For those who don't know what Occupy is really about - Part 2

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chanel, Feb 14, 2012.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Shut Down the Corporations - Coordinated Actions

On Feb. 29th, the OWS is going to destroy capitalism or something. Stay tuned. :cuckoo:

2. newpolitics

newpolitics vegan atheist indy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +283
    And, you find this objectionable because you LIKE the fact that corporations own and run our government?

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I find this objectionable because I like stuff. Don't you like stuff? :cuckoo:

4. newpolitics

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Not enough to create demand to enable corporations, in supplying goods and services, to ruin our world, our government, everyone elses governments, people's and animals lives. Materialism is bullshit sold to you through a TV screen, which was sold to you as well. They convince you that you need things you don't need, and in the name of patriotism/capitalism (rolled into one) you are only a patriot if you buy stuff. It's absurd. I hate this capitalist/patriotic fervor that seems to have gripped this nation, as if it is going anywhere. If people would recognize the problem as corporations themselves, and their unscrupulous ways of achieving bottom line profits, while having no incentive to be accountable to external costs, we would be a whole lot better off.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Um ok. Do you know what a corporation is? :cuckoo:

Destroying capitalism will put people out of work. Do you like people?

6. newpolitics

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +283
    A corporation is a legal fiction created by the state that grants it similar rights as a person (can be sued, can sue), wherein there is limited liability to any single person within that corporation for any wrongdoing.

What is your definition?

I think our monetary system needs an overhaul, as per Ron Paul, but I am not against capitalism, per se, as a theoretical system. It's current incarnation is more of an infestation within our political system though, and represents nothing of free-market capitalism, but more of oligopolistic competition now within most major industries, gaining ever more ground by by being in bed with regulators and big government.

I want people to be happy, but just not Americans, everybody. Our desire for stuff shouldn't condemn workers in other countries to misery, or children to starvation, and this is the inefficiency capitalism is creating, because bottom line thinking disallows for morality, for the most part, unless financial incentives for moral behavior is created, otherwise, the quest for profit is usually a zero sum game: in order for some to profit, others must lose, and that doesn't always mean other firms, but other countries, other civilizations, other people. We as humans need to evolve past this.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    My husband and I are a corporation. We employ 9 people and provide a service that everyone needs. We pay an enormous amount of taxes because all profits are taxed at our personal rate, even though we never take them.

If OWS were to shut us down 2/29, people could freeze to death. True story.

Corporations are people too. :cuckoo:

8. newpolitics

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +283
    You are a small sized business. yes, you are a corporation. you have incorporated with the state, but your activities do not effect the market at the scale you operate. you know what I am talking about when I talk about game-changing corporations whose activities actually effect the market in terms of price and supply side behavior: giant corporations. such giant conglomerations would not exist were it not for the limited liability statutes of corporations, because nobody would be willing to risk such exposure.

Corporations are not people, they are a legal fiction. They are occupied by people. There is a clear distinction.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Is this about crony capitalism or capitalism in general? Their slogan needs some clarification. Perhaps the protestors will be able to articulate it better. (Lol)

10. newpolitics

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I suppose it is foremost about the more egregious problem: crony capitalism, but more importantly, income inequality created by crony capitalism: a class of wealthy people, self-insulated, created, allowed, and maintained by this cronyism. This is how I identify with OWS. Some see it differently. I think they are incredibly important in our time. I don't think they are against capitalism entirely, just the unfairness created by those already in power and with all of the resources, which means big corporations, who wield the most economic and political influence of anybody, and are able to turn the tides and change the rules in their favor.