Florida Teacher of the Year's gun violence post goes viral after school shooting

depotoo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2012
Parents need to hear this from a Florida Teacher of the Year winner. It’s not the complete answer, but it is a large part-

Kelly Guthrie Raley

Kelly Guthrie Raley
February 15 at 8:25am · Eustis, FL ·
Okay, I’ll be the bad guy and say what no one else is brave enough to say, but wants to say. I’ll take all the criticism and attacks from everyone because you know what? I’m a TEACHER. I live this life daily. And I wouldn’t do anything else! But I also know daily I could end up in an active shooter situation.

Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it-violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school. Our kids don’t understand the permanency of death anymore!!!

I grew up with guns. Everyone knows that. But you know what? My parents NEVER supported any bad behavior from me. I was terrified of doing something bad at school, as I would have not had a life until I corrected the problem and straightened my ass out. My parents invaded my life. They knew where I was ALL the time. They made me have a curfew. They made me wake them up when I got home. They made me respect their rules. They had full control of their house, and at any time could and would go through every inch of my bedroom, backpack, pockets, anything! Parents: it’s time to STEP UP! Be the parent that actually gives a crap! Be the annoying mom that pries and knows what your kid is doing. STOP being their friend. They have enough “friends” at school. Be their parent. Being the “cool mom” means not a damn thing when either your kid is dead or your kid kills other people because they were allowed to have their space and privacy in YOUR HOME. I’ll say it again. My home was filled with guns growing up. For God’s sake, my daddy was an 82nd Airborne Ranger who lost half his face serving our country. But you know what? I never dreamed of shooting anyone with his guns. I never dreamed of taking one! I was taught respect for human life, compassion, rules, common decency, and most of all, I was taught that until I moved out, my life and bedroom wasn’t mine...it was theirs. And they were going to know what was happening because they loved me and wanted the best for me.

There. Say that I’m a horrible person. I didn’t bring up gun control, and I will refuse to debate it with anyone. This post wasn’t about gun control. This was me, loving the crap out of people and wanting the best for them. This was about my school babies and knowing that God created each one for greatness, and just wanting them to reach their futures. It’s about 20 years ago this year I started my teaching career. Violence was not this bad 20 years ago. Lack of compassion wasn’t this bad 20 years ago. And God knows 20 years ago that I wasn’t afraid daily to call a parent because I KNEW that 9 out of 10 would cuss me out, tell me to go to Hell, call the news on me, call the school board on me, or post all over FaceBook about me because I called to let them know what their child chose to do at school...because they are a NORMAL kid!!!!!

Those 17 lives mattered. When are we going to take our own responsibility seriously?

15K Saves
Florida Teacher of the Year's gun violence post goes viral after school shooting

Her caring and love of her students shows in this posting and reveals why she was chosen as teacher of the year.

Yeah gun control clearly does not work and when normal people realize that they can try to figure how to help instead of the mindless blabber about more of what does not ever work.

Yeah gun control clearly does not work and when normal people realize that they can try to figure how to help instead of the mindless blabber about more of what does not ever work.
Yep, and I would imagine that if teachers are asked if they agree with her thoughts, most would agree as to what has been happening.

Add in the deliberate decision by school administrations to mainstream kids that have issues too serious for a teacher to deal with and it's a recipe for disaster.

If we treated our schools as places of learning instead of indoctrination centers and social experiments, we could begin to address the problem. A teacher in this country has to spend so much of their time dealing with the kids with obvious mental illnesses that they can hardly teach a thing to the others. The failures are bureaucratic, as the dogma of "inclusiveness" overrides any real concern for the children who are in school to learn.

Yep, and I would imagine that if teachers are asked if they agree with her thoughts, most would agree as to what has been happening.
She's spot on, except gun control is ALSO needed. Her solutions are important but they won't bear fruit overnight.

Add in the deliberate decision by school administrations to mainstream kids that have issues too serious for a teacher to deal with and it's a recipe for disaster.

If we treated our schools as places of learning instead of indoctrination centers and social experiments, we could begin to address the problem. A teacher in this country has to spend so much of their time dealing with the kids with obvious mental illnesses that they can hardly teach a thing to the others. The failures are bureaucratic, as the dogma of "inclusiveness" overrides any real concern for the children who are in school to learn.
You can't blame the administrators for that. It is federal law. The public schools get them all.

Parents need to hear this from a Florida Teacher of the Year winner. It’s not the complete answer, but it is a large part-

Kelly Guthrie Raley

Kelly Guthrie Raley
Okay, I’ll be the bad guy and say what no one else is brave enough to say, but wants to say. I’ll take all the criticism and attacks from everyone because you know what? I’m a TEACHER. I live this life daily. And I wouldn’t do anything else! But I also know daily I could end up in an active shooter situation.

Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it-violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school. Our kids don’t understand the permanency of death anymore!!!

I grew up with guns. Everyone knows that. But you know what? My parents NEVER supported any bad behavior from me. I was terrified of doing something bad at school, as I would have not had a life until I corrected the problem and straightened my ass out. My parents invaded my life. They knew where I was ALL the time. They made me have a curfew. They made me wake them up when I got home. They made me respect their rules. They had full control of their house, and at any time could and would go through every inch of my bedroom, backpack, pockets, anything! Parents: it’s time to STEP UP! Be the parent that actually gives a crap! Be the annoying mom that pries and knows what your kid is doing. STOP being their friend. They have enough “friends” at school. Be their parent. Being the “cool mom” means not a damn thing when either your kid is dead or your kid kills other people because they were allowed to have their space and privacy in YOUR HOME. I’ll say it again. My home was filled with guns growing up. For God’s sake, my daddy was an 82nd Airborne Ranger who lost half his face serving our country. But you know what? I never dreamed of shooting anyone with his guns. I never dreamed of taking one! I was taught respect for human life, compassion, rules, common decency, and most of all, I was taught that until I moved out, my life and bedroom wasn’t mine...it was theirs. And they were going to know what was happening because they loved me and wanted the best for me.

There. Say that I’m a horrible person. I didn’t bring up gun control, and I will refuse to debate it with anyone. This post wasn’t about gun control. This was me, loving the crap out of people and wanting the best for them. This was about my school babies and knowing that God created each one for greatness, and just wanting them to reach their futures. It’s about 20 years ago this year I started my teaching career. Violence was not this bad 20 years ago. Lack of compassion wasn’t this bad 20 years ago. And God knows 20 years ago that I wasn’t afraid daily to call a parent because I KNEW that 9 out of 10 would cuss me out, tell me to go to Hell, call the news on me, call the school board on me, or post all over FaceBook about me because I called to let them know what their child chose to do at school...because they are a NORMAL kid!!!!!

Those 17 lives mattered. When are we going to take our own responsibility seriously?

15K Saves
Progressives hate people like this that they cannot control

She's spot on, except gun control is ALSO needed. Her solutions are important but they won't bear fruit overnight.
Not the type of gun control progressives want, because they will not compromise on anything short of firearm confiscation

Kelly Guthrie Raley

Kelly Guthrie Raley

15K Saves

Hmm, are you suggesting we be parents? Lol, that as stupid as when that politition guy said they should read bills before they pass them,lol. Something horrible happens and the answer is, “be a parent”. Na, ban guns. Not at home, but was her post on the news? Doubt it. Common sense rarely ever is a factor in these situations.

Having had some teachers in our family I have heard that over and over. It’s doesn’t work well for anyone. Some can be successful, others not so much. I also have a family member who is an outside therapist that has to be called to schools often to try to bring these kids down when they go off the walls. They disrupt learning in the classrooms everyday.

You can't blame the administrators for that. It is federal law. The public schools get them all.

Fair enough.

Those who pushed for the laws are the same ones crying about gun control. Perhaps they should look in the mirror, instead.

Countries with strong gun control aren't constantly mourning the last mass shooting like us. Seems to work actually.

It was, I posted a link. The rest of your post doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Kelly Guthrie Raley

Kelly Guthrie Raley

15K Saves

Hmm, are you suggesting we be parents? Lol, that as stupid as when that politition guy said they should read bills before they pass them,lol. Something horrible happens and the answer is, “be a parent”. Na, ban guns. Not at home, but was her post on the news? Doubt it. Common sense rarely ever is a factor in these situations.

Fair enough.

Those who pushed for the laws are the same ones crying about gun control. Perhaps they should look in the mirror, instead.
You got any ideas, Dog?

Countries with strong gun control aren't constantly mourning the last mass shooting like us. Seems to work actually.

You are assuming there are no other differences.

We didn't have these things happening when I was a child and we had LESS restrictive laws in those days.

It was, I posted a link. The rest of your post doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Kelly Guthrie Raley

Kelly Guthrie Raley

15K Saves

Cause it’s to simple. Either way, it was a good article.

Mental health issues are huge and widely ignored. If it squeaks give it a pill. If it cries give it a pill. They fling so many pills at these kids without any consideration for pharmacogenetics. One size fits all. Sad.

You, being older, as myself, know that when we were growing up, the trucks in the school parking lot had rifles hanging on their gun racks. They were not being broken into, nor were schools being shot up. So, what is different today that you feel the laws will change anything? Anyone can get a gun illegally if they want it. Maybe common sense tells us to approach the problem differently. Look at Chicago. It has some of the toughest gun laws out there, yet daily people are being murdered by illegal guns. Those laws have not stopped anything, only increased the killings.

Forum List

Back