Flexible and cheap

The problem IS THAT SIMPLE moron. Solar energy ONLY PRODUCES 8 hrs a day AT BEST..

Where I live we have 16 hours of daylight in June and that becomes 24 hours of daylight at the arctic circle in more months than just June.
The link has it all figured out for us on daylight hours at least.

That isn't 'sunlight because of some shade areas due to mountains or hills but without getting into complicated trigonometry and geograply details, you can deduct an hour or two from 16 to 24 hours.
There are 24 hours in a day. 24-8 = 16. 16 is TWICE AS MUCH as 8. So you need to generate 2 times as much solar as you generated in the daytime to store for the night.. 6th grade math.. How OLD are you???

If your day has 16 hours of sunlight, then can you say that you only need to generate solar power for 8 hours and then store it to serve your needs during the 8 hours of darkness?

The answer is NO, because it's a little more complicate than that for several more reasons.

Last edited:
Just imagine someone so stupid that they claim what is already being done cannot be done. LOL
It could be a narrowmindedness problem of them thinking that there are no other green energy sources that operate during the dark hours.
Or maybe they're all sleeping during the dark hours and already know, as everybody who isn't stupid knows. the lights get turned out at bedtime! Yeah, that has to be it!

It could be a narrowmindedness problem of them thinking that there are no other green energy sources that operate during the dark hours.
Or maybe they're all sleeping during the dark hours and already know, as everybody who isn't stupid knows. the lights get turned out at bedtime! Yeah, that has to be it!
Hilarious how they all refuse to acknowledge that there are many ways to store excess energy generated by renewables. However, the OP was about portable, light weight, and flexible solar panels. One person can easily carry 20 kw of panel, that makes a quick rollout of solar power for a temporary installation very practical. Thinking in terms of base camps.

Where I live we have 16 hours of daylight in June and that becomes 24 hours of daylight at the arctic circle in more months than just June.
The link has it all figured out for us on daylight hours at least.

That isn't 'sunlight because of some shade areas due to mountains or hills but without getting into complicated trigonometry and geograply details, you can deduct an hour or two from 16 to 24 hours.

If your day has 16 hours of sunlight, then can you say that you only need to generate solar power for 8 hours and then store it to serve your needs during the 8 hours of darkness?

The answer is NO, because it's a little more complicate than that for several more reasons.
Wow. Your a moron and you don't know when to quit being a moron. TDS much ? Moron.... lol . You were owned . Educated , lolol , what a joke ... lemme guess , Biden supporter....

Wow. Your a moron and you don't know when to quit being a moron. TDS much ? Moron.... lol . You were owned . Educated , lolol , what a joke ... lemme guess , Biden supporter....
Of course in the winter months, the dark last 16 hours. However, in the winter months, the Northwest Pacific coast get a lot of wind. So renewables work very well in the Pacific Northwest. By the way, when your only contribution to a thread is insults, then we pretty well realize that a room temperature IQ is posting.

Vancouver Canada is NOT prime solar generation territory because the sun is too low on the horizon year round and DEFINATELY too low in the winter.

Solar panels lose about 50% output 2 hours after sunrise and 2 hours before sunset. THIS has to be taken into account when designing to GUARANTEE meeting the loads.

Just because the sun might never fully set doesn't mean that solar is the answer to generating grid power.

12100-25-1ct-question-digital_image_001.png

For a homeowner in Vancouver, you'd probably never recover the investment because to meet your OWN HOME LOAD -- you need twice as much panel as person in the US southwest.

Nope. Doesn't work that way as I just explained. Your received solar energy on those 16 hours is very low. And even if you DOUBLED the panel space over someone in California - because of tthe low sun angle -- that 16 hour turns into more like 10 hour day to produce any meaningful output..

Even with industrial tracking systems that move the panels to follow the sun -- Brit Columbia is NOT gonna be a huge solar adapter.

Dont mind the title -- it's the kinda hype you've been feasting on that's poisoned your mind. The LARGEST commercial installation in ALL of B.C. seems to be a WIMPY 2MWatt installation. Barely enough for 2000 homes.

Empower Energy has built a number of solar projects, ranging from 7.6 kW residential installations to 200 kW commercial solar farms – in total over 1,300,000 watts.

There are other successful solar farms in southeast BC such as the Nelson Community Solar Garden which is unique in that the project is a centralized solar array where members of the community have invested in the solar energy project on a per panel basis. Thus, the electricity generated is credited to the subscriber’s electric bills in proportion to their investment for 25 years. The Solar Garden was developed through Nelson Hydro’s EcoSave Energy Retrofits Program. With 248 solar modules, the project generates approximately 60 kW.

