Firefox Fixed

Been seeing a lot of ads and general trash since Friday?

Mozilla has admitted they "broke" Firefox with an update that disabled pretty much all ad-blocking:

Mozilla is fixing a bug that stopped Firefox extensions from working

Last night, Firefox users noticed an issue with their browsers: they couldn’t install extensions, and their existing add-ons stopped working. Mozilla says that the issue is due to a certificate expiration, and that it’s working to fix the issue.

In a blog post, Mozilla says that it’s identified the issue, and it’s begun rolling out a fix for users. “The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours. No active steps need to be taken to make add-ons work again.” (Emphasis Mozilla’s.) The company says that users shouldn’t try deleting and re-installing extensions, because it’ll remove any accumulated data. The fix that’s being rolled out won’t apply to Firefox ESR or Firefox for Android, and Mozilla says that it’s working to release a patch there as well.

Howsumever.....the bit about "automatically applied" is not necessarily correct. I noticed a lot of junk on this site that I didn't used to see. So I tried using the built-in Firefox updater and immediately the ad-blocking/no-scripting was restored. Unfortunately it ignored all previous settings so several sites now have features blocked that I had authorized long, long ago.

Perhaps more updates coming....maybe......possibly.....

A certificate expiration. Isn't that interesting.

Lucy Hamilton Kat flacaltenn

:45:

Yeah, Firefox broke teh adblock. It can be fixed in about:config

1st step: Download the Adblock Plus by right clicking and "Save link as".

2nd step: Type "about:config" in browser.

3rd step: Search for "xpinstall.signatures.required" and toggle it to off/false.

4th step: Double-click Adblock Install and install it.

Last edited:
For the love of God, why do we need to moderate in the Computer Forum?
Stay on topic.
Screenshot-2.png

Firefox problem fixed? News to me. I just ran MX Linux 18.2 in Live CD mode. Went to Firefox Addons page for Popup Blocker Ultimate and Incognito Adblocker. Got the same old BS as couple weeks ago 'Download failed, check connection and try again'. They call it a certificate error on various forums, but I say it is just more of the same old Mozilla Mothership manipulation to try and force you to upgrade to the latest Firefox version, by holding the addons for ransom til you do. My solution is to ditch Firefox on MX Linux, and move to Waterfox where the addons page gives no 'Download failed, check connection and try again' malarkey. I have also jettisoned Firefox on XP Pro, and replaced it with Mypal and Centaury browsers. Screw Firefox and Chrome.

Forum List

Back