good manners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strollingbones, May 5, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    do you have them or not? no this is not a damn quiz. but i am an emily post kinda person.

what do you consider good manners? what are you unsure of when you go out to dinner?
    what are you unsure of with thank you cards etc?

how do you think your manners would rate on a scale of 1 to 10...with 10 being emily post?

just how appalling are your manners?

(husband would like to point out that someone who is too lazy to use good grammar etc. should not be posting this...i would rate him a 6 on good manners)

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Good manners are bullshit ... Penn and Teller proved it in one of their shows to.

3. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    see that is the attitude i am speaking of....i didnt see the penn and teller show...but perhaps that is ...cause i can read a damned book on etiquette...good manners are not bullshit and many time good manners will open doors for you when very little else will...

4. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Common courtesy is very different from "good manners". You would need to watch the show to understand it better, I am just no good at explaining it, but here are some good examples:

Someone asks if they look good in an outfit, they don't they look horrible, do you be good mannered and just smile politely, saying they do or be rude and tell them it's ugly as hell?

When someone nearly hits you with their car and glare at you like it's your fault, do you be good mannered and let them pass or just smirk and ignore the hell our of them?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I have pretty good 'manners.' One of the parents was helping another decorating the bulletin boards in the hallway the other day, came into my room when she heard me say, "Ok, start on your homework, please."

She and another mom were laughing, seems the could hear me talking with the kids, "Good point, can someone else expand and correct so and so's answer? Thank you"

"Danielle, this is the third time I've asked you, be quiet PLEASE!"

"Joe, would you please open the window? Thank you."

Ok, let's close the books and please take out pens for the quiz. Nikki, please pass out the quiz." As Nikki did, the others said, 'Thank you.'

And THAT"S what cracked up the moms, the kids were thanking another for giving them a quiz! It rubs off. I find it also makes for less power struggles between the kids and myself, a very good thing in middle school. It costs nothing to add a please and thank you. When done so consistently, if one of them is acting up and I say, "That was rude and hurtful, you need to apologize and change that behavior..." They usually accept that. When I tell them to hold the door for the next person, they do. I've heard them on patrol telling younger students, "Hold the door for the next person, it's only polite!" :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    kitty...i would rather go..perhaps you can wear something else or try on something else....i would much rather do that.....than let her appear in public looking like shit

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    how hard is a please and thank you.

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    My real life friend would never trust me again if I said that LOL ...

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I try to be polite.

Why?

Because showing good manners is a form of respect for the other, and being polite just tends to make human interaction go smoother.

A little courtesy won't kill you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Thnak you's, please and welcomes go a long ways. Manners at a dinner table depends on the company your in. I am rarely around the formal crowd. So my table manner probably suck. I still cut my steak up into bites before I eat. It is a habit I still have from when my children were little.

While driving in their cars I beleive people can have some of the worst manners. Who wants to here another persons music five cars down. And courtesy goes out the window for a lot of folks out on the road. I think that is why they had to make it law here that one must pull into the farthest lane away from a stopped vehicle along side the road.

I've been rude at times in my life to a few. A guy stopped and helped me get a flat tire off once. It was a good thing as I needed the help and had no clue how to run the jack or change a tire. Afterwards he even help me get the tire from the car into the back of my pickup. The guy kind a freaked me out though when he started asking personal questions. At the point I had already said thank you a half a dozen times and was in my pickup and trying to get out of there I was still telling the guy thank you and he was standing there by my drivers window still hanging around. I finally said thank you again and added, "Well if I ever see you broke down maybe I can help you." He said, "Well my truck's broken now." I said, "Oh, what does it need?" He said, "A kiss." I said, "I'm sorry mister I don't kiss trucks." And I had already started the pickup by then so I pulled it in gear and gunned it to get out of there.

The next day I'm sharing my tire changing adventure with my mom and grandmother at breakfast. My grandmother says, "Your terrible." I asked her, "What, someone stops to help you and they did not do it out of the goodness of there heart. then they expect something from you and I am the terrible one." She says, "Yes". I said, "Okay, so if someone asked me to dinner I probably owe them a piece of ass or something." She said, "Yes. You owe them something". I told her well they are S.O.L if they think they are getting anything besides my good company.

Just goes to show how thoughts can change between generations on what's proper and not proper.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1