Fining parents for truancy

Can't argue with you there, but that will never happen. A free compulsory K-12 education is an American institution that most people support. And there more than a few that would like to see that extended to college as well.

As long as we have the law, it should be enforced. If it's not going to be enforced, then change it.

Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. They will do whatever they can get away with. But many of them welcome boundaries. It makes life a bit less complicated. They shouldn't have to choose between the mall and school. The decision should be made for them.

English is not my native language, so I apologize if something seems unclear. Please comment.

I don't understand why so many adults insist on keeping to do something that obviously doesn't work and when signs on the inefficiency presents itself they keep on and on insisting that what they're doing is right and that the signs on inefficiency are wrong.
It's so stupid and backwards thinking that it's almost hilarious. Very unscientific.

I'm talking about, of course, the way the classes are taught and the subjects available in the school.

I can't think about one line of work where one is obliged to name all the presidents; or for that matter know every detail of every historic event in history. Instead many workplaces want their employees to have a basic understanding of computer science, social interaction with potential clients, leading skills, creative thinking et cetera.

The schools of today are based on educational criteria that was relevant in the beginning of the 1900s. The design of classrooms also show as much; students lined up to face a teacher and blackboard, as has been the standard design of classrooms since the 1500s and 1600s monasteries had the monopoly on education and teaching.

What we need now is a revolution of the educational system. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money, but it does require new, creative thinking and a willingness to take some chances, think smart and trust that the students of today wants to learn and doesn't want to waste their time, which is essentially the problem with young people cutting classes today: it has no real consequences to them and I don't mean fining, I mean in the term of becoming uneducated and lacking basic understanding needed to make something of yourself in our new world.

I believe that children, all children, basically wants to learn. They want to educate themselves and understand why, how, when and where (we see this in kindergarten classes and the first few years of school. What happens to that joy?).
But if it doesn't seem relevant to the life they are preparing themselves for or if it's presented in an old fashioned way that keeps them from thinking for themselves, keeps them from reflecting and forming their own thoughts and opinions on the matter at hand, then they give up – not on learning, but on the educational system that in it's conservative and in some aspects even primitive way of teaching is basically educating children on how to be robots; nothing more than a search engine like Google filled with all these facts and numbers and dates, but without the ability to combine them in a matter that is relevant or even useful in todays society and what is demanded in the work field today.

At some point your youngsters lose the love for learning and why? That is the question and not how we through bullying and fining can force children to go to a school they hate and where only a small percentage thrive, a big middle is struggling and another small percentage is giving up because none of the subjects focus on the skills these children actually have.

I have a BA in social education and is currently taking a candidate in sociology of social education.

I think making the parents pay for the kids mess ups is wrong. We as parents have enough bills to worry about. We can't control what our kids do when their out of our home. Why don't the schools have better security. Someone to guard the freakin doors.

Forum List

Back