FIRST READING: Joe Biden stayed in London for free. Why did it cost Canada $400,000?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
We give the monarchy tens of millions of dollar a year, we are a member of the old racket ffs, and we have to pay while the U.S president wisely stays in a U.S owned property?

Yes we sent a large delegation but somebody dropped the ball and is tone deaf to the struggles average Canadians face today.

Broke, Police State Canada is finding every opportunity to make the situation worse, it's guaranteed to get worse I promise you. Tug this dingy with your ship at your own peril...

As the Trudeau government weathers scorn for spending an eyewatering $400,000 on hotel rooms for the Queen’s funeral, the prime minister is proving to be particularly cagey on one specific detail of that weekend: Who among the delegation stayed in an ultra-luxury $6,000 per night hotel suite?

The 281,400-pound bill ($356,981.70) was first revealed last week by Postmedia columnist Brian Lilley, who obtained the figures via an Access to Information request.

The bulk of the bill was paid out to a single hotel, the Corinthia London, which bills itself as one of the top luxury hotels in Great Britain.

The Government of Canada started booking rooms in the hotel just three days after the Queen’s death on Sept. 8. By the eve of the Sept. 21 funeral, Ottawa may have been renting out 31 of the hotel’s 283 suites at an average of about $2,000 each per night.

But at the core of the bill is a five-day stay in the River Suite, a 900-square-foot room complete with “complimentary butler service” and an all-marble bathroom.

The River Suite, which costs about $4 per minute to stay in.

We give the monarchy tens of millions of dollar a year, we are a member of the old racket ffs, and we have to pay while the U.S president wisely stays in a U.S owned property?

Yes we sent a large delegation but somebody dropped the ball and is tone deaf to the struggles average Canadians face today.

Broke, Police State Canada is finding every opportunity to make the situation worse, it's guaranteed to get worse I promise you. Tug this dingy with your ship at your own peril...

As the Trudeau government weathers scorn for spending an eyewatering $400,000 on hotel rooms for the Queen’s funeral, the prime minister is proving to be particularly cagey on one specific detail of that weekend: Who among the delegation stayed in an ultra-luxury $6,000 per night hotel suite?

The 281,400-pound bill ($356,981.70) was first revealed last week by Postmedia columnist Brian Lilley, who obtained the figures via an Access to Information request.

The bulk of the bill was paid out to a single hotel, the Corinthia London, which bills itself as one of the top luxury hotels in Great Britain.

The Government of Canada started booking rooms in the hotel just three days after the Queen’s death on Sept. 8. By the eve of the Sept. 21 funeral, Ottawa may have been renting out 31 of the hotel’s 283 suites at an average of about $2,000 each per night.

But at the core of the bill is a five-day stay in the River Suite, a 900-square-foot room complete with “complimentary butler service” and an all-marble bathroom.

Maybe Joe used Hotels.com. Are you getting all the discounts you should?

We give the monarchy tens of millions of dollar a year
What a load.
On a macro scale it costs Canadians $56,878,538.
“The Governor General and the Lieutenant Governor’s and their households are paid for out of government coffers to perform their roles,” says Tidridge.
According to the financial summary of the Governor General’s office for 2014 to 2015, supporting the appointed body and associated internal services and expenditures cost $20.86 million. There was also $22.06 million in additional support from organizations like the Department of National Defence, the RCMP, the National Capital Commission – which focuses on preserving official residences – as well as Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada among other federal departments.
That doesn’t include one-off costs like hosting the Queen and the Royal Family, minting special coins in honour of the Queen or printing special edition stamps.
Case in point, the historic Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in Canada cost about $7.5 million and the royal homecoming visit from Prince William and the Duchess of Cornwall Kate Middleton cost taxpayers just over $649,000.

We feel your pain. I don't know what, if anything, it cost the USA to be there, but our government seems to consider $400k as chump change.

Let's see if I can cheer shockedcanadian up a little bit.

This song was a tremendous hit in Latin America in the 70's...

I suspect it's not well known in Canada itself (at least I vaguely recall having read something about it)... For every 100 argentines, Colombians, Brazilians, Mexicans who remenber this tune you have only 1 canadian or american who has ever heard it even though most people still don't know the song was about Canada... :biggrin:

The canadian users like Toro, Donald, shockedcanadian can tell me if this is true or not.

It's a nice melody, anyway... you won't regret it if you give it a try.

See shockedcanadian?? there are an awful lot of good things about Canada.

I just don't understand the chorus:

Look out California...
I gotta warn ya
Here comes Canada

Since when Canada pose any kind of danger to tourism in California?

A danger to tourism in the South Pole I understand but a danger to Cali? :eusa_think:

I'd pay 400 grand not to have that dumb motherfucker show up here too.

Forum List

Back