Solar panels have also been installed on the roofs of the Balfour Seniors’ Centre, the Balfour Community Hall and the Balfour Golf Course clubhouse. After the solar energy heats and powers the buildings, reducing utility bills in the process, any excess power is sold to Nelson Hydro.

This is because you guys are just TOO FAR NORTH to get excited about powering MUCH AT ALL from solar. Granted -- if you live in the remote country -- it helps, but to survive -- you need a lot of tanked propane.

ALL the projects I can find in B.C. TOGETHER would barely power a Carnival Midway.

Hilarious how they all refuse to acknowledge that there are many ways to store excess energy generated by renewables. However, the OP was about portable, light weight, and flexible solar panels. One person can easily carry 20 kw of panel, that makes a quick rollout of solar power for a temporary installation very practical. Thinking in terms of base camps.

Sorry man, when we say STORE ELECTRICITY -- we're not talking about rolling up panels and carrying them. We're talking about HUGE industrial sites with MEGA tons of toxic batteries.

I'll grant that there ARE other electricity storage options. Some are environmentally NOT green and some just cannot be scaled up to more than a few hours of storage for a TINY part of the demand load on the electric grid..

What other methods of LARGE scale electric storage do you like?

I'm the most patient person on USMB.. Just haven't gotten the trophy yet. LOL.. Sorry I snapped at you but the FUTURE of our countries is in jeopardy BECAUSE science and engineering are getting ignored and the folks in charge will WASTE money on anything to the point where we have no money to SAVE OURSELVES from energy issues.

Sorry man, when we say STORE ELECTRICITY -- we're not talking about rolling up panels and carrying them. We're talking about HUGE industrial sites with MEGA tons of toxic batteries.

I'll grant that there ARE other electricity storage options. Some are environmentally NOT green and some just cannot be scaled up to more than a few hours of storage for a TINY part of the demand load on the electric grid..

What other methods of LARGE scale electric storage do you like?

I'm the most patient person on USMB.. Just haven't gotten the trophy yet. LOL.. Sorry I snapped at you but the FUTURE of our countries is in jeopardy BECAUSE science and engineering are getting ignored and the folks in charge will WASTE money on anything to the point where we have no money to SAVE OURSELVES from energy issues.
LOL Note the short sentence about base camps? Like in geological camps and military camps. Right now they are going through the permitting process for a pumped hydro site near Goldendale, Washington that would supply 500,000 households for 12 hours. You are the one ignoring any science and engineering developed after 1960.

Vancouver Canada is NOT prime solar generation territory because the sun is too low on the horizon year round and DEFINATELY too low in the winter.
Your map says its fair, but I don't think the longer daylight hours have been considered.
Solar panels lose about 50% output 2 hours after sunrise and 2 hours before sunset. THIS has to be taken into account when designing to GUARANTEE meeting the loads.
Of course.
Just because the sun might never fully set doesn't mean that solar is the answer to generating grid power.
I would agree that other green sources might be preferable in the arctic.
ALL the projects I can find in B.C. TOGETHER would barely power a Carnival Midway.
I can't say for sure how much solar B.C. is generating but we have a huge amount of power to export from other sources such as hydro, which is at least green light.

Canadian who wouldn't support either US corrupt establishment party. I would move to Canada and support the Liberal party.

I don't even remember what I said that raised their hackles?

Your map says its fair, but I don't think the longer daylight hours have been considered.

Of course.

I would agree that other green sources might be preferable in the arctic.

I can't say for sure how much solar B.C. is generating but we have a huge amount of power to export from other sources such as hydro, which is at least green light.

Residential solar highlights:​

• Currently, residential solar breakevens are less than residential electricity prices in most places in Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan. This means that most homeowners there could expect to save money by installing solar. Many homeowners could also expect to save money with residential solar in Ontario, where homes have smart meters capture “time of day” value. Rebate programs in Nova Scotia and in Alberta make current costs more similar to those that would occur in a low-cost future. This means residential solar would be expected to save homeowners money almost everywhere in Nova Scotia. Homeowners in many places in Alberta might save money, but need smart meters.
  • Residential solar breakevens are also lower than residential electricity prices in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. This means that homeowners could expect to save money by installing solar. However, the cost to install solar in the territories is likely higher than assumed in this study because they are remote. Homeowners in Yukon could also expect to save money with residential solar if smart meters are installed in homes.
  • In a low-cost future scenario, residential solar is expected to save homeowners money in many Canadian communities.
If you experience slow load times with these Tableau dashboards, you can download the entire packaged Tableau file to your computer. Packaged Tableau Workbook: Solar Results [TWBX 30 MB] You will require Tableau Reader to view the file, which is available to download for free.

