Finding Peace with a Troubled Past

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
We all go through trials and tribulations in our lives. What has allowed you to move forward in your life from past difficulties?

I'd like to invite anyone who is interested to share something about what worked for you.

For me, I went through a difficult few years and tried EVERYTHING to cut through it. Finally, I found a combination of Feldenkrais--body awareness through movement, a practice called "Focusing" which I continue to train in, to shift things.

Share whatever you'd like.

Dhara

We all go through trials and tribulations in our lives. What has allowed you to move forward in your life from past difficulties?

I'd like to invite anyone who is interested to share something about what worked for you.

For me, I went through a difficult few years and tried EVERYTHING to cut through it. Finally, I found a combination of Feldenkrais--body awareness through movement, a practice called "Focusing" which I continue to train in, to shift things.

Dhara
I was an active alcoholic fro age 12 to 50, then I got sober, and it worked. Life is amazing

Moving forward, surviving the pain and crazy. My oldest daughter died some years ago, and I am sure I was crazy for a couple of years. Focusing on the positive is essential when one is in a rough patch. So create a lot of positives in one's life.

However . . . remember everyone has a troubled past: everyone.

You are not alone.

...and since many have had troubles, some seek to define people by their worst moment. Lower others to raise yourself simply is not a long term solution.

Dhara
I've found that the best way for me is to move on, try not to think about what happened, and to understand that shit happens.
Life is not a smooth road. Life's road is full of potholes, curves, and hills to climb. Never look in the rear view mirror, just keep moving forward and hope for the best.
Life is one long school, we learn every single day of our lives.The bad times enable us to appreciate the good times. Always be thankful and appreciative, regardless of what happened, for we never know whether it could've been worse or not. And most of the time when we feel that we have the weight of the world on our shoulders, six months down the road we look back and realize that it wasn't so bad after all, we made it through it.

It's been said that as long as one has their health, then everything else can be dealt with and conquered. One of life's secrets to happiness, is the ability to understand. Understanding is the key to peace, harmony, and a healthy attitude. Understanding is probably the greatest gift of all. A positive attitude goes a long way in overcoming adversities and misfortunes. Find a reason to smile every single day, and in everything, give thanks.

Dhara
I've found that the best way for me is to move on, try not to think about what happened, and to understand that shit happens.
Life is not a smooth road. Life's road is full of potholes, curves, and hills to climb. Never look in the rear view mirror, just keep moving forward and hope for the best.
Life is one long school, we learn every single day of our lives.The bad times enable us to appreciate the good times. Always be thankful and appreciative, regardless of what happened, for we never know whether it could've been worse or not. And most of the time when we feel that we have the weight of the world on our shoulders, six months down the road we look back and realize that it wasn't so bad after all, we made it through it.

It's been said that as long as one has their health, then everything else can be dealt with and conquered. One of life's secrets to happiness, is the ability to understand. Understanding is the key to peace, harmony, and a healthy attitude. Understanding is probably the greatest gift of all. A positive attitude goes a long way in overcoming adversities and misfortunes. Find a reason to smile every single day, and in everything, give thanks.
That's a very positive out look.

One thing I try to keep in mind when you get knocked down completely.....

Say it's a loss that changes your life forever. What I needed to let go of, was the idea that I could get back to the way my life was before the devastation. What I found is a different life, and hung on long enough to appreciate that for what it had become, and was able to look back on who I'd lost, and remember the good times more often than the bad.

Dhara

That's a very positive out look.

One thing I try to keep in mind when you get knocked down completely.....

Say it's a loss that changes your life forever. What I needed to let go of, was the idea that I could get back to the way my life was before the devastation. What I found is a different life, and hung on long enough to appreciate that for what it had become, and was able to look back on who I'd lost, and remember the good times more often than the bad.
You did great. I'm proud of you for staying positive and moving forward with your life. I wish you all the best.

You are soooo fortunate, TM, to have pulled out of your alcoholism. I wish my adopted kids bio mom could recover from her addiction. It's so sad to see someone self-destruct.

