Postage Going Up..

Anyone who uses USPS, you might want to get some extra forever stamps before Monday, May 11.

USPS - Mailing Services Prices Effective Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm glad I clicked on the link, or I would have gone out and bought some 2cent stamps until my packet I have now runs out. At least I don't have to do that! I use the mail about 10 times a month for letters, the rest I pay my bills online. (The ones I can)

Customers can use their Forever Stamps — regardless of when purchased — to mail 1-ounce letters after the price change, without the need for additional postage. Forever Stamps are widely available through Post Offices, commercial retail outlets such as grocery stores, and online.

Prices for mailing services will continue to adjust each May. Prices for most shipping services, including Express Mail and Priority Mail, were adjusted in January and will not change in May.

The USPS is obsolete.

Not Quite KK:

The United States Postal Service employs over 785,000 workers, making it the third-largest[1] employer in the United States, after the United States Department of Defense[2] and Wal-Mart.[3] Its employees deliver mail at an average yearly cost of $235 per residence as of 2009.[4]

The USPS operates the largest civilian vehicle fleet in the world, with an estimated 260,000 vehicles, the majority of which are the easily identified Chevrolet/Grumman LLV (Long-Life Vehicle), and the newer Ford/Utilimaster FFV (Flex-Fuel Vehicle), originally also referred to as the "CRV" (Carrier Route Vehicle), as shown in the pictures below. In an interview on NPR, a USPS official stated that for every penny increase in the national average price of gasoline, the USPS spends an extra $8 million to fuel its fleet.[citation needed] This implies that the fleet requires some 800 million gallons (3.03 billion liters) of fuel per year, and consumes an estimated fuel budget of $3.2 billion, were the national gasoline price to average $4.00. Some rural mail carriers use personal vehicles. Standard postal-owned vehicles do not have license plates. These vehicles are identified by a seven digit number displayed on the front and rear.

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and a rip off...i go to mail a letter to someone in state..they are giving me quotes of 4 dollars or so to get in there in 3 days....all i needed was a first class stamp to get it there in one day...what a rip

Here's the thing, there is an alternative that many corporations are utilizing which is not email, actually two, FedEx and UPS, which both offer mail service and though they are about the same price as USPS, they are faster and more reliable, plus you can pay for extra services to customize delivery. They also offer better bulk rates. The USPS specifically is obsolete in the fact that people don't use them as much. They are just wasting money now. With email for most common letters and the other two major private companies with more services, they are behind. In our city they had to lay off a few hundred employees recently and take out more than half the street mailboxes as well as their stamp dispensers, they now use "metered" mail, same price just instead of printing stamps it prints a code on the letter when you pay for it. They are losing money, lots of money, while UPS and FedEx are thriving.

Anyone who uses USPS, you might want to get some extra forever stamps before Monday, May 11.

USPS - Mailing Services Prices Effective Monday, May 11, 2009

I'm glad I clicked on the link, or I would have gone out and bought some 2cent stamps until my packet I have now runs out. At least I don't have to do that! I use the mail about 10 times a month for letters, the rest I pay my bills online. (The ones I can)

Customers can use their Forever Stamps — regardless of when purchased — to mail 1-ounce letters after the price change, without the need for additional postage. Forever Stamps are widely available through Post Offices, commercial retail outlets such as grocery stores, and online.

Prices for mailing services will continue to adjust each May. Prices for most shipping services, including Express Mail and Priority Mail, were adjusted in January and will not change in May.

I pay it all online too, it's so much easier.

You know, I would really hate to see the Post Office go the way of the dinosaur.

I love writing and getting letters in the mail. There is a certain "art" to it, so to speak. I have a HUGE box full of letters I have saved, sent to me by family, friends and old boyfriends. I like to read them once in awhile. Sometimes I will show some to my daughter, she cracks up about how I was in high school.

email just doesn't have that same "character" I guess. Plus, who is going to save an email for years and years? :lol:

You know, I would really hate to see the Post Office go the way of the dinosaur.

I love writing and getting letters in the mail. There is a certain "art" to it, so to speak. I have a HUGE box full of letters I have saved, sent to me by family, friends and old boyfriends. I like to read them once in awhile. Sometimes I will show some to my daughter, she cracks up about how I was in high school.

email just doesn't have that same "character" I guess. Plus, who is going to save an email for years and years? :lol:

As I said, there are other options to, not just email. The USPS specifically it out of date, and thus why they are raising the rates while still having to reduce services. Check out FedEx or UPS, they don't really charge more unless you take advantage of other services. UPS even charges less for packages than the USPS.

I never mail letters anymore, but I do get stuff from them a lot, in the form of game & music CDs and etertainment DVDs.

Forum List

Back