Flaps Down Wheels Down

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
so! After reading this I am wondering who cleared them to land? There is no runway!
This airport has long been closed. It is where I took my lessons!

Canadian Aircrafts Accidentally Attempt to Land at Old Airport

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - Some Panama City residents got a pretty big shock Tuesday morning. They witnessed a couple of military fighter jets flying abnormally close to the old airport.

"Very loud," said James Robinson, a resident in The Woods Subdivision. "I haven't heard that sound in a long time."

As former military, he knew exactly what kind of aircrafts he saw: CF 18 Hornets. But as to who they were or what they were doing, he couldn't say.

"Wheels down, flaps down is a good indication that somebody's going to put it on the ground," said Robinson.

Robin Gillam-Jenkins was out walking her dog when she saw the two aircrafts - seemingly coming towards them. As a former pilot, she estimated them at about 400 feet.

Hi Willow, how ya doing?

It says in the article that they got in touch with the tower and were told they we're attempting to land at a closed airport.

I want to know what the minor in field emergency was at Tyndall !
Which was the reason they couldn't land there to begin with.

I want to know what the minor in field emergency was at Tyndall !
Which was the reason they couldn't land there to begin with.

Well, that being a military base you will probably never know!

I think the Canadians just got lost

Yeah. Temporarily but it was set right. Reserve fuel on a fighter is only 20 minutes versus 45 minutes on a civilian aircraft. It's easy to lock into the "get down quick" mode when an unexpected divert pops up plus they weren't at their home base. Our Hornet drivers wouldn't be expert on all the local digs when operating in Canada.

Slow news day at that TV station me thinks.

BTW Willow, how far did you go with your training? KPFN right?

Last edited:

Yeah. Temporarily but it was set right. Reserve fuel on a fighter is only 20 minutes versus 45 minutes on a civilian aircraft. It's easy to lock into the "get down quick" mode when an unexpected divert pops up plus they weren't at their home base. Our Hornet drivers wouldn't be expert on all the local digs when operating in Canada.

Slow news day at that TV station me thinks.

BTW Willow, how far did you go with your training? KPFN right?
I got my private pilots license VFR. My hubby got IFR. And btw it is always a slow news day around here.

Forum List

Back