the government though. I use my political connections to get $61 Mil. Does the fact I pay taxes on it make it any less graft?
Or that they don't deserve to get paid for their work?

That's why you bid out contracts, to insure you get a fair price for the work being done. We didn't do that with Haliburton, we gave them a contract and said "tell us what it costs you, and we'll add X%". That's called cost plus contracting and it is an invitation to steal.
Or are you saying we destroyed stuff solely to make money on the rebuilding?
Why we went to Iraq is more complicated than that. In my opinion, the convergence of three major influences drove us to war with Iraq after 9/11.
1: Big Oil: Their connection with this administration is painfully clear. The reason they want Iraq, obvious.
2: PNAC. They run the defense department, the VP is a charter member. PNAC is compromised of everything from the militant Pro-Israel lobby through the folks who just like to use cruise missiles before they reach their expiration date. Not blessed with an abundance of deep thinkers, they fell in the ditch on their first time out. Iraq has got nobody talking about finishing the PNAC scheduled "US army, Middle Eastern tour". Still, their incessant rumor mongering culminated in the President of the US standing up before the UN mouthing lies and half-truths as a pretext for war. A humiliating moment to be an American...
Today, Iraq continues to withhold important information about its nuclear program... It retains physical infrastructure needed to build a nuclear weapon.

Iraq didn't have a nuke program, the CIA told him that. It was a PNAC bozo in defense whispering in his ear (Doug Feithe).
3. Media: Nothing drives news ratings like gun sight footage. In their quest for viewers, they left the truth by the wayside. Rumor was reported as fact, suspicions were given weight far beyond their merit, every utterance of any minor player (as well as the major ones) was tossed in front of a news hungry public, whether it was fit for consumption or not.
As far as proof, I post it here every day, same as you. I have posted proof of all the prior statements, what I can't prove is GWBs' thought process, which leaves my theory for the reasons for war just a theory, on that much we agree.

No-Bid contracts are more lucrative than open bid contracts. Haliburton, Bectel, et al got the no bid contracts; these are for open bid contracts.

So since Halliburton received the most lucrative of contracts, that means the remaining bilions of dollars worth of contracts are not lucrative? Not very good logic.

Coalition of the willing? Try the bribed. The problem is that the stick is so big (the prospect of your young men and women dying in Iraq) and the carrot so small ($187 B split) that none of the major powers are likely to be interested. They will simply use the opportunity to paint us as a renegade imperial power bent on self-aggrandizement. We as a nation certainly are not but our president appears intent on portraying us as such. You are aware that they are gaining standing in the world community at our expense, aren't you?

Dude, get real. Their are bids daily for billions of dollars in contracts throughout the nation, and yes, there are plenty of companies that are excluded from bidding. Call it for whatever reason you like, but it's the company paying the funds that reserves the right to pay whoever they like.

And who gives a rats ass if the 'major powers' feel slighted or not, they certainly didn't look very powerful when they refused to help Iraq out of it's problems. They couldn't stop us from going to war. They can't get us to pull out. They can't stop us from excluding them from contracts. They just aren't as powerful as you'd like to think.

"Sure, we'll donate money to help Iraq in it's time of need"

a few short weeks later:

"What, we can't make billions of dollars out of this? Ok, we're going to keep our money then"

Sounds like "I'm taking my ball and going home" that I heard back in the 3rd grade.

Jimmy, there is no Iraq Government. There is Bremmer, the US Government Appointed Iraqi Governing Council and the US army. All power issues from Washington so couching your speech with phrases like"Iraq has already stated" is disingenuous.

Tell that to all of the other nations that recognize them as the Iraqi government. Why didn't they bar them from meetings claiming they were an illegitimate government? Your constant need to dig up dirt on the current administration only makes you look silly.

How much were the French/German contracts worth? Can you demonstrate a connection between the leadership of France and Germany to the corporations profiting?

I could, but I'm not going to scour the net looking for data that only you are interested in. Both countries had oil contracts with Iraq that they profited a quite a bit from. The loss of these contracts hurts future revenue. I don't really care a bit at all about the individual companies in France and Germany that made out.

