FIRED - Colorado Springs fires cops & firefighters

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
FIRED - Colorado Springs fires cops & firefighters -- how's that workin' out for the tax cutters?

Anthropogenic warming-------Anthropogenic response

Waldo Canyon Fire: Wildfire Near Colorado Springs Now 70 Percent Contained; Reconstruction Effort Dire

✄snip>

The devastation from the fire isn't the only thing residents need worry about -- thieves are taking advantage of the evacuated areas and looting homes. At least 32 homes were burglarized and dozens of evacuees' cars were broken into in the evacuation zones since the fire erupted about a week ago, according to Bloomberg. There have been three arrests so far.

The string of burglaries has some wondering if Colorado Springs' anti-tax movement is partially to blame for a lack of resources to protect the area effectively. Bloomberg reports that the city has 50 fewer police and 39 fewer firefighters than five years ago.

In 2010, Colorado Springs had a nearly $28 million budget shortfall so the city government sold police helicopters on the Internet, cut firefighter and police jobs -- including burglary investigators, according to The Denver Post -- asked residents to volunteer to mow public green spaces, and turned off more than thirty percent of the city's streetlights.

✄snip>

FIRED - Colorado Springs fires cops & firefighters -- how's that workin' out for the tax cutters?

Waldo Canyon Fire: Wildfire Near Colorado Springs Now 70 Percent Contained; Reconstruction Effort Dire

✄snip>

The devastation from the fire isn't the only thing residents need worry about -- thieves are taking advantage of the evacuated areas and looting homes. At least 32 homes were burglarized and dozens of evacuees' cars were broken into in the evacuation zones since the fire erupted about a week ago, according to Bloomberg. There have been three arrests so far.

The string of burglaries has some wondering if Colorado Springs' anti-tax movement is partially to blame for a lack of resources to protect the area effectively. Bloomberg reports that the city has 50 fewer police and 39 fewer firefighters than five years ago.

In 2010, Colorado Springs had a nearly $28 million budget shortfall so the city government sold police helicopters on the Internet, cut firefighter and police jobs -- including burglary investigators, according to The Denver Post -- asked residents to volunteer to mow public green spaces, and turned off more than thirty percent of the city's streetlights.

✄snip>

But OBAMA bad!

This particular mentality is evident in the money the Forest Service gets. They are told that they need to thin the forests, set controlled burns, and take better care of the land under their stewardship. Yet, by the end of fire season they have used almost all of their resources to fight the fires. And are told, tough shit, stay in your budget.

The warming up and drying out of the southwest and mountainess states was predicted decades ago. Yet any kind of preperation for the results were obstructed by the oil patch senators and representatives. Just cannot go around admitting that global warming is real, and a danger to be prepared for.

This video is nearly seven years old. Check out the predictions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcuWaa6bn4g&feature=related]Global Climate Change: What's Ahead - YouTube[/ame]

✄snip>

✄snip>

Is the import of your tale that no matter the compensation, reducing the municipal workforce is never appropriate?

Bet you don't feel that way about healthcare costs.

I couldn't find the salaries of the individuals in question in your link....do you know it?
Or is this not important to you?

This might not interest you, as well....

"Study: County firefighters’ average compensation dips to $175,000 from $189,000"
Study: County firefighters' average compensation dips to $175,000 from $189,000 - Thursday, March 8, 2012 | 4:18 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Is my impression correct: the less you know, the greater the propensity that you'll vote Democrat.

Forest fires are a natural occurrence and if one lives in an area prone to fires then one should be willing to put up with the consequences.

What I don't understand is why people don't build and maintain fire breaks around their neighborhoods

I guess it's because they're waiting for the fucking government to take care of them and we all know how well that works.

And how much overtime do these people put in? How about the factor of the dangers that they face? Also, they have to be licensed EMT's, at least in my state.

Now, as just a journey level millwright, I have made six figures a few times, when the overtime was intense. The firefighters face even greater physical challenges and dangers. I know that for a fact, when it comes to forest fires, been there, done that.

But PC is OK with people that work in the financial sector, make millions of dollar crashing the system, while the greatest danger they face is a paper cut.

The men and women that are on the line in these fires deserve to be compensated very well.

If neighborhoods were planned properly we could just let the fires burn as they would have naturally.

It' is folly to think that we can contain forces of nature

Forest fires are a natural occurrence and if one lives in an area prone to fires then one should be willing to put up with the consequences.

What I don't understand is why people don't build and maintain fire breaks around their neighborhoods

I guess it's because they're waiting for the fucking government to take care of them and we all know how well that works.

