Fourth of July

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
What are you guys making for the 4th or are you just going someplace that has a bunch of food trucks?

What are you guys making for the 4th or are you just going someplace that has a bunch of food trucks?

Haven't thought about it yet. The wife and I are "spur of the moment" people.

Haven't thought about it yet. The wife and I are "spur of the moment" people.
My game plan incorporates fried okra, staying out of the 100 degree temperatures and 4 beers. There are only so many more nights to watch fireflies.

My game plan incorporates fried okra, staying out of the 100 degree temperatures and 4 beers. There are only so many more nights to watch fireflies.

I'd kick a puppy for some fried okra. Haven't had any of that stuff since I moved up to this God-forsaken frozen Wisconsin wasteland, 15 years ago.

Can you put some in a box and mail it to me? We don't have a regular postman, but they could deliver it by way of dog sled.

I'd kick a puppy for some fried okra. Haven't had any of that stuff since I moved up to this God-forsaken frozen Wisconsin wasteland, 15 years ago.

Can you put some in a box and mail it to me? We don't have a regular postman, but they could deliver it by way of dog sled.
Dog sled? Holy crap.

I could do it.

Dog sled? Holy crap.

I could do it.

It was a joke. Okra doesn't grow that well up here. I used to eat it a lot when I lived in Texas and Arkansas: dusted with corn meal, flour, salt, and pepper, and fried to a crispy light brown in some hot oil. Then I'd sprinkle some vinegar from a jar of pickled cayenne peppers on it. That's good eatin' there.

It was a joke. Okra doesn't grow that well up here. I used to eat it a lot when I lived in Texas and Arkansas: dusted with corn meal, flour, salt, and pepper, and fried to a crispy light brown in some hot oil. Then I'd sprinkle some vinegar from a jar of pickled cayenne peppers on it. That's good eatin' there.
Okra is probably one of those items that I could not live without. I tried to make it once. I failed. I'm highly dependent on some of these restaurants. Can you share the recipe or do you just not measure it?

Okra is probably one of those items that I could not live without. I tried to make it once. I failed. I'm highly dependent on some of these restaurants. Can you share the recipe or do you just not measure it?

There's no recipe, just equal amounts of flour and corn and salt and pepper to taste, maybe wet the sliced okra in milk or water, throw it in with the flour and corn meal, shake it around, dump it in a colander, then throw it in the hot oil.

I have a pork shoulder in the oven. It should be tender in another couple hours.
The best carnitas in the world are made with pork shoulder... it isn't even close.

Making pork and potato empanadas.

Was joking with my wife I am not being very patriotic, I am listening to Van Morrison, making empanadas and drinking a mojito.

The best carnitas in the world are made with pork shoulder... it isn't even close.

Amen to that. Cooked one yesterday. Slow in the Dutch oven with orange quarters, onion, garlic and the appropriate spices.

Today it is becoming pork and potato empanadas.

Sounds like an awesome afternoon.
Van Morrison is a master.

He truly is, and sadly it was only in the last 5 or so years I have really gotten into his music. So many years of missing such good music.!

Most of the empanadas went with my wife to work so the folks working at the VA on the holiday could have some good food.

He truly is, and sadly it was only in the last 5 or so years I have really gotten into his music. So many years of missing such good music.!

Most of the empanadas went with my wife to work so the folks working at the VA on the holiday could have some good food.
Somewhere here I made a thread about the awesomeness of cheap cuts, and if you follow simple ways of preparing them, they can be better than the "best" cuts.
Pork shoulder is dirt cheap, comparatively. But when cooked properly - is damn near as tasty as bacon.

Forum List

Back