Flirting with Disaster

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
As Dick Cheney is so fond of saying: "Big Time!"

Flirting With Disaster
By John Fund, Opinion Journal
April 10, 2006

Democrats must be pinching themselves about their good fortune. Last week, the Republican Congress saw deals on budget reform, immigration reform and extending the Bush tax cuts all collapse within 24 hours.

House and Senate members went home empty-handed to face an increasingly surly electorate, nearly 70% of which now thinks the country is heading in the wrong direction. Both parties are viewed negatively by voters, but it's Republicans who are in charge and stand to lose the most in November elections. Some GOP strategists are making comparisons to how the Democrats appeared to come unglued just prior to their losing Congress in 1994.

For full article: www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110008210

Too many of you are falling for the media circle-jerk. Snap yourselves out of it for cryn' out loud. Conventional wisdom held that the GOP was toast after '00. Remember the threads around here when the Schiavo thing was going on? Every time the wind slightly turns against us it spells THE COMING DOOM OF THE NEXT ELECTION WHERE TEH DEMZ WILL TAKE OVR EVERYTHING N IMPEACH TEH BUSHITLER!!1!!11!ONE! I wish we were more like Democrats. Look at 'em. Bully's party is in the toilet, reduced to people who can only win by America losing. Yet he comes on here all the time, confident as ever.

I mean look: they have a KLANSMAN as a senator, and have no trouble calling US racists.

I really like your fighting spirit and loyalty, Theim, but I think the Republicans will have an uphill battle to keep power in this year’s election. Too much bad press has gone--for the most part--unanswered. The MSM still has enormous power to influence people’s thinking, and it has in a big way since there has been practically no counteroffensive to their message.

The Republicans forget that there are still too many people—Republicans included--who get their daily news coverage from ABC, NBC, CBS, and CNN and think that what they are hearing are the facts—not distorted facts. I’m a strong Republican myself, but I find that I have to search all over the internet to find opposing views to what the mainstream broadcasters have reported. How many people have the time or interest to do that? Very, very few.

Instead of staying home on election day out of frustration as is being predicted, the different factions that make up the Republican Party should seriously consider what the alternative is to their staying home and not voting.

Adam's Apple said:
I really like your fighting spirit and loyalty, Theim, but I think the Republicans will have an uphill battle to keep power in this year’s election. Too much bad press has gone--for the most part--unanswered. The MSM still has enormous power to influence people’s thinking, and it has in a big way since there has been practically no counteroffensive to their message.

The Republicans forget that there are still too many people—Republicans included--who get their daily news coverage from ABC, NBC, CBS, and CNN and think that what they are hearing are the facts—not distorted facts. I’m a strong Republican myself, but I find that I have to search all over the internet to find opposing views to what the mainstream broadcasters have reported. How many people have the time or interest to do that? Very, very few.

Instead of staying home on election day out of frustration as is being predicted, the different factions that make up the Republican Party should seriously consider what the alternative is to their staying home and not voting.

I have to agree with you. I haven't a clue to what people will vote for in the fall, but if there is fallout it will be a combination of factors. 1. The administration has a terrible record for not getting out their good news, (economy and success of tax cuts), and not adequately explaining the bad or challenging, (Iraq). 2. The MSM continues to pound away, again for the most part, unanswered. (Currently the 'Libby 'leak', but earlier NSA, etc) 3. They have turned a deaf ear at best, sometimes flagrantly ignoring a substantial percentage of their base. (Miers, Dubai, immigration).

Forum List

Back