Firefly

I will shoulder some of the blame. I did not watch it when it originally aired, but on DVD. Wish the show had continued and the movie never would have had to happen.

But that was the problem, I think.

I did watch them when the originally aired, but the decisions Fox made in the order they were run really actually did hurt the show. For instance, the two-hour pilot which pretty much set up all the characters wasn't run until the show was already slated to be cancelled. instead they wrote a "second pilot" which didn't have a lot of the set-up material in establishing who the characters were and what their relationships were.

This was a critical mistake in promoting the show and helping it develop its fan base.

Other episodes, like the second appearance of the Saffron Character, weren't aired, so the nice setup of the first time the character was introduced didn't get the payoff.

My shameful secret is the source of much deep-seated guilt: I didn't watch the broadcasts at all - I downloaded the eps the night after they aired and watched them with my sons on our computer. I was, and still am, an avowed TV hater and couldn't subject myself to the interruptions and brain-fuckage that is broadcast television.

I dunno, it's not like we were a Neilson family, but ...

After all these years I think Joss Whedon must shoulder most of the blame - for ever thinking a series like Firefly might fit in Fox's line-up in the first place. He, and all of us fans, would have been much better served on one of the cable networks, where they seem to be willing to play the 'long game' and let quality shows develop.

Well, a couple of the actors made out pretty good.

Castle. Suits.

Oh yeah, remember the gal on Castle in her vampire role in one of the series where I guy worked for a museum that had every artifact in the history of the world? {Lord, but I wish I could remember the name of it!]

Really? That good huh. Have not seen it myself but I am going to have to watch it now. All the good shows end far to early. I, for one, was pissed at the end to SGU. That was an awesome show and was ended far to early.
If you have Netflix, you can put the entire series in your instant queue.

Was cancelled because of you. You suck.

Actually, it was cancelled because the Fox Network ran the episodes out of sequence, so they made less sense, they didn't promote the show properly and they put it in a crappy time slot.

I think what happened is that they went to Joss Whedon and said, "Give us another Buffy", and Joss came back with this weird space show that had Chinese-speaking Cowboys in it, and they said, "What the fuck?"

It was a great show, and it is an acquired taste.

Pretty much like Futurama and their sorry attempt to ressurrect Doctor Who, Fox shouldn't be trusted with any Science Fiction franchise.

Yah, they also let Fringe lapse. It was an interesting show, but I got more out of it by getting the DVD sets from the library. (Plus, it was hard to watch during supper - Mrs. didn't like all the dissections, etc. Plus you can turn on the captions & rewatch key scenes. V. enjoyable, I recommend it. Dr. Bishop was a hoot!)

Was cancelled because of you. You suck.

Actually, it was cancelled because the Fox Network ran the episodes out of sequence, so they made less sense, they didn't promote the show properly and they put it in a crappy time slot.

I think what happened is that they went to Joss Whedon and said, "Give us another Buffy", and Joss came back with this weird space show that had Chinese-speaking Cowboys in it, and they said, "What the fuck?"

It was a great show, and it is an acquired taste.

Pretty much like Futurama and their sorry attempt to ressurrect Doctor Who, Fox shouldn't be trusted with any Science Fiction franchise.

Yah, they also let Fringe lapse. It was an interesting show, but I got more out of it by getting the DVD sets from the library. (Plus, it was hard to watch during supper - Mrs. didn't like all the dissections, etc. Plus you can turn on the captions & rewatch key scenes. V. enjoyable, I recommend it. Dr. Bishop was a hoot!)

Fringe was awesome. They did not keep focus as much as I would have liked and the end was suspect but it was a good show.

They are getting rare these days. It is hard to find a quality shoe that is worth the time. The worst part is that the companies usually fuck them up and cancel them prematurely.

OP - I apologize, I didn't know about the show at the time! I swear! I was in middle school!

Of course if this thread is about Firefly the poster then ignore my previous statement. And keep on flying.

This thread is about the greatest television series to ever air.

Then I wish I could rep you a thousand times. Have you seen the semi-reunion on syfy from earlier this year?

You best not be fibbing, or ill cuss at you in an odd mix of Chinese.

Far and away the best sci-fi space programs....
Out of Curiosity when did it first air on FOX?

Last edited:
Fantastic show...lousy name.

I didn't watch it on tv...fell in love with the movie and went back and watched the series on netflix, then bought the DVDs, wore them out, now re-watch them on Hulu Plus.

Firefly was special...it's a shame it lasted only half a season.

:(

*cough cough* Farscape *cough cough*

Farscape was pretty damn good. I enjoyed SGU more though and Farscape actually had its time. The ending was not as good as it could have been but it was given the time that it deserved and was not overly rushed. SG-1 on the other hand, excellent show with one of the worst endings that has ever been handed to a sci-fi show. Disgusting.

Farscape was pretty damn good. I enjoyed SGU more though and Farscape actually had its time. The ending was not as good as it could have been but it was given the time that it deserved and was not overly rushed. SG-1 on the other hand, excellent show with one of the worst endings that has ever been handed to a sci-fi show. Disgusting.

I haven't watched SGU or Caprica or the new Battlestar Galactica, or the new V yet...but they are on my list.

I just bought Falling Skies and Haven on DVD so, we'll see how that goes.

I'm almost afraid to watch new series on TV due to cancellation.

I really enjoyed The River and Terra Nova...both cancelled...and Zero Hour was cancelled after only three episodes. The networks are screwing themselves IMO.

I haven't watched SGU or Caprica or the new Battlestar Galactica, or the new V yet...but they are on my list.

I really enjoyed The River and Terra Nova...both cancelled...and Zero Hour was cancelled after only three episodes. The networks are screwing themselves IMO.

Wow I did not know that Zero Hour was cancelled. That is a shame since the show was getting better with each episode. Networks are not giving a series time to catch on anymore. Either they are an immediate hit or they are cancelled.

This thread is about the greatest television series to ever air.

Then I wish I could rep you a thousand times. Have you seen the semi-reunion on syfy from earlier this year?

You best not be fibbing, or ill cuss at you in an odd mix of Chinese.

Yup it happened a couple of months ago. Everyone but Inara I think was there for a panel and a backstage interview. Everyone mentioned that they'd like to revisit the universe (including Josh Whedon) but I doubt if it will ever happen.

I watched SG-1 intermitently... just couldn't get into it.

I watched the first few episodes of BSG, but frankly, they used the same names and settings as the awful "Mormons in Space" 1970's series, and I just couldn't take it seriously.

I did watch the New V, which wasn't bad, but they left us hanging.

Really? That good huh. Have not seen it myself but I am going to have to watch it now. All the good shows end far to early. I, for one, was pissed at the end to SGU. That was an awesome show and was ended far to early.

I was upset they didn't really end it.

Are you talking about the way the series of SG1 ended, or are you including The Ark of Truth DVD which effectively ended the series?

I finished Larry Niven's Ringworld novel today...I discovered what may be the origins of the companion guild.

Forum List

Back