Founding Era USMB Book Club

If the book(s) of the month happen to be ones you have read before, you get to read them again. :lol: That is only fair seeing how the bookmark will be on someone else's book the next go round. Hopefully, we won't run into that too much. Sometimes, it can't be avoided.

If you would be interested in learning more about our founding history and discussing it with fellow members, please post in the thread.

The goal is for the members to read one book a month, and then discuss it / rate the book as to manner of presentation, accuracy, and importance.

Can you just post video sound bites? I'm not sure I have the attention spa... did you watch the game last night?! Was that one hell of a catch or what!! I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost. BGG, what were we talking about again?

If you would be interested in learning more about our founding history and discussing it with fellow members, please post in the thread.

The goal is for the members to read one book a month, and then discuss it / rate the book as to manner of presentation, accuracy, and importance.

Can you just post video sound bites? I'm not sure I have the attention spa... did you watch the game last night?! Was that one hell of a catch or what!! I can't wait to see the next episode of Lost. BGG, what were we talking about again?

You might have trouble with the book club Ringel. :lol: We can work on posting cliff notes once we get done with a book.

You might have trouble with the book club Ringel. :lol: We can work on posting cliff notes once we get done with a book.

What? You want me to jump off a cliff for notes on a book??!!

There are two books up right now for consideration. If anyone else has suggestions for the Seven Years War, please post the book(s). I would like for us to decide on this months book(s) by Thursday evening.

In my opinion, the definitive book on the Seven Years War is "Crucible of War" by Fred Anderson. You can find used paperback copies cheap.

Amazon.com: Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766 (9780375706363): Fred Anderson: Books

If anyone has other suggestions for a Seven Years War book, feel free to speak up.

I've not read either of the books you've mentioned here, but this one has some good reviews (and isn't that expensive):

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Years-War-Essential-Histories/dp/1841761915/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257737393&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: The Seven Years' War (Essential Histories) (9781841761916): Daniel Marston: Books[/ame]

Daniel Marston's SEVEN YEARS' WAR is a well-researched scholarly account of that conflict. Marston tackles a broad and complicated subject in an comprehensible manner, producing an excellent introduction for any person unfamiliar with the Seven Years' War.
The account is split into several sections, addressing the causes of the conflict, the warring sides, the fighting, and the conclusion of the war. The fighting section deals with all of the various fronts of the war: North America, India, and Europe. Marston highlights the important battles and also focuses on important tactical innovations.

One of the greatest attractions to this book is Marston's in-depth and accurate research. Most books that are readable do not contain this level of scholarly investigation. In particular, on the conflict in North America, better known as the French and Indian Wars in the United States, Marston presents an account firmly backed up by rigorous archival research. Thus, this book represents a very readable yet academic introduction to the Seven Years' War.

Even the lowest rated review recommends the book:

All in all, Daniel Marston does a fine job in summarizing this conflict. Most students in America learn about the French & Indian War. Few students realize that this war was really just one theater of operations in the larger Seven Years War. In this book, Marston provides a good overview of this other war. This is no small feat as the war encompassed four major theaters and lasted for nearly a decade.

As with all Osprey books, the chapters are broken down into the familiar sections of background, fighting, chronology, and the various portraits of civilians and soldiers. "The fighting" chapter is first broken down by year. Within each year, the author further breaks down the fighting by geographic theater, North America, Western Europe, Central Europe, and the Indian subcontinent. Clear geographic maps are located in the early part of the book. As the reader goes through each year, they are taken to three different continents. Remembering where a certain battle took place in relation to a previous engagement can be confusing. By referencing these geographic maps, the reader is able to keep up with the author. Of course, the fact that the reader even needs to keep up with the author is a bit of a negative.

Clear maps that show the disposition and movement of the opposing forces accompany some battles. For example, the maps of the Battle of Minden and the First Battle of the Plains of Abraham are in color and provide excellent detail. Unfortunately, the author used antique maps to support other battles. The maps of the Battles of Kunersdorf and Zorndorf are practically worthless from an information point of view. They are a nice addition as a form of art but provide no useful data on the battle itself. In some cases, the reader is unable to even see the map's legend.

The chapter on "The World Around War" provides fascinating information on the economic aspects of this conflict. Mr. Marston does an excellent job of illustrating how each country financed its war effort and the ramifications of those decisions. Finally, the author leaves the reader with a few gems in the last chapter. Most people learn that a major cause of the American Revolution was the issue of taxation. Here, the author shows how the seeds of discontent were sown well before taxation became an issue. He briefly mentions the Quebec Act of 1774 which gave certain rights to French Canadians based on their catholic religion. England also gave them administrative rights over the new lands in the Ohio Valley; a move that incensed the thirteen colonies.

