Fmr. Clinton Aide Harold Ickes Goes Where Even Michael Moore Didn't Dare

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Oct 28, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    he states as fact that the saudi bin laden family was allowed to leave the US without being questioned.

heinious new ad has factcheck.org up in arms

2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    There's an ad here in Colorado on the radio that says Bush is closing Fire Stations across the nation, it simply isn't true. I am a volunteer firefighter in my county and we are awash with more Federal Money than ever before. There are no Fire Stations closing because of Bush. The DNC is running an ad that is an outright lie, but nobody even seems aware of it.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i have heard of fire stations closing in places like NYC, Detroit, Atlanta.... big cities mostly. Homeland security funding is not properly being planned or doled out. That's more the federal government celebrating a new huge bureaucracy than George Bush though.

4. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Shouldn't fire stations be a municipality/county responsiblity? (That's my opinion anyhow.)

The more we rely upon the federal government to pay for everything, the more we move away from the basis upoon this coutnry was founded - a federation of states.

Instead of giving money to the federal government and having it doled at the discretion of Congress, I'd much rather pay my taxes locally and fund things in my city/county. Why should I, in Seattle, be funding fire stations in NY or Detroit?

There are obvious economies of scale in developing response programs and technologies for first responders at a federal level, but I think it is much fairer to address funding of operations at the local level.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I've read that at least half a dozen fire houses have been closed in the past 2 years in the 5 bourroughs here in NYC. NATO's right-- its a function of homeland security funding being doled out evenly among counties whose terror risks are vastly different.

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Actually the vast majority of funding comes locally, it is more a function of the economy than it is Bush at all or Homeland Security.

If any stations closed in the 5 bourroughs area it would be necessary to look into the local economy and see why there are differences, they may be obvious as in NYC, or they may be inept local governments. Almost never will all of your funding come from the Feds, only in DC would that happen.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Bigger cities have much higher costs for big events (pro sports, major concerts, political conventions, business summits, holiday terror alerts, etc etc) than smaller cities do. I heard that sadly though, this is not reflected in the Homeland Sec. funding as it should be.

Biggest point of all is, these ads won't stop because they're now in the hands of 527's, not the candidates themselves. kerry and bush can yell all they want, but that will just drive the 527's even more underground, making it harder to stop them.

8. White knight

White knight Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That is doing a great disservice to our quasi democracy, spreading half-truths and misinformation.
    I think most of this started when we had a former CIA director runs for office. The terms disinformation, plausible deniability and other polite ways of saying lies and propaganda.