For Constitutionalists Only!

What in the world are you talking about?

Article IV, Section 4 : "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

If the Bill of Rights are incorporated, it removes the rightful power per the federal and state Constitutions of the respective states, to legally attend matters involving such as they see fit. That is not good. That is judicial activism.

The Federal Government is the Supreme law of the land. As stated in the Constitution. And they further State that those powers not delegated to the Federal Government may rest with the States and the people. The Constitution is supreme. IT SHOULD and DOES restrict the States. The Bill of rights and the rest of the Amendments all became part of the Constitution on Ratification.

The Bill of Rights, the 13th and 14th amendments are all useless if the States can simply IGNORE them. Further the 14th CLEARLY gives to the Federal Government the right to INCORPORATE the rest of the Constitution , ie , the amendments, to be Supreme over the States.

But back to the most important question. EXACTLY which Bill of Rights amendments do you find troubling if applied to the States? Be specific.

Further I argue that the Bill of Rights applied to the States with out the 14th. The Bill of Rights are protections granted the States and the People by the Superior Government, the Federal Power. They already grant powers to the Federal Government over the States even without the 14th Amendment. The Second Amendment specifically states the purpose of the Amendment is to make a promise to the States and the People, the right to always be able to be armed and to maintain militias. The rest of them provide specific protections and promises again to the People and the States. For example the Federal Government can not house troops without permission in homes. Absolutely meaningless if it does not apply directly to the States.

The 9th and 10th Amendments specifically mention the States. If the Bill of rights did not pertain to the States at all, how exactly would such an amendment grant any promise or power to the States or the People?

The 4th and 5th amendments are absolutely meaningless if the States can simply ignore them and compel their citizens to testify against themselves or allow unrestricted searches and seizures.

Have I stated somewhere in my posting, that the Constitution is not the supreme law of the land? No, I have not. So, there is no real point in posting that to me, when I have not argued that position.

I already gave an example dealing with the II Amendment. I haven't said anything about states ignoring whatever laws they want to.

You are reading things into my posts I haven't said Gunny. If that is because I haven't been as concise as I need to be, let me know and I will clarify my position(s) for you.

Do we agree that the Bill of Rights restricts the federal government, and not the individual states? That is what I have been saying. The Bill of Rights were not written to be incorporated. None of the supporting founding documents support that kind of position.

In my opinion, the XIV Amendment had nothing to do with incorporation. That is the position I have been debating.

We do not agree. The entire point is that the Federal Government is supreme. Any law they pass is the law of the land. ANYTHING in the Constitution applies to the States. There is no need for the 9th and 10th Amendments if nothing in the Constitution applies to the States. And there is no need for the Bill of Rights if those rights do not apply uniformly through out the Country.

There is absolutely no reason to talk about State rights and peoples rights if the Federal Government has no authority via the Constitution to claim power over the States or the People. NONE of them make any sense if that is the facts.

Again take the 5th Amendment, it means nothing if the States can just ignore it. All the Federal Government would need to do is convince one of the States to question a person and compel them to incriminate themselves.Also for the 4th, all the Federal Government would need to do is ask a State to do the search or the seizure if that Amendment does not apply to the States.

What in the world are you talking about?

Article IV, Section 4 : "The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened) against domestic violence."

If the Bill of Rights are incorporated, it removes the rightful power per the federal and state Constitutions of the respective states, to legally attend matters involving such as they see fit. That is not good. That is judicial activism.

The Federal Government is the Supreme law of the land. As stated in the Constitution. And they further State that those powers not delegated to the Federal Government may rest with the States and the people. The Constitution is supreme. IT SHOULD and DOES restrict the States. The Bill of rights and the rest of the Amendments all became part of the Constitution on Ratification.

The Bill of Rights, the 13th and 14th amendments are all useless if the States can simply IGNORE them. Further the 14th CLEARLY gives to the Federal Government the right to INCORPORATE the rest of the Constitution , ie , the amendments, to be Supreme over the States.

But back to the most important question. EXACTLY which Bill of Rights amendments do you find troubling if applied to the States? Be specific.

