Food Stamps: Just say no to sugary soda

Is it really so wrong? If NYC is spending $XXXXXX on health care for people on welfare and food stamps, and they have a solution to possibly save some of those health care dollars without cutting back on the health care. Is it really so wrong? Do we all not want less expensive health care?

I don't know......

HOW my dear Ollie, IS THERE ANY MONEY being saved by not letting them buy a soda once in a while verses letting them have the fatty, very unhealthy hot dog or fatty hamburger for breakfast lunch and dinner?

AND, ollie, you can make $46k for a family of 4 and STILL QUALIFY for food stamps, are these people on welfare and getting their health care paid for by the government or are they working and paying taxes.

and then you got all the senior citizens for goodness sakes, receiving food stamps, are you going to tell them at 70, 80 or 90 that they can not buy a soda once in a while with their foodstamp money?

IT'S RIDICULOUS and an over reach of our government to be in to this kind of petty crapola.

The money that is being saved is the client's foodstamp allotment. They will get the same amount, but it will go much, much farther. And most senior citizens treat their foodstamps the way everyone should...as charity, and they are extremely frugal in the way they spend it and what they spend it on. I know because I did eligibility for seniors on food stamps for 2 years. Seniors are the ones who cry when they come in to ask for foodstamps, after working all their lives and not being able to get by on their fixed incomes. They are generally underweight by the time they come in, depressed, and absolutely mortified. They travel huge distances so they don't have to use their ebt cards in their own hometown and I spend at least half of the intake time with new senior applicants telling them over and over that they earned the right to have foodstamps, whether or not they worked in their lifetime, just by reason of their age. Our population is obligated to feed our elderly. People no longer do it in their homes (where they SHOULD be doing it) so we can just all shoulder that burden collectively, since nobody wants to man up for their own.

Anyway, my point is, seniors typically understand what foodstamps are and would no more spend them on crap than they would steal from their neighbor. Many of them remember the Great Depression, and have an intimate understanding of the history of the food stamp program, and therefore they actually have a little insight and sense of propriety when it comes to spending them.

And, again, Care. Limiting handouts to people is NOT "more" government interference. It's less. It's withdrawing the tit, so you're exactly ass backwards.

Hey I used "tit" and "ass" in the same sentence!

I should get some sort of prize!

Is it really so wrong? If NYC is spending $XXXXXX on health care for people on welfare and food stamps, and they have a solution to possibly save some of those health care dollars without cutting back on the health care. Is it really so wrong? Do we all not want less expensive health care?

I don't know......

HOW my dear Ollie, IS THERE ANY MONEY being saved by not letting them buy a soda once in a while verses letting them have the fatty, very unhealthy hot dog or fatty hamburger for breakfast lunch and dinner?

AND, ollie, you can make $46k for a family of 4 and STILL QUALIFY for food stamps, are these people on welfare and getting their health care paid for by the government or are they working and paying taxes.

and then you got all the senior citizens for goodness sakes, receiving food stamps, are you going to tell them at 70, 80 or 90 that they can not buy a soda once in a while with their foodstamp money?

IT'S RIDICULOUS and an over reach of our government to be in to this kind of petty crapola.

I don't know about you, but i could easily feed a family of four on $46,000.

yeah, I agree with ya, you would THINK that $46k could pay for food for a family of 4...no argument there from me. Yet a family of 2, with no children can NOT qualify for food stamps if they make more than $14,000?

It's just nuts....and it does need some more reform, but not in the manner of dictating soda's off limits ollie....this is the fodder to throw all of us off and fighting, with the real mega problems with food stamps being missed or ignored....in my humble view of it.

I think scaling back what foodstamps can be used on is a huge step towards revamping the system and paring it down.

but for my tits and ass sentence, I am presenting myself with a Major Award!

45_LegOnlyCrate.jpg

I don't know......

The money that is being saved is the client's foodstamp allotment. They will get the same amount, but it will go much, much farther. And most senior citizens treat their foodstamps the way everyone should...as charity, and they are extremely frugal in the way they spend it and what they spend it on. I know because I did eligibility for seniors on food stamps for 2 years. Seniors are the ones who cry when they come in to ask for foodstamps, after working all their lives and not being able to get by on their fixed incomes. They are generally underweight by the time they come in, depressed, and absolutely mortified. They travel huge distances so they don't have to use their ebt cards in their own hometown and I spend at least half of the intake time with new senior applicants telling them over and over that they earned the right to have foodstamps, whether or not they worked in their lifetime, just by reason of their age. Our population is obligated to feed our elderly. People no longer do it in their homes (where they SHOULD be doing it) so we can just all shoulder that burden collectively, since nobody wants to man up for their own.