Kind of funny that you can claim Halliburton was making so much cash from Iraq over the years, but the companies from France and Germany I guess were just offering their assistance for free.

Try this article: http://www.iht.com/articles/88888.html

I guess 3.5 billion dollars since the sanctions were eased is peanuts. 650 million of that was in 2001. Alcatel, Renault - how much do you think they stand to make in Post Saddam Iraq?

First, this guy works for Fox News as a political commentator. The only place this argument gets significant play is on Fox, precisely for the reasons I mentioned (no proof).

Seriously, have you even bothered to take the time to research the contracts that were held with Iraq? They were all legitimate contracts, but they will all be gone soon. Not seeing why they would want to keep peace with Saddam to retain this contracts makes me wonder if you have a problem with your eyesight.

Further, in this instance, the Russian company has a point. If you'd read their argument, they surveyed and developed a plan for the oilfields in question, they submitted an offer and that offer was accepted. Don't you think they should be able to profit from their efforts?

Most certainly. But things get a little hairy when them contracts become more important to you than the Iraqi people that were being killed by their leader - the very same leader that was paying you those contracts.

The US can refuse to honor the agreement, but we do so at our own peril. Expect Russia to retaliate in kind, or more likely, whip our ass some more up at the WTO. Screwing the Russians doesn’t help the Iraqi people, Jim, it helps GWBs' buddies who work for US Oil companies.

This is funny, every oil company is in the hands of GWB. And you wonder why liberals are the laughing stock of the world. I am so glad I'm not hung up on one individual like you are, it must really suck to wake up daily and think the worlds problems are the cause of one man. Well, like they say, sucks to be you!

Of course they pay taxes. We all pay taxes. We all don't get no-bid contracts from the government though. I use my political connections to get $61 Mil. Does the fact I pay taxes on it make it any less graft?

Contrary to your pathetic teachings in the other thread, Halliburton did not make money off the overcharging.

Other than that, I'll use your words: "Don't you think they should be able to profit from their efforts?" And I still say tough shit for the companies whining about Halliburton getting the job. They were clearly the most qualified, end of story.

That's why you bid out contracts, to insure you get a fair price for the work being done. We didn't do that with Haliburton, we gave them a contract and said "tell us what it costs you, and we'll add X%". That's called cost plus contracting and it is an invitation to steal.

This isn't a small downtown building being erected. This is oil infrastructure in Iraq that no one knew better than Halliburton. Paying less for less work that wuld take longer makes no sense.

I'm not replying to your "PNAC is running the world" conspiracy. You should run for King Liberal, you'd mostly likely get voted in with record numbers and they can crown you with a golden tinfoil hat. :laugh:

So since Halliburton received the most lucrative of contracts, that means the remaining bilions of dollars worth of contracts are not lucrative? Not very good logic.

Lucrative: In excess of normal profit margins. As for the logic, it is your statement. If it is wrong I'd correct it.
Dude...like.

Unresponsive to the quoted portion of the prior post that it purports to respond too. Also factualy incorrect, the US government is not a company and does not posses the same lattitude as a corporation in the awarding of contracts.
And who gives a rats ass if the 'major powers' feel slighted or not,

We will, next time we ask them for their help and they tell us no.
they certainly didn't look very powerful when they refused to help Iraq out of it's problems. They couldn't stop us from going to war. They can't get us to pull out. They can't stop us from excluding them from contracts. They just aren't as powerful as you'd like to think.

Contrary to the thoughts of Lennin, all power does not issue from the barrel of a gun. Take a look at the population and wealth of the EU, then take a look at the exchange rates between the currencies since our adventure in Iraq began. You might want to review recent events at the WTO while your at it, they have influenced american domestic policy in areas related to international trade. That strikes me as pretty powerful.
"Sure, we'll donate money to help Iraq in it's time of need"
a few short weeks later:
"What, we can't make billions of dollars out of this? Ok, we're going to keep our money then"
Sounds like "I'm taking my ball and going home" that I heard back in the 3rd grade.

