Foods That Lower Blood Sugar

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
The basic low glycemic index is the essential strategy in what foods you eat, and that means avoiding white starches like white bread and crackers, white rice, etc.

But the following foods are said to also reduce blood sugar levels, especially cinnamon. I will leave to the reader to dig further into whether the claims are legit or not, but they seem to work for me.

seeds - chia, pumpkin, flax, sesamee, sunflower.

almonds, peanuts

cinamon

whole grains - oats, whole wheat, brown rice

berries, especially blue berries

vinegar - in salads etc

dark chocolate

beans

tea

onions

garlic

lemons

cherries

avacadoes

I use most of what JB has posted above, and I avoid white flour, white potatoes, and white sugar.

Cinnamon?

Good, I really like cinnamon rolls.

Joking aside, I go thru about 2 lbs of mixed unsalted nuts a week

Several celery sticks, half a sweet potato with cinnamon, a grape fruit, and a glass of soy milk is my favorite way to start the morning.

This list is mostly garbage in regards to actually lowering your sugar if they are eaten. They may help you keep your levels lower if you eat some of them instead of other foods, but peanuts, give me a break. Carbs raise your blood sugar levels. It is very misleading to say you can eat a food and by doing so your sugar levels will be reduced unless you are sure about what you are talking about. Maybe some of the things on the list will do that, but most of them won't.

The basic low glycemic index is the essential strategy in what foods you eat, and that means avoiding white starches like white bread and crackers, white rice, etc.

But the following foods are said to also reduce blood sugar levels, especially cinnamon. I will leave to the reader to dig further into whether the claims are legit or not, but they seem to work for me.

almonds, peanuts

cinamon

vinegar - in salads etc

dark chocolate

beans

tea

onions

garlic

lemons

cherries

avacadoes
I do not think whole grains lower blood sugar. Research shows it raises blood sugar, along with all the other damaging affects of consuming grains. Dark chocolate maybe, if it has zero sugar.

Several celery sticks, half a sweet potato with cinnamon, a grape fruit, and a glass of soy milk is my favorite way to start the morning.
Well look at you being so healthy.

We have so little in common, but healthy eating is one thing we have in common. How can you be so smart about diet, but so dumb about politics?
:D:cool:

This list is mostly garbage in regards to actually lowering your sugar if they are eaten. They may help you keep your levels lower if you eat some of them instead of other foods, but peanuts, give me a break. Carbs raise your blood sugar levels. It is very misleading to say you can eat a food and by doing so your sugar levels will be reduced unless you are sure about what you are talking about. Maybe some of the things on the list will do that, but most of them won't.
nuts especially Walnuts contain unsaturated fats, protein and a range of vitamins and minerals that lower cholesterol, inflammation and insulin resistance.

nuts especially Walnuts contain unsaturated fats, protein and a range of vitamins and minerals that lower cholesterol, inflammation and insulin resistance.
True but they do not lower your blood sugar. Depending on the portion, they will spike your sugar levels. I consume walnuts and almonds and found them to spike the least, but that is me. Might be smaller or larger spikes in others. Healthy, yes, lowering sugar level food, no.

True but they do not lower your blood sugar. Depending on the portion, they will spike your sugar levels. I consume walnuts and almonds and found them to spike the least, but that is me. Might be smaller or larger spikes in others. Healthy, yes, lowering sugar level food, no.
it still is a recommended food by just about every diabetes institute out there.....and you are right about the size of the portion....to some diabetics a portion is until you are done scarfing on them....

High sugar levels, Type 2 diabetes is serious business and an epidemic in this country. Many people learn they have it or are told they are "borderline" and fly by the seat of their pants. They rely on what they read on the net and see all these irresponsible tips and recommendations or simply what people tell them.
The disease creeps up on people without them noticing the effects until all kinds of irreparable damages have been done. The only way to truly know which foods can be eaten and in what quantities is by daily testing for a long enough period to figure your system out for yourself. You check your sugar level with a small device that will fit into the palm of your hand. Consume your meal and check it again about an hour later. That is how you determine what you can eat and what you should not. After awhile you can quit with all but daily or routine testing if you refrain from cheating.

it still is a recommended food by just about every diabetes institute out there.....and you are right about the size of the portion....to some diabetics a portion is until you are done scarfing on them....
The trick is to eat those healthy foods, but keep your sugar levels in the safe range and stick to foods that will keep spikes at a minimum. Spikes are normal.

Well look at you being so healthy.

We have so little in common, but healthy eating is one thing we have in common. How can you be so smart about diet, but so dumb about politics?
:D:cool:
You are a libertarian, so you are half brain dead now and nothing can repair stupid.

I try every morning when I get up to immediately drink a half cup of water with a teaspoon of vinegar (apple cider vinegar seems to work best for me) with a teaspoon of some form of fiber supplement. The combination seems to slow and flatten the spike after I eat.

I try every morning when I get up to immediately drink a half cup of water with a teaspoon of vinegar (apple cider vinegar seems to work best for me) with a teaspoon of some form of fiber supplement. The combination seems to slow and flatten the spike after I eat.
You might try a little arsenic...as I understand it really does a good job of controlling blood sugar spikes...permanently.

almonds, peanuts

cinamon

vinegar - in salads etc

dark chocolate

beans

tea

onions

garlic

lemons

cherries

avacadoes
I do not think whole grains lower blood sugar. Research shows it raises blood sugar, along with all the other damaging affects of consuming grains. Dark chocolate maybe, if it has zero sugar.

Most of this is long range blood sugar lowering, as in stabilizing the rate at which the sugar goes into the blood stream instead of spiking it.

About two thirds of this comes from diabetes counselors, but I wanted to mix it in with some other advice I have found in the internet and that has helped me to lower my blood sugar.

If nuts lowers ones insulin resistance, which he agreed, then it will also lower you blood sugar as the decreased insulin resistance allows it to be absorbed into the cells.

Forum List

Back