Foo Fighters slam John McCain for unauthorized use of "My Hero"

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007

The Republican Party has courted plenty of trouble with its appropriation of popular songs during the presidential election campaign. Heart’s Nancy Wilson memorably said she felt “completely fucked over” by Sarah Palin’s use of the band’s “Barracuda,” while Van Halen asked John McCain to stop using their Sammy Hagar-era song “Right Now.”

Now Foo Fighters have stepped into the breach, issuing a statement denouncing McCain’s use of “My Hero” during his campaign. In a preamble to an official statement issued by the band, they talk of McCain using “a number of unauthorized theme songs” during his presidential bid, and mention how no permission was sought from “the band, its management, record label or publisher.”

Here’s the official statement from the band:

"This isn't the first time the McCain campaign has used a song without making any attempt to get approval or permission from the artist. It's frustrating and infuriating that someone who claims to speak for the American people would repeatedly show such little respect for creativity and intellectual property. The saddest thing about this is that 'My Hero' was written as a celebration of the common man and his extraordinary potential. To have it appropriated without our knowledge and used in a manner that perverts the original sentiment of the lyric just tarnishes the song. We hope that the McCain campaign will do the right thing and stop using our song--and start asking artists' permission in general!"

Foo Fighters slam John McCain for unauthorized use of 'My Hero'

What do you mean, he has learned. He's learned that nobody will give him permission if he asks and he gets one get out of jail free card per unauthorized use of each different song.

i have to agree, using a song, regardless of whether a politician may or may not be exempt from fair use laws, without permission is uncalled for and should not be allowed.

whether the song is used for the same purpose as the band intended is irrelevant....songs rights are purchased and used all the time by major brands....nike, mazda, toyota....doubtful those artist wrote/sang the song for those companies

McCain has been using the song from Top Gun...Danger Zone.

Here are the lyrics....

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into the Danger Zone

Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the track
And shovin' into overdrive

Highway to the Danger Zone
I'll take you
Right into the Danger Zone

The Republican Party has courted plenty of trouble with its appropriation of popular songs during the presidential election campaign. Heart’s Nancy Wilson memorably said she felt “completely fucked over” by Sarah Palin’s use of the band’s “Barracuda,” while Van Halen asked John McCain to stop using their Sammy Hagar-era song “Right Now.”

Now Foo Fighters have stepped into the breach, issuing a statement denouncing McCain’s use of “My Hero” during his campaign. In a preamble to an official statement issued by the band, they talk of McCain using “a number of unauthorized theme songs” during his presidential bid, and mention how no permission was sought from “the band, its management, record label or publisher.”

Here’s the official statement from the band:

"This isn't the first time the McCain campaign has used a song without making any attempt to get approval or permission from the artist. It's frustrating and infuriating that someone who claims to speak for the American people would repeatedly show such little respect for creativity and intellectual property. The saddest thing about this is that 'My Hero' was written as a celebration of the common man and his extraordinary potential. To have it appropriated without our knowledge and used in a manner that perverts the original sentiment of the lyric just tarnishes the song. We hope that the McCain campaign will do the right thing and stop using our song--and start asking artists' permission in general!"

Foo Fighters slam John McCain for unauthorized use of 'My Hero'

Its so fucking funny how old and unhip Republicans are.

I think almost every big name rock band has sued McCain and poor Sarah for using their songs: Boston, Heart, U2, John Mellankamp, Foo Figheters, Jackson Brown.

Grandpa was reduced to playing a Kenny Loggins tune at one of his rallies. What a dork.

Do you think Grandpa even knows who these rock bands are? Didn't he graduate from high school in 1923, or something?

If he's not using it in commercials, not shit they can do about it. He can play it at his rallies at his will. I like Dave Grohl though, he's a musical god.

Pat Boone has offered numerous times to let the RNC play his music free of charge during their rallies. However, the RNC declined for fear of sucking.

Since John McCain is getting sued for using songs without permission. I thought I'd help him out and suggest a new theme song. I think it is really fitting and should go well with his message. Here it is:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxol_huYpws]YouTube - John Lennon - Crippled Inside (1971)[/ame]:clap2::eusa_whistle:

Pat Boone has offered numerous times to let the RNC play his music free of charge during their rallies. However, the RNC declined for fear of sucking.