If they can't participate in the rebuilding of Iraq, why should they contribute to it? The fact you find this noteworthy indicates you've allowed your partisanship to cloud you reasoning.[/quote][/b]
Tell that to all of the other nations that recognize them as the Iraqi government. Why didn't they bar them from meetings claiming they were an illegitimate government? Your constant need to dig up dirt on the current administration only makes you look silly.

The UN recognized our council as a governing body only on the condition that it create a schedule for free elections and stick to it. It is a placeholder, waiting the election of the real Iraqi government. The fact that you don't seem to understand that is baffeling.
I could, but I'm not going to scour the net looking for data

Then stop making your baseless claim.
Both countries had oil contracts with Iraq that they profited a quite a bit from. The loss of these contracts hurts future revenue. I don't really care a bit at all about the individual companies in France and Germany that made out.

Than how do you ever hope to prove that Chirac was personaly interested in maintaining the regime in Iraq? Additionaly, that wasn't even part of your argument. You stated it was Chiracs personal relationship with Saddam that made france oppose us, giving that claim up now in favor of the "national interests" of france dictating his actions. Here's news for you Jim. That's the mans job, protecting Frances national interests.
I guess 3.5 billion dollars since the sanctions were eased is peanuts.

From the CIA on the subject of Frances economy.
"GDP:purchasing power parity - $1.54 trillion (2002 est.) "
Yup, peanuts.
Not seeing why they would want to keep peace with Saddam to retain this contracts makes me wonder if you have a problem with your eyesight.

Ibid
":Exports:$307.8 billion f.o.b. (2002) "
Value of the Iraqi contracts in their peak year $0.65 Billion.
"Exports - partners:EU 61.3% (Germany 14.7%, UK 9.8%, Spain 9.6%, Italy 8.8%), US 8.7% (2001) "
If you can't prove a personal connection to Iraq on the part of Chirac, you need to drop this argument because you don't have a shred of evidence to back up this charge either.
Most certainly. But things get a little hairy when them contracts become more important to you than the Iraqi people that were being killed by their leader - the very same leader that was paying you those contracts.

We did business Saddam as well, so your point is moot.
This is funny, every oil company is in the hands of GWB.

:rolleyes:
And you wonder why liberals are the laughing stock of the world.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Whose more popular with the rest of the world, Clinton or Bush? The rest of the world isn't laughing at anybody in the US, btw. We have an extremist administration who is following an undeclared agenda. The only people laughing are the ones who don't see how dangerous that is.
I am so glad...sucks to be you!

:yawn:
Contrary to your pathetic teachings in the other thread, Halliburton did not make money off the overcharging.

I can take you to school, I can't make you learn. Do the math, the contract is for cost plus a percent. The paying double for the gas doubled the dollar amount halliburton recieved. If you can't dispute it (and you can't) let it drop.
And I still say tough shit for the companies whining about Halliburton getting the job. They were clearly the most qualified, end of story.

You have a link that supports that position, Haliburton is uniquely qualified. An unbiased industry analysis will do unless you are claiming a special knowledge of the oil development business.
This isn't a small downtown building being erected. This is oil infrastructure in Iraq that no one knew better than Halliburton. Paying less for less work that wuld take longer makes no sense.

and just giving the work to the V.Ps' company is so much easier. The only people who think Haliburton was "uniquley" qualified to do that work is Haliburton (and thier ex-employees).
I'm not replying to your "PNAC is running the world" conspiracy.

That's fortunate, since I don't have one. PNAC members fill leadership positions in the administration. You can't dispute that so you ridicule it. Tough, its' a fact.
You should run for King Liberal, you'd mostly likely get voted in with record numbers and they can crown you with a golden tinfoil hat. :laugh:
You wrote a long post in which you advanced your argument very little in my judgement. That said, at least you chose an approriate way to end your post.

