Florida Stopped Gun Background Checks For A Year After Official Couldn’t Log In

The employee responsible said she couldn’t remember her information to log in to a national database that keeps track of criminals.

For over a year, Florida allowed citizens to obtain concealed weapon permits without a background check because an employee couldn’t log in to a national database that tracked people deemed unfit to own weapons in other states, a previously unreported government investigation has revealed.

The 2017 document, which was first reported on Friday by the Tampa Bay Times, revealed that starting in February 2016, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services stopped using an FBI crime database because an employee in charge of background checks could not log in to the system.

The database, called the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, is used by state officials to keep track of applicants who want to carry guns and who may also have a criminal history or documented mental health issues in other states.

The issue was not corrected until March 2017, according to the investigation, which was conducted by the state agriculture department’s Office of Inspector General.

Record requests by the Tampa Bay Times revealed the negligence, with the final state investigation revealing that it was employee Lisa Wilde who had a “login issue” with the database but never followed up to get it fixed.

Wilde told investigators that she “neglected to do it for almost a year.” It was ultimately more than a year.

“I dropped the ball ― I know I did that, I should have been doing it and I didn’t,” Wilde said.

As the Times points out, tens of thousands of applications went unchecked during that period, in a state that saw a surge of requests to get weapon permits following the June 2016 Pulse nightclub shooting that left 50 people dead. The state saw horror again in February of this year when 17 people were gunned down at a high school in Parkland, Florida.

When questioned by investigators, Wilde looked “bewildered, and stated: I had a login issue and never followed up,” the investigative report says.

State Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, a Republican now running for governor, bragged in 2012 that under his leadership, the process of getting a concealed permit application fell from 12 weeks to 35 days.

Wilde is now out of a job, the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Adam Putnam’s office stopped concealed weapons background checks for a year because it couldn’t log in

Such incompetence is unbelievable! What do you think?

Maybe they should pass a law to require the employee to remember their password...

Now let me ask you this and please think clearly and if the employee fails to do their job then what good was it to have that employee and also what good would it do to pass more laws when people refuse to enforce them or better yet do their damn job!?!

The employee responsible said she couldn’t remember her information to log in to a national database that keeps track of criminals.

For over a year, Florida allowed citizens to obtain concealed weapon permits without a background check because an employee couldn’t log in to a national database that tracked people deemed unfit to own weapons in other states, a previously unreported government investigation has revealed.

The 2017 document, which was first reported on Friday by the Tampa Bay Times, revealed that starting in February 2016, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services stopped using an FBI crime database because an employee in charge of background checks could not log in to the system.

The database, called the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, is used by state officials to keep track of applicants who want to carry guns and who may also have a criminal history or documented mental health issues in other states.

The issue was not corrected until March 2017, according to the investigation, which was conducted by the state agriculture department’s Office of Inspector General.

Record requests by the Tampa Bay Times revealed the negligence, with the final state investigation revealing that it was employee Lisa Wilde who had a “login issue” with the database but never followed up to get it fixed.

Wilde told investigators that she “neglected to do it for almost a year.” It was ultimately more than a year.

“I dropped the ball ― I know I did that, I should have been doing it and I didn’t,” Wilde said.

As the Times points out, tens of thousands of applications went unchecked during that period, in a state that saw a surge of requests to get weapon permits following the June 2016 Pulse nightclub shooting that left 50 people dead. The state saw horror again in February of this year when 17 people were gunned down at a high school in Parkland, Florida.

When questioned by investigators, Wilde looked “bewildered, and stated: I had a login issue and never followed up,” the investigative report says.

State Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam, a Republican now running for governor, bragged in 2012 that under his leadership, the process of getting a concealed permit application fell from 12 weeks to 35 days.

Adam Putnam’s office stopped concealed weapons background checks for a year because it couldn’t log in

This is a state government that can't figure out how to redo a password. No one need wonder how Russia is hacking into our systems.

Now you don't like Russia again? I can't keep track. You were just in favor of them bribing Hillary for 20% of US uranium reserves because they weren't a threat. Now they are again?

You just flip flop and fly ...

This kind of stuff happens everywhere, which is why the Fix NICS bill was so important. When I was a caseworker, we routinely ran criminal background checks on clients. On more than one occasion, when I interviewed them and asked about any criminal history, they were telling me about arrests and incarcerations that were not on the background checks from the State reporting authority.
Come to find out, about a third of courts weren't bothering to report to the state for chunks of time, up to a year or more. I didn't know who to complain to--as a state employee, I think I would have been canned, tarred and feathered if I'd gone public. My supervisor told me to report those incidents as they arose to the reporting agency and that was it. Fixed a handful while how many weren't included on the background checks?
That's all before it would even get to NICS.

It’s also arrogance and contempt for the law.