You are soooo fortunate, TM, to have pulled out of your alcoholism. I wish my adopted kids bio mom could recover from her addiction. It's so sad to see someone self-destruct.
Sometimes it only takes one person that really and honestly cares about someone to get them to change from bad to good. After talking to many with addictions and a troubled life, I found that the one common denominator all of them had was a lack of someone in their life that really gave a damn about them. When people feel that they're serving no purpose in life, they turn to either addictions or crime, usually both. And, most of the time it's to get attention, any attention, whether it's good attention or bad attention doesn't matter to them. Also, addiction is a way to block out troubles and feelings of low self worth. They mix with the wrong crowd looking for acceptance, in any shape, form, or fashion.

It's human nature to want to be needed, loved, and wanted, we all have that desire in us. It's part of makes up the human species. We're group creatures, and need to belong. The problem is that many people feel left out of the main stream, feel unwanted or unneeded, and alone even when they're surrounded by friends and family. This feeling of inadequacy, coupled with self-doubt and low self-esteem, encourages doing all the wrong things, and mixing with all the wrong people.

I think that you'll find those that have turned their life around, and have taken the right path in life, had someone that finally gave a damn about them. Someone who really cared what happened to them, and made them feel wanted and needed. Also, when a person has someone that really cares about them, they are usually afraid to mess up for fear of disappointing that special person in their life. Love is a powerful tool. Love is a powerful force. Love is a human necessity just like food and water. Someone that really cares about another, is all it takes to change a life, lift spirits of those down, and encourage a productive life. We forget sometimes just how much we can help someone just by caring, showing genuine concern, and speaking words of encouragement.

( Pillars is going to kill me for this. It's more than 10 words )

Sometimes it only takes one person that really and honestly cares about someone to get them to change from bad to good. After talking to many with addictions and a troubled life, I found that the one common denominator all of them had was a lack of someone in their life that really gave a damn about them. When people feel that they're serving no purpose in life, they turn to either addictions or crime, usually both. And, most of the time it's to get attention, any attention, whether it's good attention or bad attention doesn't matter to them. Also, addiction is a way to block out troubles and feelings of low self worth. They mix with the wrong crowd looking for acceptance, in any shape, form, or fashion.

It's human nature to want to be needed, loved, and wanted, we all have that desire in us. It's part of makes up the human species. We're group creatures, and need to belong. The problem is that many people feel left out of the main stream, feel unwanted or unneeded, and alone even when they're surrounded by friends and family. This feeling of inadequacy, coupled with self-doubt and low self-esteem, encourages doing all the wrong things, and mixing with all the wrong people.

I think that you'll find those that have turned their life around, and have taken the right path in life, had someone that finally gave a damn about them. Someone who really cared what happened to them, and made them feel wanted and needed. Also, when a person has someone that really cares about them, they are usually afraid to mess up for fear of disappointing that special person in their life. Love is a powerful tool. Love is a powerful force. Love is a human necessity just like food and water. Someone that really cares about another, is all it takes to change a life, lift spirits of those down, and encourage a productive life. We forget sometimes just how much we can help someone just by caring, showing genuine concern, and speaking words of encouragement.

Unfortunately, I can't be the kids moms friend. I can't help, I'm raising her kids. Lots of people care about the kids mom, but she's active drug user. She burns a lot of bridges with bad behavior.

Sonny--

Why do you give a shit about Pillars in this thread? It's not the Flame Zone.

Unfortunately, I can't be the kids moms friend. I can't help, I'm raising her kids. Lots of people care about the kids mom, but she's active drug user. She burns a lot of bridges with bad behavior.
I understand. Yes, there're those that can't be helped. I've know some like that also. But, you're doing enough by raising her kid. That speaks a lot about you, and the kind of person you are. You have a big heart. I respect you for that.

The best advice that I can give is to keep the scale as level as you can if the good in your picture can not out weigh the bad. Focus on the good and surround yourself with it as much as you can.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back