Would someone do me a favor and post a link to the a copy of the acutual Halliburton contract, not an analysis of one.

why should we reward countrys that did not stand we us ? we asked them for help and they said no! the ball was in their court and they CHOOSE NOT TO RETURN IT. they were not in from the start and have been asked several times to help out. again NO was the answer. so no to them. you imply the dollars slide is because of Iraq.. give me a break from this crap... wiyhout upfront saying it, everything that is not to your liking in this country or world is the Potus fault. I am sure you have a agenda and as I stay here longer it becomes clearer. maybe the tin foil hat has baked your mind, but interesting story you post, most make believe but interesting. the US gov not a business.. does not posess tghe same latitude... last time I checked the USA ands its government could do pretty much what it wants when it wants... too bad we have to fallow the GC but our enemys dont have too. short work it would make.. WTO.... big deal... who needs who more them or us? let them eat their cheap shirts, nice cars ect.. if we dont buy it nobody will!!!! DUH the contracts being more important than the iraqi people. this is a no brainer... the countrys locked out of the first round of bids ...where were they when we went in to iraq? debating! the time for talk was over, years of warnings ignored. too hard for you to see?

Lucrative: In excess of normal profit margins. As for the logic, it is your statement. If it is wrong I'd correct it.

Drink some coffee before you post next time. Gaining contract worth billions of dollars Vs. No contract with a profit margin of Zero = you look stupid again! What is their profit margin thus far from rebuilding in Iraq?

Unresponsive to the quoted portion of the prior post that it purports to respond too. Also factualy incorrect, the US government is not a company and does not posses the same lattitude as a corporation in the awarding of contracts.

Well, looks like your wrong again, as usual. The USA DOES control the contracts and THEY ARE limiting who has the right to bid. All that's left is the whining from the bitches.

We will, next time we ask them for their help and they tell us no.

Then we'll do exactly as we did this time, go without their sorry asses.

Contrary to the thoughts of Lennin, all power does not issue from the barrel of a gun. Take a look at the population and wealth of the EU, then take a look at the exchange rates between the currencies since our adventure in Iraq began. You might want to review recent events at the WTO while your at it, they have influenced american domestic policy in areas related to international trade. That strikes me as pretty powerful.

Ummm, yeah, wealth leads to overall power. :rolleyes: Some of the smaller countries in the world are the richest, and have no impact whatsoever on the rest of the world. Luxembourg and Bermuda are 2 of the top 3 richest countries in the world. Sure, they're powerful alright! :rolleyes:

If they can't participate in the rebuilding of Iraq, why should they contribute to it? The fact you find this noteworthy indicates you've allowed your partisanship to cloud you reasoning.

So you're saying they only originally donated money to help the Iraqi people contingent on receiving it back in contracts? And you say you were involved in business? Please, for the love of God, stay as far away as possible from anything I might ever get involved in! :laugh:

The UN recognized our council as a governing body only on the condition that it create a schedule for free elections and stick to it. It is a placeholder, waiting the election of the real Iraqi government. The fact that you don't seem to understand that is baffeling.

That's written somewhere? That they are not in fact the recognized governement, that they are just there solely for creating schedules? Please link me to this contract. Loosen the tinfoil, boy!

Then stop making your baseless claim.

Hey, just because your too stupid to search and read what money is/was being gained from contracts with Saddam doesn't mean they are baseless - it just means you are dense.

Than how do you ever hope to prove that Chirac was personaly interested in maintaining the regime in Iraq? Additionaly, that wasn't even part of your argument. You stated it was Chiracs personal relationship with Saddam that made france oppose us, giving that claim up now in favor of the "national interests" of france dictating his actions. Here's news for you Jim. That's the mans job, protecting Frances national interests.

Again, you have no clue whatsoever what you're responding to! Show me where I stated it was "Chirac's personal relationship with Saddam". I stated CLEARLY that it was the contracts that France had with Saddam that made them want to avoid war. You attributing statements to me that I never made are getting tiresome, and really make you look stupid.

From the CIA on the subject of Frances economy.
"GDP:purchasing power parity - $1.54 trillion (2002 est.) "
Yup, peanuts.

And the billions they made is still a lot of money. Nice attempt at another retarded spin though! :laugh:

You don't need to make 75% of someone's purchasing power in order to profit.