Well, I do think that we need to make some rules concerning mixing housing and forests. If you fail to use materials that will not burn on all exterior surfaces, you do not get a building permit. No insurance, and no government compensation for fire damage.

But then we are back to government regulations again, aren't we. And you 'Conservatives' want none of that.

If neighborhoods were planned properly we could just let the fires burn as they would have naturally.

Given the extreme dryness of the forests at present in the Southwest, they will all be crown fires, and that is not 'natural' fire state.

What we are seeing in the Southwest is the result of man's influencing nature. The heating and drying of that area was predicted decades ago, and we are seeing the predictions come true. The scientists even specifically stated that the fires that would result would be epic in nature.

Well, I do think that we need to make some rules concerning mixing housing and forests. If you fail to use materials that will not burn on all exterior surfaces, you do not get a building permit. No insurance, and no government compensation for fire damage.

But then we are back to government regulations again, aren't we. And you 'Conservatives' want none of that.

Yeah god fucking forbid people actually take care of themselves.

It is not a big deal to establish and maintain fire breaks around populated areas.

If you want to build a house in the middle of a forest that is prone to wildfires then tough shit. You deal with the consequences. The fucking government need not be involved at all.

Yeah god fucking forbid people actually take care of themselves.

It is not a big deal to establish and maintain fire breaks around populated areas.

If you want to build a house in the middle of a forest that is prone to wildfires then tough shit. You deal with the consequences. The fucking government need not be involved at all.

Forbidding will "God" not! Lose the planet, humans will. Fucktards, are many!

Like little greenies, not many are. Big-ass bitches!

And how much overtime do these people put in? How about the factor of the dangers that they face? Also, they have to be licensed EMT's, at least in my state.

Now, as just a journey level millwright, I have made six figures a few times, when the overtime was intense. The firefighters face even greater physical challenges and dangers. I know that for a fact, when it comes to forest fires, been there, done that.

But PC is OK with people that work in the financial sector, make millions of dollar crashing the system, while the greatest danger they face is a paper cut.

The men and women that are on the line in these fires deserve to be compensated very well.

I can see why you'd like to change the subject, as you have no defense of so vacuous a post...

...at the risk of pummeling a cadaverous equus, you support folks with family incomes of $50,000 paying municipal workers 3-4-5 times that in salary, and continuing to do so for another 40 or 50 years after they retire.

Let me guess: Democrat?

Ann Coulter a retard is, hmmm?

Gore's Global Warming Religion | Conservative News, Views & Books

No matter how much liberals try to dress up their nutty superstitions about global warming as “science,” which only six-fingered lunatics could doubt, scratch a global warming “scientist” and you get a religious fanatic.

--------------

A psycho-sociopath with a vagina is Ann Coulter, yesss!

Ann Coulter on Global Warming and Faggots: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" | Atlantic Free Press - Hard Truths for Hard Times

She was fired from the conservative National Review when she turned in a column offering a final solution to the Muslim problem: “We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.”

Among her other numerous rants:

“I think we ought to nuke North Korea right now just to give the rest of the world a warning. ... They’re a major threat. I just think it would be fun to nuke them and have it be a warning to the rest of the world.”

Ms. Coulter thinks it would be “fun” to launch a preemptive nuclear attack.

Not surprisingly, her book Treason defended and praised Joseph McCarthy, one of the darkest figures in American history. Arnold Beichman, a conservative from the Hoover Institution, reviewed Treason for the conservative Washington Times. His assessment: “ tried to read Miss Coulter’s book and failed. Life is too short to read pages and pages of rant.”

------------------------

HEY! LOOK AT SOME SCIENCE, Political C-word:

Climate Change: Evidence

Given the extreme dryness of the forests at present in the Southwest, they will all be crown fires, and that is not 'natural' fire state.

What we are seeing in the Southwest is the result of man's influencing nature. The heating and drying of that area was predicted decades ago, and we are seeing the predictions come true. The scientists even specifically stated that the fires that would result would be epic in nature.

So, you are saying that the Southwest used to be lushly rained upon like Portland?

Liberals will take any tragedy and turn it political..

We saw what they did with Katrina, now this

Ann Coulter a retard is, hmmm?

Gore's Global Warming Religion | Conservative News, Views & Books

No matter how much liberals try to dress up their nutty superstitions about global warming as “science,” which only six-fingered lunatics could doubt, scratch a global warming “scientist” and you get a religious fanatic.