Bottom Line: This book is a pretty good summary of what was clearly a world war. Some of the maps are weak and the constant change between theaters of operations can be confusing. Nevertheless, Mr. Marston should be given credit for covering such an expansive war as well as he does. All things considered, the book is well worth the time spent reading it.

Read Slavery 1619 to 1863 I believe, somewhat boring but lots of facts. I will try to find my copy and get the author's name.

Very good Luissa. :) Will you be joining the bookworm club? :cool:

maybe!:razz:
Love early american history, took a great american history class last quarter that started with native american history and ended with the civil war/ recontruction.
I know it is not American History but spring quarter I had to write a paper on Sun Yat Sen, if you love history you should read his biography. Taking Japanese history this Spring, thinking about being a history major not sure though.

I am looking for Emma and Terry to make their way into the thread. Ladies? :)

I'm here! Any excuse to buy another book :lol:

About time you made it. :razz:

As to your suggestion, I am willing, if others want to read it as well. The hardcover edition for me will be pricey.

There are a lot of excellent books on the subject, each filling a specific niche.

I am looking for Emma and Terry to make their way into the thread. Ladies? :)

I'm here! Any excuse to buy another book :lol:

About time you made it. :razz:

As to your suggestion, I am willing, if others want to read it as well. The hardcover edition for me will be pricey.

There are a lot of excellent books on the subject, each filling a specific niche.

I'll admit, I'm not well-versed on the subject at hand (this war). Not sure I can attest to a books' accuracy, but more to how well it details the subject, readability, etc. The one thing that is appealing about the book I linked to is that (according to the reviews) the author doesn't focus solely on the NA theatre of the war. Or were you looking for a book that did just that?

Read Slavery 1619 to 1863 I believe, somewhat boring but lots of facts. I will try to find my copy and get the author's name.

Very good Luissa. :) Will you be joining the bookworm club? :cool:

maybe!:razz:
Love early american history, took a great american history class last quarter that started with native american history and ended with the civil war/ recontruction.
I know it is not American History but spring quarter I had to write a paper on Sun Yat Sen, if you love history you should read his biography. Taking Japanese history this Spring, thinking about being a history major not sure though.

History rocks. :) I dig ladies who are history bookworms. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle: I will check his biography out. I have a lot of books in line already.

Once we get rolling, it is going to be fab. I am like Emma. Any excuse to buy a book. :lol: I bought 7 this weekend. That is in addition to the numerous books I just got in.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wolfe-Quebec-Man-French-Indian/dp/0815410166/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added]Amazon.com: Wolfe at Quebec: The Man Who Won the French and Indian War (9780815410164): Christopher Hibbert: Books[/ame]

That is another good book.

I'd probably go with one of these
15 new from $5.00 16 used from $4.69

:)

If your book gets picked, I will probably have to get the paperback, and see about upgrading later on to hardback. I only have 3 or 4 paperbacks in my library left to upgrade. I am on a roll. :cool:

so what books are we on? I have a great used book store here I go to and it has a great selection plus I have something like 150 dollars worth of credit still. :)

Last edited:

15 new from $5.00 16 used from $4.69

If your book gets picked, I will probably have to get the paperback, and see about upgrading later on to hardback. I only have 3 or 4 paperbacks in my library left to upgrade. I am on a roll. :cool:

Well, are you wanting the focus to be on the war in North America? Because from the reviews it appears the one I posted goes beyond that.

so what books are we on? I have a great used book store here I go to and it has a great selectiom plus I have something like 150 dollars worth of credit still. :)

The first subject to discuss, is The Seven Years War. I have made a few suggestions for books for us to read and discuss, and Emma just made one. Feel free to make a suggestion for a book on the subject etc.

Well, are you wanting the focus to be on the war in North America? Because from the reviews it appears the one I posted goes beyond that.

It is not necessary with The Seven Years War. The war itself plays an integral part in our founding history, in my opinion. The war is a good primer and foundation for our founding history.

It is not necessary with The Seven Years War. The war itself plays an integral part in our founding history, in my opinion. The war is a good primer and foundation for our founding history.

Well I think it would be good to get one that describes all theatre of the war, beyond just what happened here. That would provide a deeper understanding of the history of our founding. JMO.

White Devil: A True Story Of War, Savagery, And Vengeance In Colonial America is another excellent book.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/White-Devil-Savagery-Vengeance-Colonial/dp/0306814730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257739146&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery And Vengeance in Colonial America (9780306814730): Stephen Brumwell: Books[/ame]

Forum List

Back