Finally!! UN votes for No Fly Zone!!

Oh I see, so Clinton was wrong? I don't think so. He did screw up ala the arms embargo but on the end the UN wasn't going to do squat.

Ease up dude. Let's see what comes of this. Let's hope the rebels can regain their positions.

Hey, sorry, but I can read a map. And looking at a map, the key town and crossroads Gadaffi TOOK from the rebels a day and a half ago at the elbow of the gulf of Sirta, is Ajdabiya its the key road to the West, to Tripoli. IF the rebels are going to take Gadaffi down, they will have to get there. I just don't see us or anyone else absent some boots on the ground in the way of Forward Observers and massive arms shipments etc etc getting that done before the euphoria wears off.

Hey, look anything is possible,Gadaffis forces could melt away, but its usually best to put all the odds in your favor when they present themselves, not wait till the diplomats think its all sweetness and light because they crossed the T's and dotted the I's.

or, how about this, Gadaffi comes to an accommodation with the rebels,we leave then he beats the crap out of them?:lol:

On another front Politically how does this play out as Saudi troops rolled down the causeway helping Bahrain's king stay in power by shooting people in the street?What if the rebels in Bahrain appeal for help to the UN? Politically how does Obama and the UN square that circle?

Last edited:
Has Obama asked the Congress for authorization to make war on Lybia?

He was waiting for the UN, which I admit has come nearly too late. Obama is not going to take military action unilaterally. He has done the right thing. Now, we need to pound Quackdafi into the desert!
Has Obama asked the congress for authorization to make war on Lybia?

Personally, I think we should support the rebels, but I would not support commiting US military assets unless and until the Congress authorizes it.

good question, its iffy, here ya go..

The War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548) was a United States Congress joint resolution providing that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or if the United States is already under attack or serious threat. The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress,overriding a presidential veto.

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hey he'll be in Rio for the next several days so, I am sure he'll ponder this...:eusa_hand: Wonder where the media will wind up on this.........:eusa_whistle:

Cruise missles will be taking out his ground control, probably within the next two hours. His airforce will soon become a salvage yard.

Yes, as we all know, there's nothing more threatening than a resolution authorizing the international community to take "all necessary measures," short of sending in ground troops, to protect civilians.

:cuckoo:

Last edited:
He was waiting for the UN, which I admit has come nearly too late. Obama is not going to take military action unilaterally. He has done the right thing. Now, we need to pound Quackdafi into the desert!
Has Obama asked the congress for authorization to make war on Lybia?

Personally, I think we should support the rebels, but I would not support commiting US military assets unless and until the Congress authorizes it.

good question, its iffy, here ya go..

The War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548) was a United States Congress joint resolution providing that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or if the United States is already under attack or serious threat. The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress,overriding a presidential veto.

War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hey he'll be in Rio for the next several days so, I am sure he'll ponder this...:eusa_hand: Wonder where the media will wind up on this.........:eusa_whistle:
Aside from what is likely an Unconstitutional piece of crap of legislation, the president is not empowered to commit US forces to combat unless the US is attacked, is about to be attacked or to prevent an attack. If he's going to join a war of choice he needs congressional authorization.

Just for once, let someone else take the lead.

jeeze i do like the sound of this. it would be nice, but i don't think it's going to happen.
the u.n. is a eunuch.

All Republican presidents have argued that the WPR is unconstitutional, Clinton just plain ignored it.

I have not heard that Obama has asked permission from Congress on this. It should be not hard to get, as the Republicans would vote yes because they believe the president has that authority already, and the Democrats just want to help him out.

jeeze i do like the sound of this. it would be nice, but i don't think it's going to happen.
the u.n. is a eunuch.

:eek:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!

The U.N. is the most effective body on the planet for promoting peaceful coexistance!!!

All Republican presidents have argued that the WPR is unconstitutional, Clinton just plain ignored it.

I have not heard that Obama has asked permission from Congress on this. It should be not hard to get, as the Republicans would vote yes because they believe the president has that authority already, and the Democrats just want to help him out.

And if things go sour, the Republican can always say they were duped into voting for the war.

And if things go sour, the Republican can always say they were duped into voting for the war.

let the games.....begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_whistle:

Obama is not going to take military action unilaterally.

That's because he's not a leader.

While I agree with you, there is no need or unilateral military action. There's other countries, like France, that can do this one. Libya is more their concern than ours, or the Brits - or the EU jointly.

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. I'm pissed that the House resolution failed to pull out of Afghanistan today. But in the case of Libya, the rebels were begging us to help them, unlike Iraq and Afghanistan.

That's because he's not a leader.

While I agree with you, there is no need or unilateral military action. There's other countries, like France, that can do this one. Libya is more their concern than ours, or the Brits - or the EU jointly.

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all. I'm pissed that the House resolution failed to pull out of Afghanistan today. But in the case of Libya, the rebels were begging us to help them, unlike Iraq and Afghanistan.

well, thats not exactly fair; in 91 we let the shiite down in Iraq, no no fly open till it was all over, could be same here.

The rebels in Libya are behind their own lines so to speak so they aren't getting turned into garden mulch ala the Shiite in Iraq, they really had no enclave to beg from.

Afghanistan was a flat out war of aggression and the Taliban had a pretty good hold on the populace there too....

well, thats not exactly fair; in 91 we let the shiite down in Iraq, no no fly open till it was all over, could be same here.

The rebels in Libya are behind their own lines so to speak so they aren't getting turned into garden mulch ala the Shiite in Iraq, they really had no enclave to beg from.

Afghanistan was a flat out war of aggression and the Taliban had a pretty good hold on the populace there too....

War of Aggression...opposed to a War of ....what.......?

War of Flying commercial jets into-office-buildings?

Forum List

Back