Just imagine someone so stupid that they claim what is already being done cannot be done. LOL

I never argued that it can't be done, idiot, I said that it is being done under a cover of myriad lies, exaggerations and distortions, and is being done for reasons different from what they are telling everyone, and that in a few generations we will find that the consequences are no better for the planet than what we have now. Maybe worse. It's all about control and an elite group of people getting rich from it. There, maybe you can finally get it through your thick head.

• Residential solar breakevens are also lower than residential electricity prices in the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. This means that homeowners could expect to save money by installing solar. However, the cost to install solar in the territories is likely higher than assumed in this study because they are remote. Homeowners in Yukon could also expect to save money with residential solar if smart meters are installed in homes.
  • In a low-cost future scenario, residential solar is expected to save homeowners money in many Canadian communities.

Thanks for that! I really did expect that even the arctic would be viable for solar due to the 24 hour days. My experience with solar is that it's efficient enough to keep on generated on cloudy days or right up until sunset. Where I am on Vancouver Island the cost of heating is quite low compard to Canada's interior.
And ironically, much warmer that a lot of the US too.. If we see -5C during the winter it's unusual.

Where are you located Old Rocks?

It's all been considered. That map is for consumers wanting to invest in solar panels. Not very scientific, but it's accurate. And in the "twilight" that you call 18 days -- panels just dont produce as much the further you go north. It's a fact. And WHY solar is NOT a "universal solution" for ANY country as a whole
Thanks for that! I really did expect that even the arctic would be viable for solar due to the 24 hour days. My experience with solar is that it's efficient enough to keep on generated on cloudy days or right up until sunset. Where I am on Vancouver Island the cost of heating is quite low compard to Canada's interior.
And ironically, much warmer that a lot of the US too.. If we see -5C during the winter it's unusual.

Where are you located Old Rocks?

In these threads we're generally not talking about homeowners and the silly decisions they make to "break-even" in solar in B.C. We're talking about the NATIONAL DIALOG where scientific/engineering MORONS in govt and special interests are leading the nation into a FATAL showdown with BAD ENERGY POLICY...

Solar and wind are NOT alternatives. They are merely SUPPLEMENTS.. NEVER gonna be 100% solar or wind or solar - wind.. But the mental midgets ARGUING to turn off all our CURRENT means of generating energy TODAY -- are gonna bankrupt the country and KILL people trying and leave HUGE SCARS on the Earth's environment FORCING a bad solution..

It's all been considered. That map is for consumers wanting to invest in solar panels. Not very scientific, but it's accurate. And in the "twilight" that you call 18 days -- panels just dont produce as much the further you go north. It's a fact. And WHY solar is NOT a "universal solution" for ANY country as a whole

In these threads we're generally not talking about homeowners and the silly decisions they make to "break-even" in solar in B.C. We're talking about the NATIONAL DIALOG where scientific/engineering MORONS in govt and special interests are leading the nation into a FATAL showdown with BAD ENERGY POLICY...

Solar and wind are NOT alternatives. They are merely SUPPLEMENTS.. NEVER gonna be 100% solar or wind or solar - wind.. But the mental midgets ARGUING to turn off all our CURRENT means of generating energy TODAY -- are gonna bankrupt the country and KILL people trying and leave HUGE SCARS on the Earth's environment FORCING a bad solution..
I don't agree with your conclusions and I especially don't agree with your labelling of others as morons, mental midgets, or other insults.

I only politely corrected you on your notion of 8 hours daylight - 16 etc., etc. x2, grade six education, etc.
And I believe you have been thoroughly proven wrong on solar power generation not being feasible for B.C., or the arctic for that matter.

I don't agree with your conclusions and I especially don't agree with your labelling of others as morons, mental midgets, or other insults.

But they ARE just that.. AOCortez, Bernie Sanders are the new primadonnas in Congress talking about "the Green New Deal".. They are DESIGNING AMERICA'S FUTURE ENERY SYSTEMS... It's a shame to ANYONE who's worked in Science/Engineering all their lives and should be OBVIOUS that what THEY KNOW about "alternatives" and "green energy" could fit on the back of a postage stamp.
And I believe you have been thoroughly proven wrong on solar power generation not being feasible for B.C., or the arctic for that matter.

I have NOT been proven wrong because after 60 years of having solar panels available -- the total INSTALLED BASE of solar in B.C. is NOT ENOUGH TO POWER A FUCKING CARNIVAL... What's wrong with you people? Go BEAT ON YOUR city, state, national govt to FIX THAT and leave us to dealing with our morons in govt.

Maybe politicians are smarter in B.C. and that's why they dont MANDATE or subsidize solar in a place where it makes no economic sense..

Forum List

Back