Four simple questions gay marriage supporters can't answer

Qball

Corner Pocket
Oct 8, 2009
Atlanta, GA
As bad as it is, many states have legalized SSM due to court decision. A lot of people claim to support same-sex marriage because it's a matter of civil rights...allegedly. I remain unconvinced. I have four questions that I want same-sex marriage supporters to answer to convince me. Just four simple, easy questions:

1. In a state that does not recognize same-sex marriage, could two heterosexual men or two heterosexual women obtain a marriage license as spouses?

2. In a state that does not recognize same-sex marriage, could a homosexual man and a homosexual woman obtain a marriage license as spouses?

3. Name a protection granted to persons based on their status of being legally married.

4. If you believe it is a civil right, is it strange to have some states legalize same-sex marriage through a legislative vote and others legalize it through the judicial process? Why or why not?

Bonus question: which amendment(s) guarantee a right to same-sex marriage? Explain your answer.

As bad as it is, many states have legalized SSM due to court decision. A lot of people claim to support same-sex marriage because it's a matter of civil rights...allegedly. I remain unconvinced. I have four questions that I want same-sex marriage supporters to answer to convince me. Just four simple, easy questions:

1. In a state that does not recognize same-sex marriage, could two heterosexual men or two heterosexual women obtain a marriage license as spouses?

2. In a state that does not recognize same-sex marriage, could a homosexual man and a homosexual woman obtain a marriage license as spouses?

3. Name a protection granted to persons based on their status of being legally married.

4. If you believe it is a civil right, is it strange to have some states legalize same-sex marriage through a legislative vote and others legalize it through the judicial process? Why or why not?

Bonus question: which amendment(s) guarantee a right to same-sex marriage? Explain your answer.

1. Yes (no one asks to see you consumate things. 'Marriages of convenience' used to be very popular when homosexuality was illegal.)

2. Yes (see above)

3. Hospital visitation right.

4. Marriage is a civil contract. Wouldn't say getting married is a right. It's just a legal contract as far as the government is concerned.

14th Amendment. If the government can define what a marriage is (insofar as it, the government is concerned, and what rights and benefits it'll grant because you get married) then it must make marriage available to everyone. Not just men-women.

If you want to say the pledge or read the declaration of Independance, you have to read words like equality, liberty and freedom.....How can everybody be free to live their life happily if they are restricted, because of religious overtones, overtones that deafen the ears to the inequality shared in the USA...

Where, does our Constitution say say "except gays"?

1. No, because, as you stated, that state does not recognize same-sex marriage.
2. Yes, and probably have in the past.
3. Overview of Federal Benefits Granted to Married Couples Resources Human Rights Campaign (and these are only Federal rights...each state would have more)
4. It's not a question of adding, it's a question of subtracting....getting rid of laws PREVENTING it.

It is screwing with a tradition that goes back thousands of years. The family is the building bloc of society.

What tradition is that? The tradition of two people who love each other wanting to make a commitment to one another for life? Tell ya what, you won't to deny other human beings the right to make a commitment to their love the way heterosexuals make a commitment to theirs, fine. Then make divorce illegal.

That people like you and the OP feel so threatened by this issue is remarkable. You do understand that no one will force you into a same sex marriage, right?

And before you go off, I am not a liberal. I am just not so conservative that my brain has shrunk.

It is screwing with a tradition that goes back thousands of years. The family is the building bloc of society.

What tradition is that? The tradition of two people who love each other wanting to make a commitment to one another for life? Tell ya what, you won't to deny other human beings the right to make a commitment to their love the way heterosexuals make a commitment to theirs, fine. Then make divorce illegal.

That people like you and the OP feel so threatened by this issue is remarkable. You do understand that no one will force you into a same sex marriage, right?

And before you go off, I am not a liberal. I am just not so conservative that my brain has shrunk.

Thank you for posting this. One does not have to be gay or liberal to believe in equality.

Matthew

This is not a "tradition that goes back thousands of years". As it exists now, marriage isn't even hundreds of years old. Even if it were, that's hardly a reason to deny equal rights to any consenting adults who want to marry.

Marriage has changed many times through history and will change many more times.

traditional-marriage-includes-1691-whites-only-1724-blacks-with-permission-of-slave-owner-1769-the-wife-is-property-1899-pol_zpsd97dd227.jpg

3. Overview of Federal Benefits Granted to Married Couples Resources Human Rights Campaign (and these are only Federal rights...each state would have more)
4. It's not a question of adding, it's a question of subtracting....getting rid of laws PREVENTING it.

So based on your answers to #1 and 2, it's safe to say a state not allowing same-sex marriage isn't actually discriminating on the basis of sex or sexual orientation. Homosexuals are not banned from marrying in the way allowed under the law, and heterosexuals are not allowed to marry in a way proscribed by the law.

Please don't throw a link at me and say "it's in there". Name one protection granted to persons based on their status of being legally married. If you have a link, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I used neither the term "adding" or "subtracting". I said "legalizing" because that's what has happened either by the courts or legislature in most states.

So based on your answers to #1 and 2, it's safe to say a state not allowing same-sex marriage isn't actually discriminating on the basis of sex or sexual orientation. Homosexuals are not banned from marrying in the way allowed under the law, and heterosexuals are not allowed to marry in a way proscribed by the law.

Please don't throw a link at me and say "it's in there". Name one protection granted to persons based on their status of being legally married. If you have a link, it shouldn't be that difficult.

I used neither the term "adding" or "subtracting". I said "legalizing" because that's what has happened either by the courts or legislature in most states.

I've been arguing this for a long time, the way it's assumed that same sex marriage and "gay" marriage are the same. "I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry" was a parody on two straight guys pretending to be gay and in a same sex union. It's a giant hole in the argument that banning same sex marriage is discriminating against gay people.

"Four simple questions gay marriage supporters can't answer"

There is no such thing a 'gay marriage,' there is only one marriage law in each of the 50 states that can accommodate either same- or opposite-sex couples.

“As bad as it is, many states have legalized SSM due to court decision. A lot of people claim to support same-sex marriage because it's a matter of civil rights...allegedly. I remain unconvinced.”

Incorrect.

Same-sex couples have always been eligible to enter into marriage contracts, the issue concerns the states seeking to deny same-sex couples access to marriage law in violation of the 14th Amendment.

Moreover, that this is a civil rights issue is beyond dispute, and your remaining 'unconvinced' is a consequence of your ignorance of the issue and the law, as you've demonstrated with your 'questions.'

I've been arguing this for a long time, the way it's assumed that same sex marriage and "gay" marriage are the same. "I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry" was a parody on two straight guys pretending to be gay and in a same sex union. It's a giant hole in the argument that banning same sex marriage is discriminating against gay people.

saintmichaeldefendthem

That's pretty funny but even if your outlandish "logic" made sense, it doesn't matter.

If you are consenting adults, do you believe I should have a say in who you can marry and for what reasons?

Forum List

Back