":Exports:$307.8 billion f.o.b. (2002) "
Value of the Iraqi contracts in their peak year $0.65 Billion.
"Exports - partners:EU 61.3% (Germany 14.7%, UK 9.8%, Spain 9.6%, Italy 8.8%), US 8.7% (2001) "
If you can't prove a personal connection to Iraq on the part of Chirac, you need to drop this argument because you don't have a shred of evidence to back up this charge either.

Again, dopey, I never said "Chirac personally has contracts", and I gave clear proof that France was making money from Iraq. Was reading that article too much for you to handle? I'll try to keep it in less than a paragraph next time for you. In laymans terms, I'll dumb down for you.

We did business Saddam as well, so your point is moot.

Point is moot? That's exactly the point, dopey! LOL We didn't let money from contracts with Saddam get in our way and cloud our judgement like it did to others. Have you not been following along?

Whose more popular with the rest of the world, Clinton or Bush? The rest of the world isn't laughing at anybody in the US, btw. We have an extremist administration who is following an undeclared agenda. The only people laughing are the ones who don't see how dangerous that is.

And the point remains, liberals are the laughing stock of the world. You guys and your tinfoil hat conspiracies crack me up! You claim earlier that you don't go for smoke, you only believe things when there is fire. All of your arguments are based on smoke and ashes. Clinton popular? You've gotta be kidding me! His lasting legacy is going to be getting a blow job on taxpayers money! The only thing worse than a goofy liberal is one that is so wound up in the bullshit he spouts that he thinks it's reality.

Like I said, drink coffee first next time, unless you really are here just for comedic relief.

I can take you to school, I can't make you learn. Do the math, the contract is for cost plus a percent. The paying double for the gas doubled the dollar amount halliburton recieved. If you can't dispute it (and you can't) let it drop.

You took me to school alright, too bad I learned the basics of kindergarten 32 years ago. Now, remember, you only talk about fire - not smoke. Show us the data sheets that outline the profit Halliburton made from this overcharging.

You have a link that supports that position, Haliburton is uniquely qualified. An unbiased industry analysis will do unless you are claiming a special knowledge of the oil development business.

I don't need an industry analysis to see that they were uniquely qualified. They've been working with the infrastructure in Iraq since 1990. Hell, they sold them a lot of the very equipment they would be working on! What other country knows as much about the Iraqi oil infrastructure and could get the job done in a more efficient manner?

and just giving the work to the V.Ps' company is so much easier. The only people who think Haliburton was "uniquley" qualified to do that work is Haliburton (and thier ex-employees).

Oh really? When were the contracts given to Halliburton? On what date did Cheney resign? Are we going to hear more about smokey rooms now and how Cheney stands to gain in his retirement from these contracts? LOL I certainly wouldn't consider you to be any type of authority on Halliburton! Hell, you couldn't even spell the name of the company correctly for 3 days straight now.

Here's a quote from an unbiased analyst:

"Certainly Halliburton would have the lead [in the competition for that job], even absent this contract, given the size and scope of their current operations," said Pierre Conner, an analyst with Hibernia Southcoast Capital. "But there's no question they'll start with some footprint there. It clearly puts them in the position where they will know more about the situation and have a bit of an operation there."
http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/25/news/companies/war_contracts/

That's fortunate, since I don't have one. PNAC members fill leadership positions in the administration. You can't dispute that so you ridicule it. Tough, its' a fact.

You can call all your conspiracies fact from today on, that doesn't make your assertions any less laughable. "Ooooo, Dr. Evil and his cohorts belong to a secret club for members only. I must use my magic decoder ring to infiltrate and show the world my tinfoil hat hasn't lost it's powers!" Sorry, dopey, not tough for me. It would be tough if I had thought it had an impact stronger than a rat taking a shit. Only you and your loony liberal buddies think this has any type of impact.

You wrote a long post in which you advanced your argument very little in my judgement. That said, at least you chose an approriate way to end your post.

