Florida Sheriff Refuses to Resign, Accuses Critics of ‘Grandstanding’

Who’s grandstanding? You make the call:

I'm so old I remember when leadership meant taking responsibility for things under your control.

I thought he'd be voted out the next time he's up for re-election. Clearly, he has to take responsibility for the actions of his deputies when over and over they seem to have missed the boat on this one.
I do caution everyone: Even IF every officer who went to Cruz's home on a 911 call had said to themselves, "This kid is dangerous," what could they have done? Cruz had been referred for mental health counseling. He had a social worker following him. Could he have been arrested, the way the 21 year old in Rochester just was, for threatening to shoot up a high school? A 19 year old high school student in Ellsworth Maine was arrested over the weekend for saying he was aiming to break the record of 17 for killing people in a school shooting. Could the Florida police have arrested the kid for a threat that didn't specify a particular person?
Let's find that out first. The other thing is, would a misdemeanor such as the above show up on a NICS list anyway?
There are questions I want answered before I tar and feather the guy. He obviously blew it, but how tightly were his hands tied?

I'm so old I remember when leadership meant taking responsibility for things under your control.

I thought he'd be voted out the next time he's up for re-election. Clearly, he has to take responsibility for the actions of his deputies when over and over they seem to have missed the boat on this one.
I do caution everyone: Even IF every officer who went to Cruz's home on a 911 call had said to themselves, "This kid is dangerous," what could they have done? Cruz had been referred for mental health counseling. He had a social worker following him. Could he have been arrested, the way the 21 year old in Rochester just was, for threatening to shoot up a high school? A 19 year old high school student in Ellsworth Maine was arrested over the weekend for saying he was aiming to break the record of 17 for killing people in a school shooting. Could the Florida police have arrested the kid for a threat that didn't specify a particular person?
Let's find that out first. The other thing is, would a misdemeanor such as the above show up on a NICS list anyway?
There are questions I want answered before I tar and feather the guy. He obviously blew it, but how tightly were his hands tied?

They could have taken his weapons away for one thing.

They could have taken his weapons away for one thing.

Under what authority? I'm not arguing, I'm asking.

So let me get this straight. The libs say we don't need guns to defend ourselves because the police will do it. Is that all the legalized pot talking?

Forum List

Back