Further I argue that the Bill of Rights applied to the States with out the 14th. The Bill of Rights are protections granted the States and the People by the Superior Government, the Federal Power. They already grant powers to the Federal Government over the States even without the 14th Amendment. The Second Amendment specifically states the purpose of the Amendment is to make a promise to the States and the People, the right to always be able to be armed and to maintain militias. The rest of them provide specific protections and promises again to the People and the States. For example the Federal Government can not house troops without permission in homes. Absolutely meaningless if it does not apply directly to the States.

The 9th and 10th Amendments specifically mention the States. If the Bill of rights did not pertain to the States at all, how exactly would such an amendment grant any promise or power to the States or the People?

The 4th and 5th amendments are absolutely meaningless if the States can simply ignore them and compel their citizens to testify against themselves or allow unrestricted searches and seizures.

Have I stated somewhere in my posting, that the Constitution is not the supreme law of the land? No, I have not. So, there is no real point in posting that to me, when I have not argued that position.

I already gave an example dealing with the II Amendment. I haven't said anything about states ignoring whatever laws they want to.

You are reading things into my posts I haven't said Gunny. If that is because I haven't been as concise as I need to be, let me know and I will clarify my position(s) for you.

Do we agree that the Bill of Rights restricts the federal government, and not the individual states? That is what I have been saying. The Bill of Rights were not written to be incorporated. None of the supporting founding documents support that kind of position.

In my opinion, the XIV Amendment had nothing to do with incorporation. That is the position I have been debating.

Of course it does. The text:

Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section. 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Section. 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section. 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section. 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

(emphasis added)

What exactly are the privileges and immunities of citizenship if not the rights laid out in the constitution and its various amendments?

What is this "you people" crap? You don't know me. Don't presume to think you can lump me in with whatever group you are talking about. I am my own person. I know the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. I have not said otherwise in this thread. I have not even hinted of such. Why did you feel a need to tell me that?

if you notice, i edited that post... because i agree with you and was wrong for lumping ou in with others. apologies.

as for the constitution... there are many people on this board who think the constitution is supposed to be some literalist document to be read like a bible...when that isn't how the cases construe the constitution at all... and when people start in about "activist judges" then I am afraid I tend to make certain judgments.

the best description of an activist judge that i have ever heard was "a judge who doesn't agree with us".

What is this "you people" crap? You don't know me. Don't presume to think you can lump me in with whatever group you are talking about. I am my own person. I know the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. I have not said otherwise in this thread. I have not even hinted of such. Why did you feel a need to tell me that?

if you notice, i edited that post... because i agree with you and was wrong for lumping ou in with others. apologies.

as for the constitution... there are many people on this board who think the constitution is supposed to be some literalist document to be read like a bible...when that isn't how the cases construe the constitution at all... and when people start in about "activist judges" then I am afraid I tend to make certain judgments.

the best description of an activist judge that i have ever heard was "a judge who doesn't agree with us".

When I use the term "activist judges," I am referring to someone who injects either their personal opinions and biases into and above the Constitution as part of their ruling, or another party, for whatever reason. Another words, reading things into the Constitution, that aren't actually there, for whatever purpose. A lot of people do throw that term around, just because they disagree with a ruling. Oft times, it is political bias by the poster.

I didn't see the edit. Thank you for that.

I view the Constitution, as how a visiting prof during my 1L year put it........it is a dead document meant to bind future generations with its precepts.

We do not agree. The entire point is that the Federal Government is supreme. Any law they pass is the law of the land. ANYTHING in the Constitution applies to the States. There is no need for the 9th and 10th Amendments if nothing in the Constitution applies to the States. And there is no need for the Bill of Rights if those rights do not apply uniformly through out the Country.

There is absolutely no reason to talk about State rights and peoples rights if the Federal Government has no authority via the Constitution to claim power over the States or the People. NONE of them make any sense if that is the facts.

Again take the 5th Amendment, it means nothing if the States can just ignore it. All the Federal Government would need to do is convince one of the States to question a person and compel them to incriminate themselves.Also for the 4th, all the Federal Government would need to do is ask a State to do the search or the seizure if that Amendment does not apply to the States.

The federal government certainly has power via the Constitution. I haven't stated otherwise.

Lets look at the First Amendment. It states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." That is a restriction on the federal government, not the individual states. In fact, before and after the ratification of the Constitution, several states had their own "state recognized" religion.

