Floating Names for "Super Congress"

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
Reid Taps Murray, Baucus, Kerry for Deficit Panel : Roll Call News

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has tapped three senior Democrats, including the chairwoman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, for the new Joint Committee on Deficit Reduction charged with eliminating at least $1.2 trillion in red ink over the next decade.
Reid picked Sen. Patty Murray (Wash.), who heads the DSCC, as the Democratic co-chair of the committee, as well as Finance Chairman Max Baucus (Mont.) and Foreign Relations Chairman John Kerry (D-Mass.).
hmmm......Interesting, to say the least, choices

Also from the article:
McConnell has yet to name his picks for the new panel but said last week he would do so very soon.
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) also have yet to name their picks. Boehner will choose the other co-chair.

Wonder if Ryan will get a nod.....

Any suggestions or some people you hope you DON'T want to see picked?

Also, I heard someone say that this "3rd Congress" is unconstitutional.
Anyone want to broach that subject and explain?

How about "Supreme Council of Nicea" with Emperor Obama presiding?
:lol:
Goof!

I meant names of members of the Esteemed Committee of Hierarchy Ego (ECHO for short)

Wonder if McCain's gonna try to inject himself into it?
He must think he's got the skills....remember when he took time off of his campaign to "help" with that ever-so-important TARP bullshit?! :doubt:

Goof!

I meant names of members of the Esteemed Committee of Hierarchy Ego (ECHO for short)

He must think he's got the skills....remember when he took time off of his campaign to "help" with that ever-so-important TARP bullshit?! :doubt:

After seeing the first three choices, we can see the democrats are putting up party conies vs actual skills.

Goof!

After seeing the first three choices, we can see the democrats are putting up party conies vs actual skills.

Right?
As much as I dislike Kerry, his forte is Foreign Affairs. How does that qualify for debt-reduction and budget control?
:eusa_eh:

http://www.rollcall.com/news/reid_taps_murray_baucus_kerry_for_deficit_panel-208085-1.html?pos=hlnAlso, I heard someone say that this "3rd Congress" is unconstitutional. Anyone want to broach that subject and explain?
Spending bills are supposed to originate in the House not the "Supreme Council". With only 13 members deciding legislation, now ALL OTHER REPRESENTATIVES are left out of the process! If the remaining reps and senators don't pass what the Supreme Council passes, the Supreme Council will do what they want.

The whole thing is Unconstitutional and whoever participates in it should be arrested and tried for treason.

Goof!

Right?
As much as I dislike Kerry, his forte is Foreign Affairs. How does that qualify for debt-reduction and budget control?
:eusa_eh:

They ran the blue dogs out. So how would any of them qualify?

"Super Congress?" Aint nothing "Super" about this. Just heard they're down to possibly cutting $1.2 Trillion over ten years. $1.2 Trillion? That's just laughable for sure. By then our Debt will be up around $24 Trillion. $1.2 Trillion doesn't even add up to a drop in a bucket. Things are going to get much much worse in this Country. A very bleak future for sure.

Reid picked three who have virtually no chance of compromising on a plan. The Republicans doubled down by choosing six with even less chance of finding compromise on a plan. I'm sure Pelosi will now do the exact same thing.

S&P downgrades us due in large part to political brinksmanship and an inability to reach compromise on cuts and revenues. How does the legislature respond? By appointing 9 (soon to be 12) people who are very, very unlikely to arrive at a compromise.

Welcome to the Single-A rated debt club! Pathetic.

It's astounding that they couldn't agree to put a few gang of six members on it.

$1.2 Trillion in cuts over ten years is hardly "Super." It's actually meaningless. Our Debt is already up to $16 Trillion. It will be up to $24 Trillion or more in ten years. So this "Super Congress" should just be disbanded immediately. It does nothing to solve our problems.

They're going to do just what all bipartisan committees do. punt. Any plan they come up with, is going be loaded with cuts that are well into the future. With an economic slow down or recession approaching, they will have no other choice.

Last edited:
This President already had his own Super Duper Debt Committee and actually refused to follow their recommendations. This was his own Debt Committee for God's sake. This "Super Congress" is just another joke. $1.2 Trillion in cuts over ten years? Absolutely meaningless.

This President already had his own Super Duper Debt Committee and actually refused to follow their recommendations. This was his own Debt Committee for God's sake. This "Super Congress" is just another joke. $1.2 Trillion in cuts over ten years? Absolutely meaningless.

The President can't follow the recommendations of the Simpson-Bowles committee. Only Congress can - and the president can decide whether or not to sign the legislation. All spending originates in the House, where Simpson-Bowles was sent to die.

$1.2 Trillion in cuts over ten years is hardly "Super." It's actually meaningless. Our Debt is already up to $16 Trillion. It will be up to $24 Trillion or more in ten years. So this "Super Congress" should just be disbanded immediately. It does nothing to solve our problems.

I don't think that 6 on the left and 6 on the right will be able to agree on anything.

Is there going to be braking vote?

Ame®icano;3983264 said:

I don't think that 6 on the left and 6 on the right will be able to agree on anything.

Yea don't even count on $1.2 Trillion in cuts. That wont happen. It will be even less when they're finally done bickering. In ten years our Debt will be a ludicrous $24 Trillion or more. Very dark days ahead for this Nation unfortunately.

Ame®icano;3983264 said:

maybe a coin toss

Reid picked three who have virtually no chance of compromising on a plan. The Republicans doubled down by choosing six with even less chance of finding compromise on a plan. I'm sure Pelosi will now do the exact same thing.

S&P downgrades us due in large part to political brinksmanship and an inability to reach compromise on cuts and revenues. How does the legislature respond? By appointing 9 (soon to be 12) people who are very, very unlikely to arrive at a compromise.

Welcome to the Single-A rated debt club! Pathetic.

It's astounding that they couldn't agree to put a few gang of six members on it.

Who else has been tagged?

Also, I heard someone say that this "3rd Congress" is unconstitutional. Anyone want to broach that subject and explain?
Spending bills are supposed to originate in the House not the "Supreme Council". With only 13 members deciding legislation, now ALL OTHER REPRESENTATIVES are left out of the process! If the remaining reps and senators don't pass what the Supreme Council passes, the Supreme Council will do what they want.

The whole thing is Unconstitutional and whoever participates in it should be arrested and tried for treason.

Who's #13? Who is the high priest tie-breaker?

Forum List

Back