Forner Defense Sec Gates defends Obama on Crimea

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
Bush's Defense Secretary Destroys GOP Talking Points Against Obama's Handling Of Crimea | ThinkProgress

“My own view is, after all, Putin invaded Georgia when George W. Bush was president. Nobody ever accused George W. Bush of being weak or unwilling to use military force,” Gates, who served as Defense Secretary for Presidents George W. Bush and Obama said. “So I think Putin is very opportunistic in these arenas. I think that even if — even if we had launched attacks in Syria, even if we weren’t cutting our defense budget — I think Putin saw an opportunity here in Crimea, and he has seized it.” Earlier this week, Gates told the Washington Post that the GOP lawmakers should “tone down” their criticism and “try to be supportive of the president rather than natter at the president.”

So shut up about Obama being weak. Putin is determined to make Russia a world power and Europe and their weenies are allowing him to do it.

Democrats are always weak on foreign policy. Too bad Obama decided not to put the missile defense weapons in Poland. Obama's been appeasing Putin from the beginning.

Why Putin Plays Our Presidents for Fools - NationalJournal.com

In June 2001, George W. Bush and Vladimir Putin ended their first face-to-face meeting with an outdoor news conference beneath a craggy mountaintop in Slovenia. "Is this a man that Americans can trust?" I asked Bush as Putin glared at me.

"Yes," Bush replied, before allowing Putin to answer a separate question. A few minutes later, the American president elaborated: "I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy. We had a very good dialogue. I was able to get a sense of his soul, a man deeply committed to his country and the best interests of his country," Bush said, adding a few sentence later, "I wouldn't have invited him to my ranch if I didn't trust him."

I love how you guys seem to feel the mistakes of Bush justify the mistakes of Obama the problem with Obama is he bases his foreign policy on how he thinks the world should be and not how it is.

Democrats are always weak on foreign policy. Too bad Obama decided not to put the missile defense weapons in Poland. Obama's been appeasing Putin from the beginning.

The missile defense, which doesn't work, is designed to keep Iran from firing nukes at Europe,

nukes that Iran doesn't have.

How, exactly, was that classic defense lobby dream of a white elephant supposed to keep Putin out of the Crimea?

I love how you guys seem to feel the mistakes of Bush justify the mistakes of Obama the problem with Obama is he bases his foreign policy on how he thinks the world should be and not how it is.

Tell us what Obama should be doing that he's not doing, re Russia and the Ukraine, and be specific, and be sure to tell us why your ideas are better than his.

The missile defense, which doesn't work, is designed to keep Iran from firing nukes at Europe,

nukes that Iran doesn't have.

How, exactly, was that classic defense lobby dream of a white elephant supposed to keep Putin out of the Crimea?

Putin didn't want it put in Poland because he was worried it could be used against him. Do try to keep up on things. Thanks.

The problem with Obama is Bush blew all of our political capital on Iraq and Obama has to bluff Russia and Putin.

You're so full of shit. World leaders laugh at Obama and Putin ignores him. When Obama wanted to attack Syria the only one who was with him was Hollande. Obama is a laughing stock.

good grief, they are trying desperately to make Obama "the man"

sheesh how sad some are

Bush had such a short time in office there wasn't much he could do.

The EU caused this by trying to gain advantage in trade negotiation by removing the elected president from office.

There are tens of thousands celebrating return to Russia and less than a thousand opponents. Crimea again being part of Russia is a done deal.

We will be paying for years to come for the antics of the Cowboy who "looked into" Putin's eyes and saw a man he can trust. What would W do about Crimea...wait let me help you.

NOTHING MORE THAN OBAMA IS DOING NOW. You can thank me later.

Forum List

Back