Firefox Fixed

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
Been seeing a lot of ads and general trash since Friday?

Mozilla has admitted they "broke" Firefox with an update that disabled pretty much all ad-blocking:

Mozilla is fixing a bug that stopped Firefox extensions from working

Last night, Firefox users noticed an issue with their browsers: they couldn’t install extensions, and their existing add-ons stopped working. Mozilla says that the issue is due to a certificate expiration, and that it’s working to fix the issue.

In a blog post, Mozilla says that it’s identified the issue, and it’s begun rolling out a fix for users. “The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours. No active steps need to be taken to make add-ons work again.” (Emphasis Mozilla’s.) The company says that users shouldn’t try deleting and re-installing extensions, because it’ll remove any accumulated data. The fix that’s being rolled out won’t apply to Firefox ESR or Firefox for Android, and Mozilla says that it’s working to release a patch there as well.

Howsumever.....the bit about "automatically applied" is not necessarily correct. I noticed a lot of junk on this site that I didn't used to see. So I tried using the built-in Firefox updater and immediately the ad-blocking/no-scripting was restored. Unfortunately it ignored all previous settings so several sites now have features blocked that I had authorized long, long ago.

Perhaps more updates coming....maybe......possibly.....

Fuck firefox. I used to use it until it became bloatware. I use Chrome now. Works perfect and is cross compatible with all of my devices.

Mozilla has admitted they "broke" Firefox with an update that disabled pretty much all ad-blocking:

Last night, Firefox users noticed an issue with their browsers: they couldn’t install extensions, and their existing add-ons stopped working. Mozilla says that the issue is due to a certificate expiration, and that it’s working to fix the issue.

In a blog post, Mozilla says that it’s identified the issue, and it’s begun rolling out a fix for users. “The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours. No active steps need to be taken to make add-ons work again.” (Emphasis Mozilla’s.) The company says that users shouldn’t try deleting and re-installing extensions, because it’ll remove any accumulated data. The fix that’s being rolled out won’t apply to Firefox ESR or Firefox for Android, and Mozilla says that it’s working to release a patch there as well.

Howsumever.....the bit about "automatically applied" is not necessarily correct. I noticed a lot of junk on this site that I didn't used to see. So I tried using the built-in Firefox updater and immediately the ad-blocking/no-scripting was restored. Unfortunately it ignored all previous settings so several sites now have features blocked that I had authorized long, long ago.

Anything beyond 56 is crap. SJWs took it over, fail!

I remember I could string 9 anon proxies together with Mozilla and have it work. I suppose those days are gone.

A certificate expiration. Isn't that interesting.

Lucy Hamilton Kat flacaltenn

:45:

:45:

I know, right. Lotta that going around.

I've been error-free all day. That makes one day in a row.

My firefox instructions for forcing an update didn't comport with my version of firefox. The link they gave me was garbage. I uninstalled it, erased the left behind stuff, reinstalled, and only then did my addons I put back work.

My ad-blocker and privacy badger/possum were shut down last night and still haven't returned. But only on my XP desktop (yeah, I know, so bite me) but not on my W7 pro laptop. I tried older versions but they were group-blocked so I didn't bother again after a half hour of trying. Thanks for posting this because I came here to see if anybody else had this happen. They stopped supporting XP and I believe are trying to get rid of us holdouts.
casty.gif

BTW, I deleted the three programs after their supposed "repaired in an hour or two" never happened. I don't know what "accumulated data" they'd have on an ad-blocker. I believe they were HACKED and don't know their ass from their elbow how to fix it. I'm about to switch to another browser.....wait, nobody supports XP anymore..the best OS Billy Gates and his band of thieves ever came up with.

Last edited:
TA DA! In the FF menu there is an ad-blocker called "Host" and it WORKS! :hyper: I'll go see if it works elsewhere, especially in YouTube.

Okay so we now have this error message in multiple Browsers with multiple peoples getting the thing.

TA DA! In the FF menu there is an ad-blocker called "Host" and it WORKS! :hyper: I'll go see if it works elsewhere, especially in YouTube.

"Host" didn't block YouTube ads but I found an older version of one from FF that did. I also found an extension that blocks the "age" requirement to see certain YT vids. As far as I know, you had to have a Chrome browser to do that, sign in, blah blah. Since Chrome dropped XP and Google is little more than a fascist enterprise quietly banning conservative thought in this country, while helping the Chinese spy on their dissidents, I wouldn't use Chrome for any reason.

My ad-blocker and privacy badger/possum were shut down last night and still haven't returned. But only on my XP desktop (yeah, I know, so bite me) but not on my W7 pro laptop. I tried older versions but they were group-blocked so I didn't bother again after a half hour of trying. Thanks for posting this because I came here to see if anybody else had this happen. They stopped supporting XP and I believe are trying to get rid of us holdouts.
casty.gif

BTW, I deleted the three programs after their supposed "repaired in an hour or two" never happened. I don't know what "accumulated data" they'd have on an ad-blocker. I believe they were HACKED and don't know their ass from their elbow how to fix it. I'm about to switch to another browser.....wait, nobody supports XP anymore..the best OS Billy Gates and his band of thieves ever came up with.

I still have an XP desktop :thup: Old bugger's at least 15.
I use it basically for archiving.

Okay so we now have this error message in multiple Browsers with multiple peoples getting the thing.

I noted this in the PM but for public consumption, I don't know that what Henri's referring to here with Firefox is the same error we were getting. What it has in common is it was triggered by an "expired certificate". But I do remember the error that we got last week was already reported in Chrome, Brave, Firefox, Opera and Safari. Just thought it was curious that multiple (?) expired certificates were bubbling up at the same time.

That particular USMB error seems to have fixed itself, either that or the details of who fixed it and how are available only to select members of the inner sanctum of the Most Secret Man Behind the Curtain. :uhh:

Except that quote doesn't have ANYTHING in particular to do with USMB certificate issue.. The entire industry is totally screwed up on this certificate thing. There's no real authority to stablilize or issue certificates other than the type of encryption that's related...

I still have an XP desktop :thup: Old bugger's at least 15.
I use it basically for archiving.

I got mine (Dell Dimension E521) in early '08. I've upped the RAM to 3G and have SP3. The processor is not as fast as my W7 laptop, but close....I don't do gaming other than online card and board games (TheZone has banned me twice because I won't tolerate them cheating...anybody who cheats at backgammon should be flogged). The only hardware problem has been to replace the backup battery (which still had juice) and the on-switch (loose) that must be pushed in from the left or it hangs and I have to unplug and restore settings. I've defied the various browsers who quit us XPer's and various tech thugs who mock us and swear our security is a screen door in a submarine. I've been hacked a couple times but dealt with it and come up clean...as long as my AV vendor keeps supporting me, I'm good. I'd never buy anything but a Dell..my W98 (with an upgrade to XP) machine lasted ten years.

My Firefox is back to working correctly now with Adblocker.

While it was screwed up over the weekend I used Bear. It is a free no frills web browser with built in ad blocking.

Forum List

Back