Finally purchased Closing Time............

...........by Tom Waits tonight. It's his first studio album, originally released in 1973. The CD sounds quite good, Tom's vocals aren't as ragged as they would become later in his career. The songs have a bluesy, late-night feel. It features a song that the Eagles covered, Ol' '55. Pick this one up if you're a fan of laid back bluesy music.
Say, that's really good listening, bluzman61. Thanks.
You're welcome. Yep, Waits' Closing Time IS quite good.
I don't know how long I've been reading his biography, but what a guy. How did he manage to avoid being a superstar, I wonder. His music that I heard on the album (I heard the whole thing, thanks to Youtube), is quite better than good, excellent, and I was wondering why I'd not heard of him before, but like his career and life, which has been spent as nothing less than pretty good he doesn't seem to be knocking himself out to be a superstar, he seems more interested in being a good family man whose goals for family are more important to him than fame. I really like what was said of him. That's special, to have the gift to be but instead, choosing to set that in the back corner to be someone who lets his kids know he's there for them. It's not what is said of him, but more what is NOT said that makes me like the guy. Thanks for putting that album in your thread, bluzman61. I won't forget this Christmas.

Edit ad-ons:
His bio: Tom Waits - Wikipedia
Discography: Tom Waits discography - Wikipedia
Film Appearances: Tom Waits (actor) - YouTube

Last edited:
Not to mention 40 theatrical credits to his name ... the man is a treasure...

Paradise-Alley-movie.jpg
Yep, he's a pretty decent actor as well.
Yes indeed, I just don't have any of the movies in my collection that he took part in, but now, I wouldn't mind seeing them even if he did bit parts. If they're anything like his discography, they're a master work. I never heard of him before seeing your post.

...........by Tom Waits tonight. It's his first studio album, originally released in 1973. The CD sounds quite good, Tom's vocals aren't as ragged as they would become later in his career. The songs have a bluesy, late-night feel. It features a song that the Eagles covered, Ol' '55. Pick this one up if you're a fan of laid back bluesy music.
I don't know how long I've been reading his biography, but what a guy. How did he manage to avoid being a superstar, I wonder. His music that I heard on the album (I heard the whole thing, thanks to Youtube), is quite better than good, excellent, and I was wondering why I'd not heard of him before, but like his career and life, which has been spent as nothing less than pretty good he doesn't seem to be knocking himself out to be a superstar, he seems more interested in being a good family man whose goals for family are more important to him than fame. I really like what was said of him. That's special, to have the gift to be but instead, choosing to set that in the back corner to be someone who lets his kids know he's there for them. It's not what is said of him, but more what is NOT said that makes me like the guy. Thanks for putting that album in your thread, bluzman61. I won't forget this Christmas.

You're welcome, again. I think Waits never really WANTED to be a superstar. I believe he's always been comfortable being an outsider or outcast. He certainly COULD'VE been a superstar. One amazing about him is he's in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. I think his peers know how talented he is, and that is SO cool.

Paradise-Alley-movie.jpg
Yes indeed, I just don't have any of the movies in my collection that he took part in, but now, I wouldn't mind seeing them even if he did bit parts. If they're anything like his discography, they're a master work. I never heard of him before seeing your post.
He IS a fine actor, as well.

Paradise-Alley-movie.jpg
So I noticed when I located his short appearances all in one you-tube:

Who knew? *sigh*​

You're welcome, again. I think Waits never really WANTED to be a superstar. I believe he's always been comfortable being an outsider or outcast. He certainly COULD'VE been a superstar. One amazing about him is he's in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame. I think his peers know how talented he is, and that is SO cool.
Not only did his peers know how talented Waits is, they likely made sure he was listed in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. His work is like the glue that makes all else make sense.

Paradise-Alley-movie.jpg

Who knew? *sigh*​

Thanks for the post.

Paradise-Alley-movie.jpg

Who knew? *sigh*​

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for opening a door into someone who made his life into a reflecting pond of the soul of various and sundry things and people we seldom think twice about, but maybe we should.

I love everything by Waits but one of my all time favorites can be found on "Closing Time".

I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love With You. My wife doesn't have the same view of Waits as I do but even she admitted it's a beautiful song.

There are very few artists that continue to write great works through the decades. Tom has done that. From the earlier mentioned song to Hell Broke Luce.

Forum List

Back