I believe the Bill of Rights as well as the Constitution itself, was primarily written to restrict the federal government, not the individual states or the people. Ergo, the individual states had a right per the First Amendment to have state recognized religions. Nothing unconstitutional about that at all. But since incorporation theory took hold, and the federal government has seen fit to inject itself even more into the states and their laws, the courts have ruled numerous times violations of the First Amendment, even though Congress has not passed any law. That has taken power away from the states to handle the First Amendment as they see fit.

The II Amendment is also another example of infringement by the federal government even though it has yet to be incorporated. If it is, the federal government will have the say so with the law(s) affecting the right to bear arms, when it is supposed to be the states.

Where do you get the idea that the Bill of Rights is to be incorporated even before the XIV Amendment came about? There is absolutely nothing in the supporting founding documents that support that position. In fact, the supporting founding documents support what I have been debating.

Do you want the federal government passing even more control laws Gunny? That is exactly what will happen if the II Amendment is incorporated. You can count on that ugly reality.

I view the Constitution, as how a visiting prof during my 1L year put it........it is a dead document meant to bind future generations with its precepts.

lol... i tend to view it like my con law prof taught... as a living document which was supposed to bend with changes in how society views right and wrong... (i.e., slavery, women's sufferage, etc). .. and was sometimes supposed to lead those changes in morality (e.g., civil rights).

but always always as the last bastion of protection of the rights of the minority.

When I use the term "activist judges," I am referring to someone who injects either their personal opinions and biases into and above the Constitution as part of their ruling, or another party, for whatever reason. Another words, reading things into the Constitution, that aren't actually there, for whatever purpose. A lot of people do throw that term around, just because they disagree with a ruling. Oft times, it is political bias by the poster.

I didn't see the edit. Thank you for that.

every judge interjects his personal opinion and biases into their view of how the law should be interpreted. there is a reason that the supreme court, all brilliant jurists (well, most...) can disagree on major precepts of law. for example...scalia believes in small government yet would allow government to control a woman's body. those views aren't consistent absent a knowledge of his catholic heritage and strong religious views. on the flip side, sotomayor was a prosecutor in nyc and is very police officer friendly... she tends to call things "no harm no foul" if she believes police action was inadvertantly burdonsome on individual rights.

and no worries... you haven't been rude to me and i was wrong for going there.

lol... i tend to view it like my con law prof taught... as a living document which was supposed to bend with changes in how society views right and wrong... (i.e., slavery, women's sufferage, etc). .. and was sometimes supposed to lead those changes in morality (e.g., civil rights).

but always always as the last bastion of protection of the rights of the minority.

Hahaha.....My (both) con law prof was a lib, this guy was a con, so what can I say? LOL

And I was 36 at the time :eek:

Seriously though.....a dead document, as it was put to me, allows changes.....but is more a willow tree than a fox......standing firm and bending when needed, not darting at the first scent on the wind.

How's that for a metaphor? :tongue:

Hahaha.....My (both) con law prof was a lib, this guy was a con, so what can I say? LOL

Seriously though.....a dead document, as it was put to me, allows changes.....but is more a willow tree than a fox......standing firm and bending when needed, not darting at the first scent on the wind.

Do I know you from somewhere else? I think I do. :eusa_whistle:

My con law prof was more like yours, jillian. And BGG would have apoplexy if he knew what my 1st Amendment prof thought. ;)

My con law prof was more like yours, jillian. And BGG would have apoplexy if he knew what my 1st Amendment prof thought. ;)
No stroke here. ;) I am tougher than I look. :razz: I like doing battle with the legal heathens. :lol:

;)

I don't think so....*confused*

I don't think so....*confused*

Not the first time I was confuzzled and wrong. There was that time back in 1970's.

The power of BGG compels you Gold. :lol: Come to the dark side. I have ice cream. ;)

No stroke here. ;) I am tougher than I look. :razz: I like doing battle with the legal heathens. :lol:

;)

:lol::lol:

I suppose I should go mutter some incantations and burn incense over a copy of the COTUS now. But my robes are at the cleaner's. ;)

;)

:lol::lol:

I suppose I should go mutter some incantations and burn incense over a copy of the COTUS now. But my robes are at the cleaner's. ;)

Pine incense is best gold. Incantations such as BGG was right. I have seen the "light" works well. :eusa_whistle:

The power of BGG compels you Gold. :lol: Come to the dark side. I have ice cream. ;)

Ice cream? For real? Hmmmm...maybe this "principles" thing isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Forum List

Back