--------------

A psycho-sociopath with a vagina is Ann Coulter, yesss!

Ann Coulter on Global Warming and Faggots: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" | Atlantic Free Press - Hard Truths for Hard Times

She was fired from the conservative National Review when she turned in a column offering a final solution to the Muslim problem: “We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.”

Among her other numerous rants:

“I think we ought to nuke North Korea right now just to give the rest of the world a warning. ... They’re a major threat. I just think it would be fun to nuke them and have it be a warning to the rest of the world.”

Ms. Coulter thinks it would be “fun” to launch a preemptive nuclear attack.

Not surprisingly, her book Treason defended and praised Joseph McCarthy, one of the darkest figures in American history. Arnold Beichman, a conservative from the Hoover Institution, reviewed Treason for the conservative Washington Times. His assessment: “ tried to read Miss Coulter’s book and failed. Life is too short to read pages and pages of rant.”

------------------------

HEY! LOOK AT SOME SCIENCE, Political C-word:

Climate Change: Evidence

Watch your language...

....you're not talking to your folks.

the fires jumped the fire breaks.

It's no coincidence when you look at the Western forest fires that the Indian owned and managed lands end up in better shape at fire season than the ones managed by the Forest Service and the BLM and state organizations..

Indians have been practicing PREVENTATIVE forest fire suppression for over 10,000 years. And the consistentcy of practice produces more productive land.

OTH -- all forests managed by our political leaders have been ping-ponged between hands-off wilderness edicts and controlled burning gone wild. So before we ask HOW MUCH it costs to fight the fires -- we ought to figure out whether we are gonna MANAGE the forests or ignore them as much as possible. Obviously, the enviro-whack orgs don't see a need for many degrees in "forest management" and have lobbied for reduction in prevention practices which results in CATASTROPHIC fires.

Yet another example of Lefties ignoring science... Right Chris/RDean??

Last edited:
Watch your language....you're not talking to your folks.

Writing stuff for fucktards to puzzle at is a specialty, PopoC-word.

Let's look at some more science:

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Future disruptions to fire activity will threaten ecosystems and human well-being throughout the world, yet there are few fire projections at global scales and almost none from a broad range of global climate models (GCMs). Here we integrate global fire datasets and environmental covariates to build spatial statistical models of fire probability at a 0.5° resolution and examine environmental controls on fire activity.

Fire models are driven by climate norms from 16 GCMs (A2 emissions scenario) to assess the magnitude and direction of change over two time periods, 2010–2039 and 2070–2099.

-------------------

Can you believe somebody doesn't believe in any of the following:

1. greenhouse effect (come ON, atmospheric molecules with 3 atoms or more)
2. global climate change (the climate will heat up and oceans will acidify)
3 human causes, for GW, which include cars and chainsaws (humans did it, OK?)
4. the drug war is expensive AND costly, preventing proper allocation of funds
5. we will re-green or lose much human habitat (heard of MASS EXTINCTIONS?)

But Ann Coulter sure seems to have her panties in a bunch, trying to catch on!

Last edited:
Actually the OP answers it own question with the links provided..

The Mayor Says

Bach said the city is on the path toward financial implosion anyway because of overly generous pensions and too many parks.

“Forget the fire,” said the mayor, whose office has an easel with a chart depicting Colorado Springs’s financial status, after a briefing on the blaze June 30. “At our current cost curve, we’ll be insolvent in eight years.”

Bach said the financial situation “certainly has affected our ability to take care of other things like parks and keeping the streetlights on.”

It hasn’t affected the handling of the wildfire, he said.

And the fire chief says.....
Carey and Fire Chief Rich Brown said they are facing the same kind of cuts and budget restrictions as public-safety forces across the country. The reduction in manpower hasn’t affected their ability to respond to the wildfire, they said in interviews this weekend.

On June 26, when near-hurricane force winds caused a firestorm that swept into the city, “I don’t care if we had 2,000 people, there’s nothing we could have done,” Brown said. The city has 413 firefighters and recently graduated its first new class of recruits in five years, he said.

Working Together
Carey said the reduction in manpower has forced police to work more closely with the fire department and other agencies.

“That’s the emerging trend of public safety,” Carey said. “We can’t afford to have a surge capacity, maximum capacity every day for these kinds of situations. You have to think meaner and leaner, and have a plan that includes asking for outside help.”

Any community that staffs DAILY for the 50 year event --- is gonna be suffering more than turning off 1/3 of their streetlights to pay for pensions..

Forum List

Back