Let's have a national database that tells State governments whether you're entitled to free speech or not. What do you think?

Oh! Absolutely! Then we need to set one up to check if you are entitled to vote too. And how about one to check on whether or not you really can tell that soldier that he can't take over your master bedroom like he claims he can. Yeppers, them things called Rights are grossly overstated!

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Lisa Wilde lost her job - but she should also be prosecuted.
“To be clear, a criminal background investigation was completed on every single application,” Putnam said. “Upon discovery of this former employee’s negligence in not conducting the further review required on 365 applications, we immediately completed full background checks on those 365 applications, which resulted in 291 revocations.” ibid

291 prohibited persons not eligible for a concealed weapon license are also 291 prohibited persons not eligible to possess firearms, where we can assume many of those prohibited persons indeed possess firearms.

Let's have a national database that tells State governments whether you're entitled to free speech or not. What do you think?

Oh! Absolutely! Then we need to set one up to check if you are entitled to vote too. And how about one to check on whether or not you really can tell that soldier that he can't take over your master bedroom like he claims he can. Yeppers, them things called Rights are grossly overstated!

Well Sir that paper is just that a piece of paper and damn your rights when it come to my wish to live with the false sense of safety that our government can never provide!

Give me the false sense of safety over my freedom of choice any day...

( Stop laughing and imagine me saying that with a deep southern accent!!! )

Aw, rubbish. She isn't the first government employee to f-k up, and won't be the last. We had a state department official who passing around confidential information with a personal server, and nothing happened to her.

This is small potatoes, and this Wilde broad didn't profit at all by this, it was a pure f-k up.

It is small potatoes but do you agree the head of Dept of Ag Putnam being the head man should have had a grasp on this? Should he continue to run for Governor?

“To be clear, a criminal background investigation was completed on every single application,” Putnam said. “Upon discovery of this former employee’s negligence in not conducting the further review required on 365 applications, we immediately completed full background checks on those 365 applications, which resulted in 291 revocations.” ibid

291 prohibited persons not eligible for a concealed weapon license are also 291 prohibited persons not eligible to possess firearms, where we can assume many of those prohibited persons indeed possess firearms.

He should have know earlier. He is in charge.

How would he know what a state employee buried in a cubicle somewhere was doing? Maybe they'll start checking from now on, though.

Something doesn't sound right. Fingerprints might be sent to the FBI crime data base but an instant name check in most states relies on state records with proof of residency. I don't recall a rash of shootings in Florida by concealed carry permit holders and the system has been corrected so what's the problemo?

Voting, I like it. Voting isn't even a Constitutional right like owning a gun is. That's a no brainer, a national database to say whether you're authorized to vote or not.

Clayton's in, he likes national databases to determine whether or not the Feds recognize a right or not

This is a state government that can't figure out how to redo a password. No one need wonder how Russia is hacking into our systems.

Now you don't like Russia again? I can't keep track. You were just in favor of them bribing Hillary for 20% of US uranium reserves because they weren't a threat. Now they are again?

You are one misguided person. You can't keep things straight.

:itsok:

Well Sir that paper is just that a piece of paper and damn your rights when it come to my wish to live with the false sense of safety that our government can never provide!

Give me the false sense of safety over my freedom of choice any day...

( Stop laughing and imagine me saying that with a deep southern accent!!! )

With a lot of bluster and bravado

You are one misguided person. You can't keep things straight.

:itsok:

I didn't mean to make you cry, gay guy. Calm down.

So you're saying that the Russians were a threat and Hillary should be investigated for selling them the uranium?

Try to calm down, gay boy. Your lip is still quivering

Yep....it is what you should expect from the Government....yet you are the one who keeps wanting to give them more and more power.....

And even with this......you have no gun control point.

Those people with those permits.....applied for the permit......they followed the law. Next, if they aren't allowed to have those permits, once they are stopped by the police at traffic stops, they will have their records run, and if they are prohibitted from having the gun on their hip, those cops will deal with it...no need for the gun permit in the first place.

Many states already have Constitutional Carry, which means if you aren't a felon, you can carry a gun without a permit.....

And more Truth.....homicide in Florida went down, not up as this was going on...even as those Floridians got their permits without background checks...showing that background checks don't stop criminals, and don't cause good people to become criminals...

Homicide numbers down in 2017, but difficult cases abounded

But there were fewer homicides throughout the Orlando area in 2017 than in 2016, records show.

Miami was once a murder capital. The gunfire deaths this year tell a new story

Over the four-day July 4 weekend, Chicago, which has roughly the same population as Miami-Dade County’s 2.6 million, was plagued by more than 100 shootings and 14 homicides.

Number of shooting deaths in Miami-Dade over the same weekend: Zero.

