Flat Tax

After the top end of the poverty level, yes.

I would agree to stick with a progressive tax IF those who are on public assistance lose the right to vote. There is no logic in having those getting a free ride vote to increase their stipends.

"a tax merely proportionate to individual income would be far from equitable; and this is probably what Smith meant, by declaring it reasonable, that the rich man should contribute to the public expenses, not merely in proportion to the amount of his revenue, but even somewhat more. For my part, I have no hesitation in going further, and saying, that taxation can not be equitable, unless its ratio is progressive."
-- Jean Baptiste Say; from A Treatise on Political Economy Bk. III, Ch.VIII

I'd say ok to a three tier flat tax as long as the first $50,000 was exempt from tax for everyone.

50-150 - 30%
150-250 - 40%
250 up - 55%

Yes a little high but historically very low. We cannot sustain the mounting debt and the poor and middle class cannot pay it down. But it has to be brought under control and paid down, with cuts AND taxes.

A flat tax for everyone with no refunds period cuts out the irs and much more.

galluptax.png

Not much has changed since then: Taxes

Tradition. At least for people descended from Europeans, I don't know about others. Those who make more pay more and that idea predates Marx by centuries.

Tradition. At least for people descended from Europeans, I don't know about others. Those who make more pay more and that idea predates Marx by centuries.

If I remember correctly the first modern income tax in the US was in the early 1900s and was only on those making over $100,000.

If I remember correctly the first modern income tax in the US was in the early 1900s and was only on those making over $100,000.

Income tax yes but the wealthy paid taxes from the very beginning. Property, excise...yadda yadda yadda.

"a tax merely proportionate to individual income would be far from equitable; and this is probably what Smith meant, by declaring it reasonable, that the rich man should contribute to the public expenses, not merely in proportion to the amount of his revenue, but even somewhat more. For my part, I have no hesitation in going further, and saying, that taxation can not be equitable, unless its ratio is progressive."

So?

THe guy who wrote that was british and he thought that Americans should not complain about paying a stamp tax.

THe guy who wrote that was british and he thought that Americans should not complain about paying a stamp tax.

Are we talking about Say or Smith?

Flat tax all the way. Exemption up to say $40k/yr and 15% on every dollar earned after that no matter how it's earned. This has worked well in E.European countries that adopted it. It is the fairest tax of all. It does not use the tax code as a device to redistribute wealth, which is why liberals oppose it. It is simple and amounts to a tax cut because the time spent in preparation is much less. I dont see how anyone without an agenda can oppose it.

Forum List

Back