Oh, man, they should've accepted THIS one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8zi4oFdUek&feature=related]YouTube - Pat Boone - You've Got Another Thing Comin'[/ame]

That's the message McCain really needs.

Tell me again why we care what some washed-up, shitty-to-begin-with band says?

Foo Fighters are an abortion of a band. They sound like a fat guy farting on a metal chair.

If he's not using it in commercials, not shit they can do about it. He can play it at his rallies at his will. I like Dave Grohl though, he's a musical god.

I'm not a fan of Foo Fighters, and if (as you say) it's not a big deal .... why didn't he simply mention the name of the group and give them credit for using the song. The same goes for any one that use's any song in their campagin.

Stupid, just stupid on their part. IMO :eusa_eh:

To have it appropriated without our knowledge and used in a manner that perverts the original sentiment of the lyric just tarnishes the song.

The Foo Fighters have every right to protect their brand, folks. It IS their intellectual property.

It doesn't matter if you like John or hate the Foo Fighters, that is the whole point.

Tell me again why we care what some washed-up, shitty-to-begin-with band says?

Foo Fighters are an abortion of a band. They sound like a fat guy farting on a metal chair.

gosh.. it's funny that your lil pony seems to want to use all this SHITTY music though, eh?

:lol:

for real.. go call the Right Brothers... Oh, and say what you will about the foo fighters but Dave Grohl was, is, and always will be the fucking man. I'd like to see you go from drumming behind the paramount band of the 90s to becoming the frontman of your own pretty successful band. opinions and assholes, MY FREIND.. and, thus far, it's not the dems out trying to rip off motherfuckers.

Since John McCain is getting sued for using songs without permission. I thought I'd help him out and suggest a new theme song. I think it is really fitting and should go well with his message. Here it is:YouTube - John Lennon - Crippled Inside (1971):clap2::eusa_whistle:

Getting sued? They can't sue him. Using their song at a rally isn't against the law, even without their permission. If he used it in an ad, that's a different story.

And Stoner, fuck you. Foo Fighters own. Go smoke another joint and space out to your Pink Floyd album.

BTW, I love Pink Floyd too, but drugs are bad.

Getting sued? They can't sue him. Using their song at a rally isn't against the law, even without their permission. If he used it in an ad, that's a different story.

Actually that is completely incorrect. As someone who works with popular music all the time, BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, and other music licensing companies are quite explicit in how "popular" music may be used.

Here is a pretty good explanation of the process:

When you see the words "All Rights Are Reserved" on a home video that you've rented or purchased, you know that playing that video before a public audience, like the customers in your business, is prohibited. The right to publicly perform a video, is not included in the rental or purchase price of a "home" video.

What you may not know is that the same restrictions apply when you purchase a tape, cd, video or hire live musicians. The purchase price covers only the consumer's private use, similar to the "home" use of "home" videos. "All Rights Are Reserved", whether labeled or not, means that the copyright owner of the music only gives you the right to listen or play their music privately, with your family or friends in your home or car. Their "Performing Right", as it's called, or right to perform their music publicly, is reserved for them. Anyone else must obtain permission.

The U.S. Copyright Law, which has recognized this "Performing Right" of songwriters, composers and publishers since 1897, is similar to other copyright and patent protection. It was designed to enable and encourage artists to continue to create by:

Protecting the integrity of the work; and entitling the creator to be compensated for using their work in public by the business/organization benefiting from playing the music.

These principles are similar to those which have enabled businesses who use trademarks to protect their product. Trademarks enable companies to serve the public with quality without having to "give away" what makes their product unique. Examples of products which are trademarked are:

Software
Formulas for well-known beverage products
Books and magazines
Artwork & Photography
Videos

BMI.com | General FAQs

That is from BMI's website. You'll find a similiar description on all of the other music licensing sites as well.

I hope that clears this issue up.

In summary, yes, McCain's camp are a bunch of bufoons for continuing to break the law regarding the use of "popular" music.

Forum List

Back