Flying While Fat

I can literally openly discriminate against gays in employment if I don't live in a state that has passed it's own laws against specific discrimination.

true story.
But why would you? As an employer I always hired the person who I thought would be the best for the job. Up to and including a gay person.

The majority of employers are not out to slit their own throats by not hiring the best person for the job regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation etc.....

I'm a woman. Many construction companies still won't hire me just for that reason. I see it as their loss not mine. If they would rather have some inexperienced male twerp running their hundred thousand dollar plus machines, let them.

obesity is not a federally protected status.
Can't say it won't happen in the future.
Everything else get's special protection why not protect fat people to? Plus let's have some protections in there for little or short people. If we are going to be a society that has protection for one shouldn't we include special classes for all?

Not just midgets either. How bout lowering those bar stools so us in the under 5'4" category don't have to jump up to get a seat? lol And what about the usually tall people; have to make the doorways big enough for them. And if you have special rules for these protected people for a plane won't you have to have special rules for everything else?

sure, if they pick a base weight and refund to people under that weight the same amount/lb they charge the overweight.

Now I can agree with that one. :lol: They'd probably make another slim person share the same seat with me though just to make it profitable.

You can sit on my lap, maybe we'll get half price that way~! :lol:

These damn airlines have always been so freaking shady about pricing.

They should just have a height, weight chart. If you're over such a weight for such a height, meaning you're fat, you pay the higher fee and get a larger seat. If you're under the weight, height limit for fat, you pay the lower fee and get a normal sized seat.

But I wouldn't see weighing people as much of a problem anyway. When the DMV can weigh a passing semi tractor and trailer as it passes by at 55 miles an hour, then they can scan a person's height and weight with a simple walk by as well.

I don't care to fly, but there's no denying it's convenience of speed. But if I was ever crammed in beside some boiling over, sweaty, obese person, I'd make no qualms about my displeasure with a friendly, "keep the fuck off me." It's not my fault they're fat, so why should I suffer from it?

Last edited:
Think of it this way folks. Weight and balance is the crucial factor in aircraft operating efficiency and safety. Payload is the revenue generating holy cow.

The weight of the cargo is known down to the last kilo and BTW, cargo is generally more profitable than pax. The weight of the passengers is calculated. In your country it is based on the FAA standard weights for passengers and baggage which are:

"Standard passenger and baggage weights"

Passenger, summer: 160 pounds

Passenger, winter: 165 pounds

(This actually is a "derived number" based on a 60% male, 40% female passenger ratio.)

Children, two to twelve years old: 80 pounds

Cabin attendant, male: 150 pounds

Cabin attendant, female: 140 pounds

All other crew members: 170 pounds

Baggage

25 pounds for domestic flights

30 pounds for international flights

"Heavy" bags: Any bag considered by the "operator" to weigh more than 70 pounds must be weighed exactlly and will be considered as part of the cargo.

When was the last time any of you were on a flight where you believed the average weight of the passengers was 160 pounds? And do you really believe the average baggage weight is really 25 pounds.

Now, next time you're on a full flight, Take a look round the cabin and make a mental note of all those who are rather large. Then ask the flight attendant how long the runway is. (Jeez, even the smileys have had a fright now. They've stopped working!)

As to the original question. Yes. Obese people should be charged more on full flights. After all, cargo is charged by weight - or if very light but bulky (day old chicks for example) by volume. Why shouldn't passengers be subject to a surcharge if overweight. It all comes down to weight and balance and payload.

That's why the airlines are going bust. Too much freeloading of fat.

True story!

A woman called the airline and asked "Do airlines put your physical description on your bag so they know who's luggage belongs to who?" The customer service rep said "No, why do you ask?" She replied "Well, when I checked in with the airline they put a tag on my luggage that said FAT, and I'm overweight, is there any connection?" The rep responded, “No madam. FAT is the city code for Fresno, your destination.”

I can literally openly discriminate against gays in employment if I don't live in a state that has passed it's own laws against specific discrimination.

true story.
But why would you? As an employer I always hired the person who I thought would be the best for the job. Up to and including a gay person.

The majority of employers are not out to slit their own throats by not hiring the best person for the job regardless of their race, religion, sexual orientation etc.....

I'm a woman. Many construction companies still won't hire me just for that reason. I see it as their loss not mine. If they would rather have some inexperienced male twerp running their hundred thousand dollar plus machines, let them.

Your opinions of why people shouldn't doesn't belay the fact that such is perfectly legal. Personally, I wouldn't use the criteria to filter candidates but the fact remains that it's legal and "equality" is not a federally guarenteed concept.

Charging more for heavier than "average" is logical for airplanes, plain and simple. Their weight consumption is effected the most by weight of all other modes of transportation, and already their passenger space is very limited so size is also an issue there.

However there is no right or wrong here, it's a private business and how they determine the price is up to them, hell, they could do a charge per hair if they wanted. If you don't like it simply find another mode of transport.

I don't see a problem with paying by the pound. Heavier people are using more resources, why shouldn't they pay a proportional amount?

I don't see a problem with paying by the pound. Heavier people are using more resources, why shouldn't they pay a proportional amount?

rich people use more resources than poor.....well not really becuase there are entire buildings with hundreds of people in them to help the poor....so maybe the poor shuld be charged more to offset their carbon footprint....

rich people use more resources than poor.....well not really becuase there are entire buildings with hundreds of people in them to help the poor....so maybe the poor shuld be charged more to offset their carbon footprint....

But can the poor afford to buy shoes for their carbon footprint? :eusa_think:

They should not charge per pound, but they should charge for "spillage" (i.e. fat person that needs two seats).

I have no problems paying a little more money for a bigger seat. I object to paying for ANOTHER seat, especially since I won't be sitting in it.

I've seen southwest take an extra seat away from someone on a full flight and refund the extra money they paid....because they made more money on the last minute fair. It's crap.

we aren't all the same size, how about different size seats with more legroom and a reasonable upgrade price? Say one and 1/2 times the price of your seat, or even double. United charges about 10 times for first class seats as they do for economy seats and on domestic flights, they sure as heck aren't getting 10 times the room.

Me? I try to pick days and times to fly when the planes aren't as full. It makes the trip much easier. I still haven't met anyone with one arm and all those seats have only one armrest between them.

Forum List

Back