Anyway, my point is, seniors typically understand what foodstamps are and would no more spend them on crap than they would steal from their neighbor. Many of them remember the Great Depression, and have an intimate understanding of the history of the food stamp program, and therefore they actually have a little insight and sense of propriety when it comes to spending them.

Allie, you seem like someone who a person would meet, that would uplift them, at least give them heart. I've yet run into a person as you appear. Just the other day, realizing in the next week or two, I'm very likely to start getting sub jobs, I became concerned that over the holidays. It's possible for 3 or 4 weeks I might work alot, more than enough to put unemployment out of the picture. But come Thanksgiving? Dry up. End of grades coming up; holiday programs; gifts. Teachers show up.

So I went to UE office, one said, "Just file, you don't know what will happen." Another said, "File, but realize that they will stop taking the certification pretty quick." The most confident one said, "If you start subbing, you're considered teaching. Teachers cannot qualify for unemployment over holidays or summer." Well, I'm not under a contract. I'm not salaried. I'm receiving no benefits.

The whole process, which I've been paying into one way or another since 14 is humiliating and scary. That's unemployment. I can't imagine being hungry. Living without a job is horrible. I can't imagine those going for years, the past 4 months for me have been, and I've been off summers for a long time.

yeah, I agree with ya, you would THINK that $46k could pay for food for a family of 4...no argument there from me. Yet a family of 2, with no children can NOT qualify for food stamps if they make more than $14,000?

It's just nuts....and it does need some more reform, but not in the manner of dictating soda's off limits ollie....this is the fodder to throw all of us off and fighting, with the real mega problems with food stamps being missed or ignored....in my humble view of it.

There's no fight to it. Some of us are adult enough to disagree. You and I being just 2 of many in the USMB world. But if it does save on health care, that is something to think about. And as it has been pointed out, many, if not most of these people could easily purchase sodas if they want them.

As for you and your job search, hang in there. It can't get any worse. And of course we'll add that to the prayer list.

Allie, you seem like someone who a person would meet, that would uplift them, at least give them heart. I've yet run into a person as you appear. Just the other day, realizing in the next week or two, I'm very likely to start getting sub jobs, I became concerned that over the holidays. It's possible for 3 or 4 weeks I might work alot, more than enough to put unemployment out of the picture. But come Thanksgiving? Dry up. End of grades coming up; holiday programs; gifts. Teachers show up.

So I went to UE office, one said, "Just file, you don't know what will happen." Another said, "File, but realize that they will stop taking the certification pretty quick." The most confident one said, "If you start subbing, you're considered teaching. Teachers cannot qualify for unemployment over holidays or summer." Well, I'm not under a contract. I'm not salaried. I'm receiving no benefits.

The whole process, which I've been paying into one way or another since 14 is humiliating and scary. That's unemployment. I can't imagine being hungry. Living without a job is horrible. I can't imagine those going for years, the past 4 months for me have been, and I've been off summers for a long time.

It is hard, I don't care who you are. Even my "regulars" who have been on assistance all their lives have a hard time with recertifications and stuff. For one thing, it's complicated, and honestly, most of my long-term clients aren't super bright when it comes to figuring out paperwork, income, or even following directions (especially if it involves READING the directions). They are often defensive, they feel they are being judged, they are often embarassed whether or not they admit it. And they have to share really personal stuff with someone who isn't a friend or family member, and often is somebody they have never met before. I've sat on both sides of my desk, and I really, REALLY try to appreciate that regardless of the way my clients act, they are in a difficult spot for whatever reason. I don't get mad at them (and sometimes that's really hard..many of them lie and are really quick to call the supervisor and complain about nonsense) and just reassure, reassure, reassure, so they can relax and think instead of pinging around inside all their defense mechanisms.

I do get a little terse sometimes, but I try not to, and I remind myself a hundred times a day, there is no way a client can understand these programs when everything changes constantly and it has taken me 3 years to get where I am and I'm still nowhere near proficient at much of the stuff. I HATE cash assistance. Oh lord please don't let me ever be a case manager. I don't want to do that. Ever. The logistics of it are HORRIFYING.

There's no fight to it. Some of us are adult enough to disagree. You and I being just 2 of many in the USMB world. But if it does save on health care, that is something to think about. And as it has been pointed out, many, if not most of these people could easily purchase sodas if they want them.

As for you and your job search, hang in there. It can't get any worse. And of course we'll add that to the prayer list.

true, no fight, but a debate/discussion!

I am not looking for a job Ollie....I am retired, young.... :D we can afford such, because we were able to buy our house here, outright, with cash....so even if matt went unemployed, we could still get by...except for the cost of health care insurance for us...here in Maine it it $27k a year now, for an individual plan for Matt and me....so thank God we get it from his work...About $6k a year for the 2 with Dental, from his work....