Homicides in unincorporated Miami-Dade, the county’s central core that includes several of the highest-crime neighborhoods, compare reasonably well with other regions with similar populations. With a population of 1.2 million, unincorporated Miami-Dade had 54 homicides during the first six months of this year, county police records show.

So far this year in Philadelphia, which has a similar population, there have been 122 homicides. Jacksonville, which has about two-thirds the population of unincorporated Miami-Dade, has seen 52 homicides so far this year. Major metro regions with better per capita crime rates than Miami-Dade include Denver and San Francisco.

Chicago v Miami-Dade...

Chicago has extreme gun control and doesn't have one gun store or shooting range in the city limits........permits are not a big deal when the one with the gun is a law abiding citizen...

Over the four-day July 4 weekend, Chicago, which has roughly the same population as Miami-Dade County’s 2.6 million, was plagued by more than 100 shootings and 14 homicides.

Number of shooting deaths in Miami-Dade over the same weekend: Zero.

Homicides in unincorporated Miami-Dade, the county’s central core that includes several of the highest-crime neighborhoods, compare reasonably well with other regions with similar populations. With a population of 1.2 million, unincorporated Miami-Dade had 54 homicides during the first six months of this year, county police records show.

So far this year in Philadelphia, which has a similar population, there have been 122 homicides. Jacksonville, which has about two-thirds the population of unincorporated Miami-Dade, has seen 52 homicides so far this year. Major metro regions with better per capita crime rates than Miami-Dade include Denver and San Francisco.

How about background checks before you are allowed to by an electronic device, to make sure convicted computer criminals and child exploiters can't buy them........? Let's do the same for use of public library computers too....see how they like that...

This kind of stuff happens everywhere, which is why the Fix NICS bill was so important. When I was a caseworker, we routinely ran criminal background checks on clients. On more than one occasion, when I interviewed them and asked about any criminal history, they were telling me about arrests and incarcerations that were not on the background checks from the State reporting authority.
Come to find out, about a third of courts weren't bothering to report to the state for chunks of time, up to a year or more. I didn't know who to complain to--as a state employee, I think I would have been canned, tarred and feathered if I'd gone public. My supervisor told me to report those incidents as they arose to the reporting agency and that was it. Fixed a handful while how many weren't included on the background checks?
That's all before it would even get to NICS.

Wow....you missed it.

If you fix NICS, and the woman doesn't do the background check because she forgot her password....what good was Fix NICS? Since the background check wasn't done?

And as has been pointed out.....you guys want these people to control our guns....

Wrong....those are initial denials.....and this is why I love the internet......

False positives from the NICs background check system which is wha the majority of first denials are.....not criminals who are going through a legal process to get a gun....

Some more examples of false positives in the NICS background check system - Crime Prevention Research Center

Many people have contacted us about problems that they have faced with NICS background checks, but we have only very recently started keeping track of some cases. We have previously discussed cases of mistakes by the NICS system in mistakenly denying people the ability to purchase guns.

Ronnie Coleman, a Virginia resident, was denied being able to buy a gun in October 2012 because another person from his hometown in Texas had a name and birthdate that were considered “close enough” to his own and had a felony conviction. Coleman was advised to get a Unique Personal Identification Number from the NICS system to prevent this confusion in the future.

Frank Wise from Jacksonville Beach, Florida ran into two problems.

In the 1990s, he was convicted of check fraud after his employer went bankrupt. When his paycheck bounced, two checks he sent to his mortgage company also bounced. Nearly 20 years later, Mr. Wise was able to get his record cleared, but that information wasn’t entered into the background check system for three years. Getting this fixed cost him $3,600 in legal fees.

— He was also stopped from buying a gun in until 2016 because a Kentucky resident who, according to Wise’s lawyer, was a felon and had a “very similar name and the same or similar birthdate.”

We have recently come across five more examples of mistaken denials by the NICS system (detailed information on these next five cases is available here).

Daniel A. Umbert (“Umbert”) is an adult male citizen of the State of Florida and is a duly licensed attorney by the State Bar of Florida. Purchase attempted on August 1, 2017.

Troy Brent Chodosh “(Chodosh”) is an adult male citizen of the State of Texas. Purchase attempted on April 17, 2017.

Errol Alexander Eaton (“Eaton”) is an adult male citizen of the State of Mississippi. Purchase attempted in May 2018.

Chase W. Bickel (“Bickel”) is an adult male citizen of the State of Indiana.

Gary James LeComte (“LeComte”) is an adult male citizen of the State of Idaho. Transfer attempted in June 2015.

How would he know what a state employee buried in a cubicle somewhere was doing? Maybe they'll start checking from now on, though.

Yes....until the person who is supposed to be checking on the other employees fails to check on the other employees........

Forum List

Back