For 2 days replying to your posts I can't stop imagining Mel Gibson in 'Conspiracy Theory'. I don't have a claim here, so whether you listen to my arguments or not is inconsequential to me. I do know that your sorry ass liberal buddies are cringing across the world at your laughable twisting of facts.

"IF YOU'RE NOT GREEDY YOU WILL GO FAR
YOU WILL LIVE IN HAPPINESS TOO
LIKE THE OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DO
DOOMPADEE DOO"

Tune in at 8pm tonight for Willy Wonka, I believe it's on TNT. You'll feel at home with other misfits that haven't a clue as to reality outside their chocolate factory. :laugh: :laugh:

Drink some coffee before you post next time. Gaining contract worth billions of dollars Vs. No contract with a profit margin of Zero = you look stupid again! What is their profit margin thus far from rebuilding in Iraq?

Amusing, this is from your own article, please read it carefully.
"The Army Corps of Engineers told CNN Tuesday that Halliburton would be paid on a "cost plus" basis, meaning it would be reimbursed for the costs of its work and would get a certain percentage of those costs as a fee. "
Higher cost, higher fee. That's what "percentage" means. Double cost = double fee. You and your friends in the brain trust got that one figured out now?
Well, looks like your wrong again, as usual. The USA DOES control the contracts and THEY ARE limiting who has the right to bid. All that's left is the whining from the bitches.

Oh, we'll award the contracts as the administration sees fit, and suffer for our childishness as a result.
Then we'll do exactly as we did this time, go without their sorry asses.

Which will eventually be our undoing.
Ummm, yeah, wealth leads to overall power. :rolleyes:...Some of the smaller countries in the world are the richest, and have no impact whatsoever on the rest of the world. Luxembourg and Bermuda are 2 of the top 3 richest countries in the world. Sure, they're powerful alright! :rolleyes:
Wealth of the country = GDP. Not per capita income, that would be the wealth of the citizens. Compare the GDP of Luxemborg and Germany. Now understand why your prior comment was nothing more than ill informed obfuscation.
Are you really that ignorant of economics or are you playing stupid so you can stay in the game? It wont matter to your "fuzzy math" friends, they have no idea of what we're talking about anyway.
So you're saying they only originally donated money to help the Iraqi people contingent on receiving it back in contracts? And you say you were involved in business? Please, for the love of God, stay as far away as possible from anything I might ever get involved in! :laugh:

Don't worry Jimmy, I gave up husteling rubes when I was 17. Were they asked to contribute money to a project thier businesses were excluded from? Why yes, yes they were, but they weren't told that until after they pledges had been recieved. The Administration certainly wasn't talking about limiting opportunity to contract this project back at the donors conference, were they?
That's written somewhere? That they are not in fact the recognized governement, that they are just there solely for creating schedules? Please link me to this contract. Loosen the tinfoil, boy!

Wassa matta Jumior, you forget how to google?
Try UNSCR 1511 the SCR that acknowledges
The Security Council this morning, acting unanimously, called on the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq to return governing authority to the people of that country “as soon as practicable”, and invited the Iraqi Governing Council to provide a timetable, by 15 December 2003, for drafting a new constitution and holding democratic elections.

Hey, just because your too stupid to search and read what money is/was being gained from contracts with Saddam doesn't mean they are baseless - it just means you are dense.

You make the claim, Junior, you get the data. Unless you want to change the rules.

I stated CLEARLY that it was the contracts that France had with Saddam that made them want to avoid war.

And I showed you those contacts don't amount to a hill of beans to the french financialy. Maybe you should just admit that France gave us their best advice about attacking Iraq and we chose to to ignore it.
And the billions they made is still a lot of money. Nice attempt at another retarded spin though! :laugh:

Practice your math skills, Jim. The Iraqi contgracts don't even qualify as 1% of French exports. Your now back to arguing the France decided to oppose the US for the "peanuts" (your word) they represented.
Again, dopey, I never said "Chirac personally has contracts", and I gave clear proof that France was making money from Iraq. Was reading that article too much for you to handle? I'll try to keep it in less than a paragraph next time for you. In laymans terms, I'll dumb down for you.

