For liberals asking for an alternative.

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Herbie Hancock, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    First..............there is no reason for the government to spend the amount of tax dollars on healthcare costs it does currently and under this plan would spend a fraction of what they currently do, specifically once my plan would go into affect over time. Following would be the steps I would introduce to eventually insure/cover all medical costs for everyone and do away with Medicaid/Medicare.

1) Do away with the states defining what a basic insurance plan needs to cover and do away with not allowing people to buy insurance across state lines.
    2) Allow states to set up high risk pools for people that have tried (and have documented proof) that they cannot obtain insurance on their own...............in these high risk pools the state will operate the plan and the individual will pay a monthly premium based on their risk, much like in the private insurance. The individual will still be responsible for copays, a likely large deductible, and co-insurances for services rendered.
    3) Tort Reform.
    4) Health savings accounts managed by a firm of the individuals choosing. THIS IS THE BASIS FOR MY PLAN. Your contribution to this can go as high as you want but at a minimum 2% of your pay will be withheld. You may be asking how this is different than social security or the individual mandate, and they are much different, in fact, have very little in common. The two percent will not go to the government but a private account of your choosing. It can be invested in the stock market, bonds, savings accts, or you can simply have it put in a box in a bank and you can view your balance through whatever financial institution you choose to work with whenever you want. THE MONEY CAN ONLY BE USED FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES. THE MONEY GROWS TAX FREE AND IS PULLED OUT TAX FREE. YOU CAN PASS IT DOWN TO YOUR CHILDREN INTO THEIR OWN HSA TAX FREE. Your employer can also contribute/match if they choose as they are likely to see savings on the insurance side of things with this scenario. To illustrate how this will eventually do away with Medicaid/Medicare and possibly all insurance (or at least everything but major medical see below). It may take a few cycles but eventually everyone will be on their own dime.

Husband HSA upon death
    $200,000
    Wife HSA Upon death
    $100,000
    which they had three children
    Child 1,2, and 3 inherit 100k each into their HSA and they pass their HSA which have had over 77 years to grow even more say husband and wife have 600k and 300k and have two children. Their children will now inherit almost 450k each into their HSA's. And so on and so forth. You can see that in generation 3 or 4 how this can happen.

I haven't ran into one liberal yet that can argue this system with me and it is pretty obvious this can be achieved not spending 1 trillion dollars and using funny math to show BS savings. (10 years revenue vs. 6 years spending) So there you go what it took the dems 2500+ pages to tear down I have re-done in a couple paragraphs and bullet points. I look foward to you libs trying to refute the above plan.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    What are the goals of these policies? What outcomes do you seek?

3. Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, first and foremost it is achieves what the messiah claims his plan does, althought it hasn't and won't, without creating another entitlement. It would essentially insure everyone and....in the long run make denials from insurance companies a minor inconvenience because you could pay cash for everything out of your hsa. I am not saying do away with insurance, yet have a major medical, high deductible plan. It would also eventually lead to the termination of Medicare/Medicaid saving the taxpayer trillions. Another untargeted aspect of this is that it would also save community hospitals that are currently drowning because of Medicare/Medicaid reimburesment. Again, what it took the messiah and his cronies 2500+ pages to tear down I have created an alternate plan which is much better in less than 1 page.

4. Bernard

Bernard Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    We are in trouble!

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    Why re-invent the wheel? It has been done at half the per capita cost with far better outcomes in many nations around the world.

Sick Around The World | FRONTLINE | PBS

6. Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7

7. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    That's a start. Now, how do you believe it will do that?

8. Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Did you even look at the plan? It is through your HSA which would work much like a 401k, except that anything left upon death would go to your remaining family untaxed...100% of it. You could simply pay for anything insurance doesn't cover out of your HSA. Over time everyone's HSA will be large enough to pay for EVERYTHING major medical doesn't cover. Look at the examples on my initial thread.

9. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    I see that you're suggesting requiring people to save 2% of their income, on the theory that, through inheritance and hard work, after a few generations one of the median American's grandchildren will be able to afford a decent length hospital stay. But you'll have to elaborate on how that achieves the goals most of us have for the system, such as the example you cite of "effectively insuring everyone." Preferably in this century.

10. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Simple.

Generation one and two don't get sick..and die with the first heart attack.

Now why couldn't you figure that out?:eusa_eh: