Food presentation is important

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Hitting upon using pancake batter to bake pancake cupcakes recently (after a couple years of regular cupcakes and recently cornbread muffins) I've noticed words matter when giving food to people. To adults, pancake "muffins" are better than to the kids where I call them pancake "cupcakes." :) Same exact thing, just different terminology. Even mentioned it to a neighbor dropping some off for him and his kids, "They're pancake muffins to you, to your kids they're pancake cupcakes." :) He laughed.

Starting to think of this with all the things I eat liking or not liking them wondering if my distaste for something would change if it were called something I liked. Would I like "pea soup" more if it were called "vegetable soup?"

Recent beans commercial gave me the idea where kids aren't told the beans they like are a vegetable. :)

The Edgy Experience

This is a great observation. I study the culinary arts quite a bit, and I've noticed as well the social value of food presentation.

If you've seen those cooking shows on Food Network TV, you may have noticed how celebrity chefs focus on the atmosphere of the eating experience. Remember, only human beings meditate on the experience philosophy of cannibalism...

Food presentation is illuminated in the regional variations of specific dishes. Manhattan Clam Chowder is red and has a tomato-feel to it, while New England Clam Chowder is white and has a butter-and-cream-feel to it.

Anybody see the movie "Ravenous" (1999)?

:afro:

Tangelos, sat in the supermarkets for years and were not a mainstream fruit.

Now we have Cuties, those things sell out everywhere.

Hitting upon using pancake batter to bake pancake cupcakes recently (after a couple years of regular cupcakes and recently cornbread muffins) I've noticed words matter when giving food to people. To adults, pancake "muffins" are better than to the kids where I call them pancake "cupcakes." :) Same exact thing, just different terminology. Even mentioned it to a neighbor dropping some off for him and his kids, "They're pancake muffins to you, to your kids they're pancake cupcakes." :) He laughed.

Starting to think of this with all the things I eat liking or not liking them wondering if my distaste for something would change if it were called something I liked. Would I like "pea soup" more if it were called "vegetable soup?"

Recent beans commercial gave me the idea where kids aren't told the beans they like are a vegetable. :)

But cupcakes have icing. Muffins don't.

Keebler Elves: Pocketbook Police

How about understanding how consumerism culture (i.e., Burger King, eTrade, etc.) is creating windows into a humanist fascination with toy-archaeology economics?

How does it make us feel when big corporations are dictating translations/transformations of a home-festive behavior?

Keebler (Wikipedia)

gq.jpg

Everything is better either wrapped in bacon or deep-fried...or both!

The Edgy Experience

This is a great observation. I study the culinary arts quite a bit, and I've noticed as well the social value of food presentation.

If you've seen those cooking shows on Food Network TV, you may have noticed how celebrity chefs focus on the atmosphere of the eating experience. Remember, only human beings meditate on the experience philosophy of cannibalism...

Food presentation is illuminated in the regional variations of specific dishes. Manhattan Clam Chowder is red and has a tomato-feel to it, while New England Clam Chowder is white and has a butter-and-cream-feel to it.

Anybody see the movie "Ravenous" (1999)?

If you have Netflix, watch "Chef's Table". You won't be disappointed.

One evening at dinner, when my boys were very young, I was encouraging them to eat their vegetables.

"Vegetables have vitamins and nutrients and will keep you strong and healthy. They may even save your life one day"!

The four year old looks down at his plate and says "dad, I could get shot tomorrow and there's nothing this potato could do about it". :lol:

Alright clowns I'm only going to say this once, and I shall never reveal this recipe again. Bookmark this page you psychotic monkeys:

1. Make 2 pancakes
2. In between the pancakes spread Nutella, Peanut Butter, Jelly, Marshmallow Fluff, Raisins, Banana Slices, Honey, Bacon, and cinnamon.
3. All of the above ingredients are optional, but using as many as possible is recommended.
4. Bow to your Master, TOS.

Voila. So anyways, what's this thread about?

One evening at dinner, when my boys were very young, I was encouraging them to eat their vegetables.

"Vegetables have vitamins and nutrients and will keep you strong and healthy. They may even save your life one day"!

The four year old looks down at his plate and says "dad, I could get shot tomorrow and there's nothing this potato could do about it". :lol:
I think you should push him into politics!

He's 30 years old now, and an engineering analyst with Siemens. Making fuck tons more than dear old dad. :thup:

He's 30 years old now, and an engineering analyst with Siemens. Making fuck tons more than dear old dad. :thup:
Of course you'd raise a son that spends his days working with seimens :badgrin:

LOL. He did relay a story to me that his boss recounted... His boss once interviewed a guy named Dick Wang for a job at Siemens. :lol:

LOL. He did relay a story to me that his boss recounted... His boss once interviewed a guy named Dick Wang for a job at Siemens. :lol:
No fucking way! I call shenanigans!

Forum List

Back