Matt actually has health care with the VA...he's disabled, but he has to take it out at work for him, so that he can get coverage for me....at least that is what we were told, so we are doing it that way, but that doesn't seem right?

I know that this is a difficult concept for a libturd but I'm gonna try anyway. Taxpayers like to know that their handouts are spent wisely. Buying soda instead of nutrition is not a wise choice. Neither is sending stimulus checks to dead people. But to you libturds sending stimulus checks to dead people ain't none of our business is it? As long as we're spending someone else's money. Hey?? Hey???

I know that this is a difficult concept for a libturd but I'm gonna try anyway. Taxpayers like to know that their handouts are spent wisely. Buying soda instead of nutrition is not a wise choice. Neither is sending stimulus checks to dead people. But to you libturds sending stimulus checks to dead people ain't none of our business is it? As long as we're spending someone else's money. Hey?? Hey???

Do you have proof that it is soda drinking that is causing the obesity problem? Or are you just throwing crap against the wall hoping that something sticks....

Fatty meat is WORSE for them than soda, are you going to ban meat or require stores and butchers to remove all the fat before we sell it to them or us?

Do you also believe the gvt has the right to ban soda for those that are not on food stamps, but drawing a gvt retirement including health care costs for worker and their spouse?

How about those that lost their jobs and are on Unemployment but not welfare....should they be monitored as to what they buy or spend their unemployment on and gvt babysit them as well?

I don't want these people not feeding their kids because they buy soda only, but i do NOT think it is any of the gvt's business to tell them they can not buy soda with their foodstamps...it is NOT bad for everyone who drinks it....my grandpa drank it all his life and he lived a healthy life till 90 years old...he was not obese, he did not have diabetes....but he never owned a computer either, and he walked every single day of his life, from 1-5 miles.....

there is NO PROOF that soda is causing our obesity problem, and idleness is not the real culprit...

WHERE DOES IT END Willow, with you?

true, no fight, but a debate/discussion!

I am not looking for a job Ollie....I am retired, young.... :D we can afford such, because we were able to buy our house here, outright, with cash....so even if matt went unemployed, we could still get by...except for the cost of health care insurance for us...here in Maine it it $27k a year now, for an individual plan for Matt and me....so thank God we get it from his work...About $6k a year for the 2 with Dental, from his work....

Matt actually has health care with the VA...he's disabled, but he has to take it out at work for him, so that he can get coverage for me....at least that is what we were told, so we are doing it that way, but that doesn't seem right?

My bad, that was Annie talking about work. $6k isn't too bad from some that I've heard about. Let's hope it doesn't get worse.

Do you have proof that it is soda drinking that is causing the obesity problem? Or are you just throwing crap against the wall hoping that something sticks....
Fatty meat is WORSE for them than soda, are you going to ban meat or require stores and butchers to remove all the fat before we sell it to them or us?

Do you also believe the gvt has the right to ban soda for those that are not on food stamps, but drawing a gvt retirement including health care costs for worker and their spouse?

How about those that lost their jobs and are on Unemployment but not welfare....should they be monitored as to what they buy or spend their unemployment on and gvt babysit them as well?

I don't want these people not feeding their kids because they buy soda only, but i do NOT think it is any of the gvt's business to tell them they can not buy soda with their foodstamps...it is NOT bad for everyone who drinks it....my grandpa drank it all his life and he lived a healthy life till 90 years old...he was not obese, he did not have diabetes....but he never owned a computer either, and he walked every single day of his life, from 1-5 miles.....

there is NO PROOF that soda is causing our obesity problem, and idleness is not the real culprit...

WHERE DOES IT END Willow, with you?

I don't believe I even mentioned soda and obesity. What I said was taxpayers like to know that their handouts are spent WISELY. Soda provides zero nutrition. We are supposed to be feeding the poor food. Soda is not food. It's bullshit empty calories. Now I know you libturds think NOTHING of pissing away the taxpayers money but some of us object. Some of us have to hand you the money to buy the soda to piss away. We object.

A family of 2 with a gross income of $14,000 per year is eligible for foodstamps. The rate may vary just a little from state to state, but not much. The categorical eligibility limit for foodstamps for 2 people is $2247 per month (gross). So you can make around $25,000 and be eligible for foodstamps.

Why does Newt hate our military? Many of them have had their families rely on food stamps during the endless Bush deployments.

Ravi, I'm not convinced it's cheaper to make cake from scratch. Well, maybe just a yellow cake, with no icing, would be cheaper, but cake mixes are almost free!

There's nothing wrong with limiting what foodstamps can be used for. They aren't a panacea for people...the sole purpose of the food stamp program is to keep people from starving to death. They aren't a happy pill, nor is their role to make people feel good about not having a job.

Forum List

Back