Read the response. Your insults are boring, especially since I find myself explaining GDP vs. Per Capita income to you. Stay out of the economic argument, at least until you figure out what all the numbers mean.
Point is moot? That's exactly the point, dopey! LOL We didn't let money from contracts with Saddam get in our way and cloud our judgement like it did to others. Have you not been following along?

Your were arguing that the Russians didn't care about Husseins humanitarian offenses, didn't care about the people of Iraq. I pointed out the point is moot. now you come back with "that's the point". The fact that you have no point is the point? I've agreed with that since I told you I was taking you to school. You have no point, no facts, no analysis, just the pap you hear from the lunatic right. Talk about tin foil hats Jimmy, you need to strip off a layer of tin foil on yours, let a little reality in.
A company that recieved a "cost plus" contract allowed themselves to be overcharged. You can argue that Haliburton doens't know the price of gas in Baghdad, I'd even like you to do that so I can bat you around a little more (I'm getting tired of your insults). If you accept they know they were overcharged, they then must understand this pads their profit margins, and I've repeatedly explained to you why. The only theory I put forward is what Haliburton got in exchange for making Uncle Sam pay double for its' gas. Please come back and say they got nothing, I'm enjoying tearing you apart while you run in circles whining about tin hats and Willy Wonka. Like I said, I find the constant insults offensive.
And the point remains, liberals are the laughing stock of the world.

Just your world, Jim. The world of Tin Hats and willie wonka....
You guys and your tinfoil hat conspiracies crack me up! You claim earlier that you don't go for smoke, you only believe things when there is fire. All of your arguments are based on smoke and ashes. Clinton popular? You've gotta be kidding me!

The question was who was more popular with the rest of the world and it was prompted by your innane insistance the "liberals" are the laughing stock of the world. What you think about Clinton is not important, does the rest of the world laugh at him? The answer to that question is a resounding no.
The only thing worse than a goofy liberal is one that is so wound up in the bullshit he spouts that he thinks it's reality.

Chatter all you like, Junior, I used math to demonstrate the Haliburton argument and the Chirac/France riff. Unless you can dispute the numbers, and you can't, you need to shut up about it. They did what they did and some of you can't hack it, thus we get more of the ridiculious "tin foil hat" argument.
The only part of my statement that is theory is what they are getting back from their supplyers in return for paying double now. Unless you'd like to argue that Haliburton was unaware of the price of Gasoline in Iraq when they made the agreement.
You took me to school alright, too bad I learned the basics of kindergarten 32 years ago. Now, remember, you only talk about fire - not smoke. Show us the data sheets that outline the profit Halliburton made from this overcharging.

Hey, you posted the proof. It is in the article you reff;d :laugh:
""The Army Corps of Engineers told CNN Tuesday that Halliburton would be paid on a "cost plus" basis, meaning it would be reimbursed for the costs of its work and would get a certain percentage of those costs as a fee. "
I don't need an industry analysis to see that they were uniquely qualified...
Here's a quote from an unbiased analyst:
"Certainly Halliburton would have the lead [in the competition for that job], even absent this contract, given the size and scope of their current operations," said Pierre Conner, an analyst with Hibernia Southcoast Capital. "But there's no question they'll start with some footprint there. It clearly puts them in the position where they will know more about the situation and have a bit of an operation there."

Nothing you went on to mention is unique to Haliburton. Even the article you reff'd states the primary advantage Haliburton has on subsequent contracts is the fact that they are allready there do to the No-Bid contract they were given.
The man is talking about the contracts to rebuild and operate oil infrastructure of Iraq. He sais they are a big company and the fact they are allready operating in the area gives them an advantage. He does not say they are uniquely qualified.
You can call all your conspiracies fact from today on, that doesn't make your assertions any less laughable.

If your done with your third grade comedy routine, maybe you can spend a little time learning fractions. If you had better math skills we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
For 2 days replying to your posts I can't stop imagining Mel Gibson in 'Conspiracy Theory'.

