Florida Man Invokes ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law After Shooting Fellow Pizza Customer

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
A Florida man defended his decision to shoot an impatient pizza customer over the weekend, citing the state’s infamous “Stand Your Ground” law.
Michael Jock, a 52-year-old resident of St. Petersburg, was standing in line behind 49-year-old Randall White at a local Little Caesars on Sunday when Jock grew angry over White’s complaints about the speed of service. The two got began to shove one another, prompting Jock to pull out a .38 Taurus Ultralight Special Revolver that had been concealed on his person and fire twice, hitting White both times in the lower torso.
The Tampa Bay Times has more:
After the shooting, both men went outside and waited for police. Jock told officers the shooting was justified under “stand your ground,” [police spokesman Mike] Puetz said.
“He felt he was in his rights,” Puetz said. “He brought it up specifically and cited it to the officer.”
He told officers he feared for his life. He mentioned that he thought White had an object in his hand, then backed off that when officers pressed him. Florida’s “stand your ground law” says people are not required to retreat before using deadly force.

Florida Man Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Fellow Pizza Customer | ThinkProgress

I think that ThinkProgress is not the best source one can use, but I will assume it happened like it has been reported.

I do not like this law, to me, it seems to mean that you can kill someone for a petty reason and get away with it.

I think that ThinkProgress is not the best source one can use, but I will assume it happened like it has been reported.

I do not like this law, to me, it seems to mean that you can kill someone for a petty reason and get away with it.

I think, you think too much instead of just reading the article which linked to the original article.

Not the best source of news.....Interesting comment, so "I think" you know of a better source?

Man shot at Florida pizza joint had been complaining about slow service, 'stand your ground' invoked

ST. PETERSBURG — Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law has been cited in hundreds of cases. People have used it to justify shooting, stabbing, killing and maiming would-be intruders, romantic competitors and rival gang members.

And on Sunday, at a pizza joint in St. Petersburg, a man tried to use it as justification for shooting another customer who was yelling at workers because he wasn't getting his order fast enough.

Police said the incident unfolded about 4 p.m. inside the Little Caesars, 3463 Fourth St. N, after Randall White, 49, got mad about his service.

Another man in line, Michael Jock, 52, of St. Petersburg admonished White.

That "prompted them to exchange words and it became a shoving match," said police spokesman Mike Puetz.

White raised a fist. Jock, a concealed-weapons permit holder, pulled out a .38 Taurus Ultralight Special Revolver.

He fired one round, hitting White in the lower torso. The men grappled and the gun fired again, hitting White in roughly the same spot, police said.

One bullet lodged in a wall in the restaurant, which was occupied by at least two other people.

After the shooting, both men went outside and waited for police. Jock told officers the shooting was justified under "stand your ground," Puetz said.

"He felt he was in his rights," Puetz said. "He brought it up specifically and cited it to the officer."

He told officers he feared for his life. He mentioned that he thought White had an object in his hand, then backed off that when officers pressed him. Florida's "stand your ground law" says people are not required to retreat before using deadly force.

"We determined it did not reach a level where deadly force was required," Puetz said.

Police arrested Jock on charges of aggravated battery with a weapon and shooting within a building. He was released from jail on $20,000 bail.

Man shot at St. Pete pizza joint had been complaining about slow service - Tampa Bay Times

A Florida man defended his decision to shoot an impatient pizza customer over the weekend, citing the state’s infamous “Stand Your Ground” law.
Michael Jock, a 52-year-old resident of St. Petersburg, was standing in line behind 49-year-old Randall White at a local Little Caesars on Sunday when Jock grew angry over White’s complaints about the speed of service. The two got began to shove one another, prompting Jock to pull out a .38 Taurus Ultralight Special Revolver that had been concealed on his person and fire twice, hitting White both times in the lower torso.
The Tampa Bay Times has more:
After the shooting, both men went outside and waited for police. Jock told officers the shooting was justified under “stand your ground,” [police spokesman Mike] Puetz said.
“He felt he was in his rights,” Puetz said. “He brought it up specifically and cited it to the officer.”
He told officers he feared for his life. He mentioned that he thought White had an object in his hand, then backed off that when officers pressed him. Florida’s “stand your ground law” says people are not required to retreat before using deadly force.

Florida Man Invokes 'Stand Your Ground' Law After Shooting Fellow Pizza Customer | ThinkProgress

We keep this up, there will be no one left to shoot. Good? Bad?
I am all for stand your ground...I have kids to protect...but come on...shooting a guy just because they got in a scuffle over pizza service? Really???

I'm still trying to figure out why people would stand in line at Little Caesars Pizza......????

Moral of the story is...don't raise you fist and threaten violence and you won't get shot.

Pretty simple I think.

Moral of the story is...don't raise you fist and threaten violence and you won't get shot.

Pretty simple I think.

why do you assume the guy with the gun was telling the truth?

I'm not. I read the story.

The article reported it as a fact...

"White raised a fist. Jock, a concealed-weapons permit holder, pulled out a .38 Taurus Ultralight Special Revolver."

It doesn't say "Jock claimed", or "according to Jock".

Pretty simple I think.

But the men were in a scuffle...it's not as if the other guy had a weapon (as far as what is being told by botched media) not to mention they were in a public place..a stray bullet had penetrated a wall...what if that stray bullet hit an innocent bystander? Is that still justified as "stand your ground"?
Like I stated above, I am all for stand your ground...I'll nail any ass between the eyes if my life or my childrens lives were in absolute danger...but, this guy? Was his life really in danger?

Pretty simple I think.

But the men were in a scuffle...it's not as if the other guy had a weapon (as far as what is being told by botched media) not to mention they were in a public place..a stray bullet had penetrated a wall...what if that stray bullet hit an innocent bystander? Is that still justified as "stand your ground"?
Like I stated above, I am all for stand your ground...I'll nail any ass between the eyes if my life or my childrens lives were in absolute danger...but, this guy? Was his life really in danger?
Comments on the Tampa newspaper story claim the perp was upset that someone was using foul language around an old lady.

Like I said, there are a lot of stupid people in Floriduh with guns.

Pretty simple I think.

"White raised a fist. Jock, a concealed-weapons permit holder, pulled out a .38 Taurus Ultralight Special Revolver."

Do you really think you have the right to shoot someone who might punch you.

Yes.

You threaten me with violence, I have the right to protect myself.

Last edited:

Pretty simple I think.

Comments on the Tampa newspaper story claim the perp was upset that someone was using foul language around an old lady.

Like I said, there are a lot of stupid people in Floriduh with guns.
There are a lot of stupid people in Florida and all other states, but it's not at all clear whom you're referring too. Ordinarily, I would think that someone using foul language in front of an elderly woman might be regarded as stupid enough to elicit a response, but then as you said, there are a lot of stupid people.

Yes.

You threaten me with violence, I have the right to protect myself.
with deadly force over a raised fist? no, you don't have that right.

Forum List

Back