Finnick Odair . . .

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
. . . . the black kitten born under our shed and who worked his way into our home and hearts has been coughing for about 2 weeks or less. Today I noticed that he has chest congestion too, especially after he's been sleeping. I can hear it when I put my ear up to his chest. Looking things up ... cats can get asthma. ???? He doesn't seem sick, no sneezing, no mucous in nose/eyes, he's eating.

We got new carpeting in the basement (it flooded about a month or so ago) and he sleeps down there at night. Could he be reacting to the new carpet?? Presents a problem as he can't roam the house at night, Shadow old cat is old and grumpy and they just fight.

Calling the vet tomorrow to take him over.

G'luck with that. :thup:

Could there be mold in the basement?

I have no doubt that there was when we had the old carpet. He was fine then. We got rid of the mold and this all started well after that but maybe that set off a reaction in him? Maybe he has a cold (he doesn't have any other symptoms though) or bronchitis? Don't know, taking him over to the vet in 20 mins. I can see his stomach and chest working as he's breathing.

Just got back from the vet. She said he has asthma/inflammation in his lungs. Apparently it isn't uncommon for cats. It was news to me! She said he doesn't have congestion (perhaps I was hearing flem) but his lungs are working harder than she expected to hear, especially for a young cat.

She took an xray and showed me where there were pockets of lighter gray color, meaning those spots showed that he wasn't getting as much air into his lungs.

He's on prednisone for two weeks, tapering down till it's gone, then we'll see. Finn and I are kindred spirits, as after I got super sick last summer (after my moms' funeral) I also developed bronchial spasms/possible asthma.

No idea what the cause is but my guess is that the new rug is probably exacerbating his symptoms. My chest has been tighter this past week. Could be the weather changing too, windows have been open.

He is a cat who was very scared when we found him and continues to be so when people come into the house, but most especially when men folk come in and most very especially when my brother comes over. He's just louder in speaking I guess and poor Finn just runs and hides, which is a shame because my brother loves cats. This cat was scared at the vet but not overly and was so good. He snuggled into me when the vet was examining him and was fine when she took him back for xrays. He's wiped out now though, snoozing on the floor.

When you pulled out the old rug that may have stirred things up and there may have been stuff in the air from that even though you have new carpet. I have a cat who got asthma/allergy symptoms certain times of the year. I think it was prednisone he was given, that's a steroid, right?

Anyway, after a couple of episodes and treatments, it went away and he never got it again after that.

When you pulled out the old rug that may have stirred things up and there may have been stuff in the air from that even though you have new carpet. I have a cat who got asthma/allergy symptoms certain times of the year. I think it was prednisone he was given, that's a steroid, right?

Anyway, after a couple of episodes and treatments, it went away and he never got it again after that.

He's been sleeping down there since the day we bought him into the house and the hubs yesterday reminded me that he has had a little cough (just here and there, very sporadic) since he was little. I had forgotten that he used to do that. He stopped for a long while.

I was just watching him watch the birds outside and he is no longer breathing from his stomach with his chest moving front to back as he sits ... that's what he was doing yesterday. He doesn't seem to be 'breathing hard' like yesterday ... he's only had one pill of the prednisone. I'm hoping that it's mild enough to just keep under control w/meds on occasion or that it goes away.

He's so darn cute.

New carpet is often very toxic.

Some years ago, I got rid of all carpeting, haven't had carpeting in any house for almost 20 years but from day one, I noticed I felt better and my pets had fewer issues. And that was all older carpeting.

If it were me, I would research on line about new carpet allergies.

Meanwhile, make that one change - don't let her down there - and see if there are any changes in her condition.

He's been sleeping down there since the day we bought him into the house and the hubs yesterday reminded me that he has had a little cough (just here and there, very sporadic) since he was little. I had forgotten that he used to do that. He stopped for a long while.

I was just watching him watch the birds outside and he is no longer breathing from his stomach with his chest moving front to back as he sits ... that's what he was doing yesterday. He doesn't seem to be 'breathing hard' like yesterday ... he's only had one pill of the prednisone. I'm hoping that it's mild enough to just keep under control w/meds on occasion or that it goes away.

He's so darn cute.

What a life! :razz:

Forum List

Back