Fixing Communications Gap between U.S. & Arab World

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
U.S. Must Get Its Story Across to Arab World
By Lee Hamilton for The Indianapolis Star
March 14, 2005

Excerpted article

There is a troubling communication gap between the United States and the Arab world. Even with potentially seismic changes in the Middle East since the Iraqi elections, the United States is still widely mistrusted, hated or feared. Public diplomacy must be an important part of how we reverse that trend.

Today, too many Arabs grow up with a distorted and negative view of America. Often our sins are exaggerated, intentions misstated and good deeds unrecognized. We bear some responsibility for these misperceptions. To better communicate with the Arab world and protect the American people, the United States must enhance its efforts to convey our message of freedom, hope, opportunity and justice.

For full story http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/229008-7916-021.html

Adam's Apple said:
U.S. Must Get Its Story Across to Arab World
By Lee Hamilton for The Indianapolis Star
March 14, 2005

Excerpted article

There is a troubling communication gap between the United States and the Arab world. Even with potentially seismic changes in the Middle East since the Iraqi elections, the United States is still widely mistrusted, hated or feared. Public diplomacy must be an important part of how we reverse that trend.

Today, too many Arabs grow up with a distorted and negative view of America. Often our sins are exaggerated, intentions misstated and good deeds unrecognized. We bear some responsibility for these misperceptions. To better communicate with the Arab world and protect the American people, the United States must enhance its efforts to convey our message of freedom, hope, opportunity and justice.

For full story http://www.indystar.com/articles/6/229008-7916-021.html

I don't disagree with his premise, although I don't think we really need to
enhance its efforts to convey our message of freedom, hope, opportunity and justice.
I do not think they will 'like us more' regardless of what we do, the issue at this point is to put some power in the hands of the people, then we'll see what happens...

We'll see if Karen Hughes can fix things to the satisfaction of former Congressman Hamilton. Wish her luck.

A few days ago I read an article about some Iraqi policemen who drove their vehicle between one containing a car bomb and an American military vehicle. The vehicle containing the car bomb blew up and killed the Iraqi policemen. They must have a better opinion of us now to be willing to risk their lives to save that of American soldiers.

Like you, I believe there is a faction of the Arab population that will never be convinced of the truth about America, just like we cannot convince the hard left living right here among us.

Forum List

Back