Is that why you haven't addressed the basic questions I'm asking, too busy watching a movie over and over?
In the last two days, I've demonstrated to you, using math, that Haliburton bilked the US by overpaying for oil and the France has no real economic interest in Iraq when compared to their economic interests in the US, so claiming they oppose us for selfish reasons is a little silly. All that time you've been sitting behind your keyboard, thinking of a movie while you type out this drivel? No wonder your arguments are so inconsistent and you seem incapable of understanding simple math. Next time I take you to school, pay attention.

It wont matter to your "fuzzy math" friends, they have no idea of what we're talking about anyway.

Give me a break, you sit here everyday, pulling bits and pieces from internet sites, quickly trying to educate yourself, so as to sound authoritative. Then you try and put people down, does this somehow make up for your inadequacies, sure looks like it from here. Think about it champ!

Maybe you should just admit that France gave us their best advice about attacking Iraq and we chose to to ignore it
WHOA!!!!!!!!!! France knows how to do that? Could that be why we ignored it?

Originally posted by Johnney
WHOA!!!!!!!!!! France knows how to do that? Could that be why we ignored it?
Like all countrys, France acts out of self-interest. Their interests in the politics of the ME are not identical to ours, but they did warn us that there would be significant destablization of the ME in general and Iraq in particular if we invaded. They were more interested in maintaining the existing stablity. At $189Billion and counting, not to mention the lives lost, it appears thier advice shouldn't have been discounted simply because it came from France.

Like all countrys, France acts out of self-interest

You find it ok for them, but not for us?

Their interests in the politics of the ME are not identical to ours

Of course not ! They want to keep selling weapons and nuclear technology.

there would be significant destablization of the ME in general and Iraq in particular if we invaded

I have yet to see this significant destablization of the ME you are speaking of. As far as Iraq, of course there will be a period of destablization, did you expect anything else ?

At $189Billion and counting, not to mention the lives lost, it appears thier advice shouldn't have been discounted simply because it came from France.

Not because it came from France, but because it was bad advise. Rest assured we will see a return on our investment.

they were only worried about their interests[money] in the ME and Iraq. knowing that when saddam fell they would lose billions in unpaid bills,past, and untold $$$ in the future. maybe they should of just talked their goodbuddy into a long trip somewhere. sure would have saved a bunch of lives and $$$ not to mention france and germanys respect

Originally posted by eric
Give me a break, you sit here everyday, pulling bits and pieces from internet sites, quickly trying to educate yourself, so as to sound authoritative. Then you try and put people down, does this somehow make up for your inadequacies, sure looks like it from here. Think about it champ!
Are you following the argument, Eric? I know you understand cost plus contracting, why don't you straighten them out? You also know the difference between GDP and per Capita income, and which is applicable in questions related to international trade. You choose not to, leaving it to me to "educate" some of these folks on the arguments they are making.
I don't scamper around the internet collecting theories. What I will go get from the internet is the data to back up my claims. I choose to pull the debates into areas I'm allready familiar with and I do that because when I was 15 a jesuit priest taught me "debate" as a course in high school.
Economics is just the history of Macro-Accounting, what we're talking about here is elemental economics. I knew this stuff before I found this site. PNAC, I got suspicious about them when I started to wonder whatever happened to the Iran/Contra conspirators. Intelligence analysis? I was in the active army 10 years, that's what I did (05Gulf). The stuff that comes out in the public is trickier to asses than what you get from monitoring our armys own communications but the same principles apply.
As for my inadequiecies, I have them same as anyone else. I don't know squat about sports, art, etc., I cant spell worth a damn. If a movie doesn't have nudity or violence, I can't sit there long enough to watch it. I'm 42 years old and only recently found computer games to be entertaining in any way. There are more, but those are ones that come to mind on a Sunday morning...
If you were offended by the "fuzzy math" reference, I apologize to you. The math, however, was not fuzzy (and to your credit I think you posted something to support that) and in light of the escelating personal attacks over my ability to multiply with fractions, I thought a countershot was warranted.

Forum List

Back